PDA

View Full Version : Quail

Gobie
05-31-2012, 09:00 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-31-2012/976125_IMG_7428-001.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Quail
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
We spent some time (&money) in Laughlin Nev. this past winter. We had our dog with us so we did a lot of walking. Spotted these quail almost every time we walked, took many photos and this is the painting that resulted

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks for looking!
Sharon

Debzy
06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi Sharon, I love this painting. Awww, sweet little things! I think both the birds and background / surrounds are lovely. I like the fact that the patterns on the side of the quails belly seem to balance nicely with the pattern you have in the pebbly foreground. Well done in my opinion, I love to see birds painted or drawn well, they are such delightful creatures. Lovely work. Cheers. Debs. =))

Gobie
06-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Thankyou Deb for your nice comments!
I believe these are male Gambel's Quail.
Do you have Quail in Australia?Where I live they are not common but just this spring we spotted a pair in our neighborhood. All the neighbors are watching them, hoping the pair will raise a family.
Sharon

Debzy
06-02-2012, 11:53 PM
You are welcome Sharon, I really love your painting. Yes, we do have Quails, but I don't see them around my area. They are lovely birds. The ones you have painted are very pretty. :clap: I don't think ours are as colourful. I will look into it though, now I am curious! :D :wave: Debs. = ))

tgsloth
06-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Beautifully painted; great harmonized palette. Two ideas:
The foggy bg is a little abrupt. Suggest some forms in there.
And these birds are absolute twins. Make some changes to the one on the right so as to emphasize the one on the left. Changes could be in the form of the head as well as de-saturating that red comb and losing a few edges.

Gobie
06-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks Bob for your suggestions, I can see what you mean by changing the value and softening the edges on the right bird, it would help put that one behind the one in front.
Sharon

AllisonR
06-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Lovely painting. Agree it is a twin painting, hard to pull off. Agree better to make each more unique or fade/soften the back one. I think the fog background works well - because it makes the red on their heads and underbellies stronger and pop more, and helps with the 3rd red in the rocks to provide harmony. I think if you add stuff to the background you might distract from your birds. If you are too add, I would add greens/yellows, not reds or browns.

Coen1
06-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Nice piece. You must be a patient person and that pays. It looks neat. I suggest to paint the bush a little wider behind the quail on the right and adding some very vague bushes (in the fog you already created) behind the quails. But I 'll still be your friend if you decide otherwise!:smug:

Andrewcody
06-07-2012, 03:13 AM
Nice Gambel's Quail, Deb is correct we do have quail here, but they are not particularly pretty, mostly brown. They need to hide from humans as we are their biggest predator.

Here is one for reference:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2012/64395-emu.jpg

OH sorry that is an Emu :wave:

Andrew

dgford
06-07-2012, 07:07 AM
The fiercest "quail" I have ever seen, Andrew !!!
Geoff

Gobie
06-09-2012, 12:39 PM
LOL! Too funny Andrew!!
Thankyou everyone for your great advice and comments, this painting sold so I can't change anything on it. I am working on a merganser hen and her 4 babies, although all 4 babies look exactly alike I am trying to give each one a individual look, hopfully that will make a more interesting painting.
Sharon

Debzy
06-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Hah!!! Love your big ugly Quail Andrew!!! Well done on the sale Sharon, a lovely painting for a lucky buyer. Looking forward to your hen and chickens, keep smiling ( and how can we not smile with Andrew on the forum =)) !!!!! ) Cheers Debs.

AllanFink1960
06-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Andrew, I have to go change my pants now. Thanks a bunch.

Andrewcody
06-11-2012, 03:46 AM
Sorry Allan, we grow them big down here, at least you can hear them coming to get you. :)

Debzy
06-11-2012, 04:32 AM
Andrew, you should do a painting of him, he is gorgeous!!! It would make a wonderful painting! =)) Debs