PDA

View Full Version : Trip home through Bilpin in Autumn.

Debzy
06-01-2012, 08:14 AM
This is the early stage of an autumn scene watercolour. Photo taken through the car window whilst my daughter was having a driving lesson. Any and all critique welcome, its a long way from finished, and still have 4 others to finish too. Hopefully will get some done during the next week! too many lying around unfinished. cheers Debs. =)) :D

arnieb
06-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Like the way youve blocked in the colour, and sketched in the trees.
Wondering if trees on the left - such a large block of same colour - will look out of balance? Arnie

Debzy
06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi and thanks for your feedback Arnie! Yes, the trees on the left do look like a big block of the same colour at this stage, but they will change as the painting progresses. I will have to add some shadows and darker colours to show separation of the trees as they move away into the distance and also add more colour and shadow to the underside of the trees and the road. More detail in the foreground, maybe some spattering to add light glints and highlights and take the foliage up into the trees on the top right. There is also a car on the road in the far distance and road posts in the foreground that will give perspective hopefully, these should make a difference I think. It is a lovely stretch of road, it begged to be painted. Cheers Arnie and thanks again! Debs. =))

Debzy
06-08-2012, 02:35 AM
this is the next stage. Progressing slowly as I am working on about 5 paintings at the moment. Still a long way to go, need to add less vivid green to the right, more variation and separation on the left colour block and also branches, shadows and road edges etc. =))

Andrewcody
06-11-2012, 08:41 AM
It is really taking shape Deb, you have a nice touch as always with water colour.

Debzy
06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks Andrew, I was thinking of putting an emu in there strolling up the road =)) Just kidding. I still have a bit of work to do on this one, it is one of my bigger works, I hope it turns out, I really want this one to be good! I thought I might try using some dry brush and spatter on the trees, especially on the left side. What do you think? I'm also not sure whether to put the side posts in that are showing in the reference, there is one at the left about level with the 2nd tree, and one on the right before the big tree. I thought they might show distance/perspective etc, but not sure if they will detract from the nice open country feel? Also there will be a very small car in the distance, almost at the end of where you can see on the road. =)) Cheers Debs

Debzy
06-29-2012, 02:13 AM
Next stage. Almost finished, still have to put the car in and a few more tweaks here and there.! All C & C welcome please =)) Debs.

Andrewcody
06-29-2012, 02:32 AM
An Echidna would not be out of place in Bilpin, Currawongs and Lyrebirds too from memory.
I would opt for the Echidna though :)
For the car....if you imagined that road bending to the left at the end you could depict a vehicle better than a head on or tail on perspective - just a thought.
Then again just because you have a road doesn't mean you have to have a car.....push bike?
Nice feel to this painting.
Andrew

Debzy
06-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks Andrew, I was thinking perhaps a wombat or kangaroo.... then again, a Koala could be sitting very comfortably in the tree on the right????? Hmmmm.... maybe an echidna.... As for the car / bike, yeah, you might have a good idea there! I will think on that one, thank you. Cheers. Debs. =))

Debzy
07-03-2012, 02:59 AM
added a bit more. =)) On the reference photo there are broken white lines on the road. Do you think I should add them or not? opinions please??? Debs. =))

Andrewcody
07-03-2012, 08:46 AM
This is really spectacular Deb, Like the road posts, so real.
I am not sure about the road markings, I guess the road should have them and as long as they are subdued yes. You know the road best from your reference.

Andrew

TDCT
07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi (:

About the road lines...I think it depends on what you're going for. Right now it looks more like a fantasy road, like a fairy tale or somewhere special and hidden. Adding the road lines (I think) would make it look more real world and grounded. Both will be nice I'm sure though. And if you do add them I would agree with Andrewcody and say they should definitely be muted.

This is water colour though? If so, adding the road lines - which I assume will be slightly lighter than the road, might still be pretty fixable if it doesn't turn out. So maybe it's worth a try? Looking at your other work in here you seem to be great at changing major things in water colours haha, which I always found impossible :S. So I think it will be fine to try if you want!

