Dimension: 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A plein air done while on vacation. :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all critiques would be welcome

tgsloth
06-01-2012, 07:25 AM
This is a good composition but it's not really a painting; it's an under-painting. By adding additional layers, you can continually improve it which is the process by which all good oil paintings are made. Are you working from a photograph or "inventing" the scene? If you have a photograph, please post it and you will get more informed critiques.

tylerminix1231
06-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I had to work supper quick with this one, the clouds changed so quickly. I did manage to snap a few photos, but I usually try to leave plein air's as-is. I am however looking to make this a master peice, with much more planning. So I will post a pic of that morning. One thing that amazed me was how different the light looked from my camera vs. what I was seeing.

tylerminix1231
06-01-2012, 10:32 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2012/1071662-116.JPG

I am amazed at how different the pic looks vs. what I thought I was seeing painting the plein air. Thanks for all the advice ;) luv luv

God bless,
Tyler.

eyecandy2
06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Your eyes see into the shadows better than a photograph can. A photo only has about 20 gradations of values. You eyes have so much more. You can do more with photos these days by taking 3 or more different shots with different exposures and create a print that captures the shadow detail as well as the highlight detail using a program like Photomatrix or Photoshop. It is nice to remember that we can't really capture too many values in a painting so me must look to simplify and decide what to include and what to leave out. Hits of what is shown in the shadows is often enough in a painting. This is a pretty scene but you have to really work on that sky since it is so important in this scene.

tgsloth
06-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks for posting the photo. It makes the "way forward" much clearer. The trick, I think, is to go after the biggest problems and then subsequent changes become the next biggest. Eventually, you've got a fine painting. So I suggest that two big immediate problems are the size of the palm trees (you've made them way too big) and the strong yellow tone in the sky. The photo shows that the yellow is only near the horizon, not above the clouds and I think most viewers would find all that yellow above the clouds to look "wrong." So, if you agree, you'll paint over the yellow above the sky to make it whitish blue and completely paint out the palm trees with cloud and horizon sunset hues. When that dries, you can repaint the palm trees much smaller.