PDA

View Full Version : More Pen and Ink Fish

Lamb43
06-13-2003, 11:21 PM
I call this piece Goldfish Tank, and while I'm fairly happy with the fish, I'm very UNhappy with my wash. Is it impossible to do this using watercolor pencils? I'm ready to move up to the regular watercolors that come in tubes, but don't want to add to my art supplies before we move. Is there anyway I can save this? I'm nearly desperate enough to do the whole background over in black ink Help:( ::confused: :( please?

Gutshot
06-14-2003, 02:45 AM
FISH!! the colors look great!

asaenz
06-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Your fish look great; they are so vibrant.

I want to ask you what/how you did the orange stippling on the fish scales?

Thank you

al

Lamb43
06-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by asaenz
Your fish look great; they are so vibrant.

I want to ask you what/how you did the orange stippling on the fish scales?

Thank you

al

I'm not quite sure if this is the stippling you're referring to or not, but perhaps a closeup would help. I did stippling in ink to add shadow/light effects to the fish. All the other shading is done with watercolor pencil.

I hope I've answered your question, I'm really quite a 'newbie' to this.:o

MonicaB
06-14-2003, 10:20 AM
I like it, Lamb -- both the fish and the background. Course, I'm no expert either. :D Go back and read the following thread; maybe that will help. Sounds like Sharon put an even, light layer of the WC pencil, then added water via brush.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113332

Jakeally
06-15-2003, 11:56 AM
I think this is lovely....I like the background and the fish are fab.

If you are not happy with it yet you can put more washes on the background to give more depth or more colour......and of course you can do this with W/C pencils if you are happier using them:D

Please don't cover the background in black.....give it a chance. Maybe put it away for a few days and come at it with fresh eyes.....you might be surprised:D :cat:

BTDogMom
06-18-2003, 01:04 PM
The trick 2 colored pencils - watercolor or not - is layers - now that u have your 1st layer/wash down go over the top & do your second - & try & always do the background 1st makes it much easier than trying 2 do it after your subject/s. I love your fish though - ok so now try something new like a dog or something :D - LOL!!!:clap: :clap:

amanda
06-22-2003, 05:24 AM
Oh, they're great. They belong in a story book or something. I love them, they've got a lot of character and attitude for fish! LOL.

sassybird
06-22-2003, 03:31 PM
BT is on the money with her advice. Layer and burnish between layers of color to get depth with colored pencils. The same goes with watercolor pencils. You put down very light layers, covering as much of the space as possible in small circular movements of a sharpe pencil, or short strokes if you prefer. Then go over it with a little more than damp brush. Wait until it dries then repeat the process either with the same color to darken areas, or you can add another color over it.

The only difference between what I like to do and how BT works is that I work the whole piece at one time instead of parts. For me I get a consitiency that is more pleasing to my eye. For others it is the oposite.

DragonladyfromOz
06-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey Lamb43 ... I love the fish!:clap: Especially as I am in the mode of doing goldfish too [great minds think alike... and all that, heheheee]. The many layers process works well, as Sassy and BT said, and I also found that using a damp sponge gave me a good effect on the background as it didn't look 'flat' when finished and covered up where some of my colour transitions weren't that flash. I didn't use the brush between layers but just applied a damp sea sponge, in splotches, at the end. Where I over-did the water on some parts I was able to go back when it dried and touch it up - so have a go with your WC pencils as it would be a great shame to lose this piece because the background bugs you.