It's really pretty (:.

Debzy
07-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Thankyou for your kind support Andrew and TDCT! I am very grateful for your feedback. I have marked the lines in roughly with pastel blue chalk to get an idea of hoe it would look. What is your opinion? I think if done subtly it would look ok? Hoping to get your C & C when you can. Thanks heaps. Cheers and keep smiling and painting.... Debs. =))

Trumper
07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
:) That has really come on leaps and bounds.:) Maybe a small shape of a vehicle right in the distance,a rough edge to the road,pot hole maybe but nothing big.
Looks lovely :)

Debzy
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Awww.......Thank you Trumper, lovely to hear from you! I much appreciate your input as always! Yes there will be a small vehicle in the far distance and I will attempt to add some roughness to the road and edges. What do you think about the road lines, I have mixed feelings whether to leave them in or not? Most of my friends and family say NO road lines, they like the country lane look. I have only chalked them in to get an idea and can remove them but I think they give it distance and dimension? Advice from more experienced artists are welcome.... Trumper, would you leave the lines on the road or not??? =)) Cheers. Debs. =)) x

AllisonR
07-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Personally, I like the scene a lot better without the road lines. And without that small white pole you added on the left. If you have to keep the white pole, which shouts to me "modern society jumping in here!" then I think you should add the white street lines. If you can get rid of the pole, then don't add modern society markers.
Really charming scene. I don't do watercolors, so I found it fascinating to see how you started and then added more and more. The colors in your trees is really grand.

Andrewcody
07-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Road Lines - I am not sold on the lines either :) especially at the road edges.
But as has been noted you do have a knack of doing the right thing
Andrew

Trumper
07-05-2012, 04:15 AM
Hi Deb,Personally i would lose the white lines on the road edges although maybe tone down the ones in the middle as more of a suggestion.
In the UK the road edges are generally higher than the road surface whether it is vegetation or pathways. Obviously i don't know the area of the painting so stay true to what you see and want.:)

Debzy
07-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Oh thank you so much Allison, Trumper and Andrew. I do agree, I will lose the lines but maybe leave a hint of them through the middle of the road. I may turn the road-post into just a brown wooden post that looks old and add some roughness along the edges of the road. I think I can make it into a nice old country road scene by doing this. Thank you again very much for your advice and feedback. I appreciate it greatly. I will post next instalment when I can. Cheers and keep smiling ... Debs. =))

Andrewcody
07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Look forward to seeing what you do Deb

Andrew

Debzy
07-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Well.... I changed the road posts to brown, got rid of the lines, added more leaves to the trees and made the road look bumpy. What do you think so far? Still have to add the car, but I want the rest to be pretty much done before I do. =))

Debzy
07-06-2012, 08:56 AM
I think I will put it into the Open Forum now anyway, as it is almost complete. I will add a car or a person walking up the road tomorrow. Cheers and thank you everybody. xxx

Trumper
07-07-2012, 04:19 AM
:) Look terrific,well done

Debzy
07-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks so much Trumper, much appreciated! I made a few minor changes and put it in the open forum. Cheers and keep smiling. Debs. =))

arnieb
07-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Wow - all the colour and detail - wonderful :thumbsup: Arnie

TDCT
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I love it (:. And I do like it better without the road lines. Very nice!

Debzy
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks Arnie and TDCT ! I did add some very faint subtle broken lines but they are not too obvious. I have posted it in the open forum and I also softened the road shadows some and added some distant road posts to take the eye along the road. I also softened the dark distant tunnel look and I am happy to leave it now. Thank you again, the feedback and critique from fellow WC friends is priceless and I have learnt so much from you all. cheers. Debs. =))

TecoAndJix
08-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Love this! You have a lot of work but from what i looked through this is my fav. I think it's because it reminds me of a road my father and i use to drive down as a kid. Great reds and oranges~

Debzy
08-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks Teco, I am flattered! I did actually post the finished version in the open forum with a few minor changes. Glad it reminds you of home! Thanks so much. Welcome to WC and Hope to see more of you. Cheers =)) Debs.