PDA

View Full Version : A Good Sale!

CarlyHardy
06-13-2003, 11:59 PM
I just got a flyer from Jerry's Artarama with Sennelier soft pastels on sale. If you love them, the 80 half stick set is $39.99. The 48 full size floral, or landscape, or portrait is $59.99. The 100 color wood box set, portrait or landscape (list $495) is on sale for $149.00!

You can find them online at www.jerrysartarama.com

If you order items not on the specials, you can get a 10% discount on your order by giving them this special discount code J5N53

I think I'm ordering the 80 half box set, just to have for later!!
carly

Mikki Petersen
06-14-2003, 03:18 AM
Carly, I have the 80 half stick set and love it. It has some beautiful colors including an very dark green and a very dark brown. How long is the sale?

CBruce
06-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks for posting this sale. I've been waiting for a chance to order the half sticks. I wonder if any of you have tried the Ampersand panels for pastels and what your impressions of them are. They have had several good sales on them and I thought I'd try them.

Kathryn Wilson
06-14-2003, 11:12 AM
CBruce: I have used the Ampersand clayboard for pastels - and just recently posted an example of it in the Weekly thread for this week. I'll attach it here.

My impression is one of very fine tooth, very solid surface with no give, takes the pastel very well. The cons are that if you need to correct something, there's not much tooth left and it comes in limited colors. Thought about trying to put an Art Spectrum Colour fix primer on it, but that might be defeating the fine tooth.

This was done on the grey board - 11 x 14 (I think). Not completed and you can see the area where I took something out (lower right) and can't seem to cover it up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2003/14941-pitcher2.JPG

:cat:

Mikki Petersen
06-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Cbruce, I am a fan of the Ampersand Pastelbord. It has a tooth like Art Spectrum paper. I have actually run the panel under water and scrubbed off a crappy work and painted a whole new subject with no problem. I love the rigid surface. No need to mount or back it and it won't ever get crinkled. When using papers, I always mount the paper on archival foamcore board with Photmount to get that rigid backing. My only problem has been that some of the pigment tends to fall away unless I use a fixative in the early layers.

As for the color selection, I buy white and do watercolor washes on it before beginning if I want a specific color surface. However, my favorite surface color is grey on any support because it allows for such a good ground for any colors I'm blocking in with.

If I have a real complaint, it's that I cannot find a local supplier for the Pastelbord which has an Art Spectrum-like finish. I've tried the Artbord and it does not have enough tooth for pastel. The only way I can get the Pastelbord is by ordering on-line.

chookbrown
06-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks Carly.. I don't have near the collection of some of you and need to add more quality sticks.. :D:D:D

CBruce
06-15-2003, 10:35 AM
Kyle and 1mpete, Thanks for your input on the Ampersand panels. I'm currently using the ones for acrylics and find them a very different surface to work on since they are so smooth. I like using Art Spectrum paper and using washes so the Pastel Panels sound like a good product, can't wait to get mine. (cheapjoes.com) I order many products online because they are cheaper and its just plain ole convenient to have someone bring it to the door:)

Mikki Petersen
06-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Yep! Me too! It's also less frustrating to be able to find what I'm looking for on the first try. Have you tried Art Supply Warehouse.com. I find their prices beat out everyone's.

CBruce
06-15-2003, 06:20 PM
1mpete, thanks for the info. Always looking for a bargain!:)

CarlyHardy
06-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Sale is good until August 31, 2003

Sennelier 80 Half Sticks $39.99
48 Full Stick Floral $59.99
48 Full Stick Landscape $59.99
48 Full Stick Portrait $59.99

They also have a good deal on a french easel with the french companion included for $119.99. The french companion is the wooden box I use for my pastels. It doesn't come with any padding because its designed for watercolor, acrylics and oils, but I added my own foam and it works great. The easel is a Creative Mark...know nothing about them.

They also have a good sale on creative edge canvases. I use the 3/4 inch a lot...the canvas is wrapped around the edge and locked in with another piece of wood stretcher in the back.

box of 6, size 8x10, $9.99; size 11x14, $12.99, etc.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this...
carly

CBruce
06-28-2003, 12:08 AM
Thanks Carly for your update. I order from about 6 different art sites and most are very good about response times. I'm still waiting for my cheap Joe pastel panels:( and hope they will come in soon. I'm anxious to try this on a rigid board without having to prepare it. I like that you can use washes to prepare it. We'll see!
Thanks for all the input:)

Dark_Shades
06-28-2003, 02:50 AM
Im waiting for my order of this ..... just wanted to try it out :

4 assorted Ampersand Pastelboards 5 x 7 special offer $5.98

http://www.dickblick.com/zz089/10/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=836

.... all their Ampersand is on Sale