PDA

View Full Version : Norge Troll

mlambel
06-14-2003, 08:52 PM
How's this for a troll with that Norway look?

captan
06-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Personally I have no idea how this would associate to Norway. Never heard of a Norway look for trolls. He looks creepy enough though, would do well in some creepy childrens book about elfs and stuff.

Skinny
06-15-2003, 07:22 AM
OOOoooo, I like it. That NOSE! Danny Thomas, eat your heart out.

Captan, what are the creatures of Scandinavian myth?

captan
06-15-2003, 08:13 AM
Well, we have trolls and giants and elfs and "vättar" (there's no english translation - they're like little orcs or sumpin) and "tomtar" (the word "tomte" is used for SantaClause here (we call him "Tomten") - but he is not the only "tomte" so to speak - the once that live in the forests are kinda like dwarfs and can be really mean and you can also have a "Hustomte" or "GårdsTomte" or something like that - and they would live in your attic or under your house or somewhere on your farm or somehting - and if you gave them porrige - they'd be nice - if you didn't something bad would happen) and then we have all the Viking age Gods like Tor and Oden and so fourth. uumm, the typical fantasy mix I supposse.. I think in general our mythical creatures are darker and scarier than the mythical creatures in other cultures. Most of the above mentioned would be scary - even the elfs.

oh and then there's also some individual creatures like the "Näcken" which would lure you to drown yourself with his hypnotising (violin)play and there's others I think, but I can't come up with any good examples now..

That's for the "scandinavian" mythology. Which does include Finnland - but in a sence it does not. As I'm a finn myself I was brought up in the traditions of "Kalevala" - which is a book that was compiled from the folktales in Finnland by a man named Elias Lönnrot. I've only read a few chapters and just like the Odysseus of greek mythology - it's written in a certain meter (also known as the Kalevala meter), which is really difficult to read - at least I think so (we had to read a bunch of it in school). And it contains all kinds of stories about gods and legendary humans like the "Blacksmith Ilmarinen". Thoo much for me to type about.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention that the REAL Santa Clause lives in Finnland in a place called "Korvatunturi". Not on the Northpole like some people seem to think. That's a fact. :D

mlambel
06-15-2003, 11:20 AM
This piece is modeled after the trolls made by Ny-Form in Norway. Artist Trygve Torgersen designs most of their trolls. His trolls are based on the mountain & forrest trolls from Norwegian folklore They are world famous for their trolls & have been making them for 35-40 years. Ny-Form trolls are much more true to the base folktales than the cutesy Dam Things trolls that became popular in the 1960s. Although the Thomas Dam, (Denmark), troll design is the one still used for most toy troll production & is the most universally recognised troll.

mlambel
06-15-2003, 12:07 PM
Here are some examples of Ny-Form trolls, also some examples of Henning Engelsen carved wood trolls. Both classic Norwegian troll makers

Born in 1918, Henning started his wood-carving career in 1947 in a small workshop in Toten, Norway.

Although the carved wood Henning trolls lack the detail that the Ny-Form trolls have, they both exibit simular facial features.

Thomas Dam made trolls popular in the U.S.A. in the 1960s, but his trolls lack the scare factor that is implicit in Norwegian folklore. Thus the more creepy look of my work is intended to emulate a more authentic Norwegian troll look.
Martin

captan
06-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Oh, I see now what you meant by norwegan trolls. Personally I grew up with the trolls of John Bauer:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2003/14313-5.jpg

So that's the style I kinda recognise by "default" for trolls.

Skinny
06-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Wow, am I ever getting an education about Norwegian folklore!
Fascinating. Captan, that mean troll that lives in the attic and creates havoc when he doesn't get his porridge, well, in the U.S. (and Mexico, too).... he's known as an ex-husband.

Thanks to you and to Mlambel for the pictures....they'll probably populate the dreams for months to come.:D

plumpfairy
06-16-2003, 01:27 PM
:D WOW! I love ALL these troll pix! I now know more about Trolls than ever before! weeee!
My first memory of a troll was in a children's book....can't recall the name of the book....but, I do remember it was an American troll that lived under a little country bridge and would harrass people as they passed over the bridge....demanding food or money or somethin'.

thanks guys for the education!
jana:D ;)

mlambel
06-16-2003, 01:38 PM
sounds kinda like the "Three Billy Goats Gruff", That is what my "..Under the bridge" post is based on.

gongotaz
06-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Great!! I'm justy coming back from a journey in Norway and your troll is really what I was expecting to see in those forests.

mlambel
06-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Thank-You Gongotaz,<p>I'm glad to see someone knows what I am talking about without having to explain.<p>As you "just got back..", have you seen Skinny's thread titled "The Explorer"?
<br>Really Cool, & She wants input.<br>go here to see it:<br>
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113352

BingoBong
06-16-2003, 04:37 PM
I like what I see. And I have learned something from this thread, so there. Nice info and that Norwegian or Swedish is a sexy language, yeah, I like that alot.

Greetings,

Martin.

plumpfairy
06-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by mlambel
sounds kinda like the "Three Billy Goats Gruff", That is what my "..Under the bridge" post is based on.

:D THAT'S IT!! THAT'S IT!! THAT'S IT!
Thank you!
jana:D ;)