PDA

View Full Version : June 3 Paintalong (paintathon)

sherrysherman
05-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I just did a little time traveling to next Sunday and can tell you you will all be really impressed and awed by the paintalong and Johannes's work. :lol:

Okay, actually, I am starting this early so that if there are pre-class questions, instructions, comments, they can go here. Also so that people have a place to post immediately during or after the paintalong itself, so things don't get stuck in other threads.

Mustbenuts
05-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Thank you, Sherry, for starting this. You are absolutely correct about the difficulty looking for "things" in the 50 page threads. Brilliant to get a step ahead for instructions etc. :clap: Rosemarie was thinking along the same lines. :)

sherrysherman
05-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Thank you, Sherry, for starting this. You are absolutely correct about the difficulty looking for "things" in the 50 page threads. Brilliant to get a step ahead for instructions etc. :clap: Rosemarie was thinking along the same lines. :)

Rosemarie actually DID start a new thread for May 27, but the mods decided to merge them into the other thread. We'll see if these separated ones get merged too. For those of us looking for related posts, images, etc, I think it's nicer to have a clear place to go. But we'll see. This thread too could disappear, get merged, whatever. :cool:

seahorsy
05-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I do hope the mods allow these individual paintalong threads as they are so much more convenient. So difficult to find things when threads are so big!
Sandy

chalet_dor
05-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Your are so correct. This will make it so much easier:clap: dor:))

hewill4giveu
05-29-2012, 01:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2012/184319-frozen-riverwebfinal.gif
okay im slow but here is last weeks paint along. Think i need to put a tad more gray in the background trees. LOOK JOE NO CAKE ICING!!!LOL
The last time i posted a winter scene it looked like cake icing. I am learning so much from these paint alongs Joe. Im going to be brave here pretty soon and do one of my own. Think i just might do it too. Thanks

Rosemarie
05-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Teresa - It is lovely but you should post in the Live Paint Along Classes Discussion Thread . This is for the coming Paint along June 3

hewill4giveu
05-29-2012, 03:07 PM
OH MY GOODNESs leave it to me to get the dates wrong sorry. Would the powers that be please move this to where it belongs. Sorry guys

Rosemarie
05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh, that isn't needed but do repost in the other thread anyway.

hewill4giveu
05-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Oh, that isn't needed but do repost in the other thread anyway.

Hum i do not see a link to post May20ths paint a Long . i know i seen others paintings what did they do with it LOL?? Wish they would put a delete button for us to remove stuff.

sherrysherman
05-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Hum i do not see a link to post May20ths paint a Long . i know i seen others paintings what did they do with it LOL?? Wish they would put a delete button for us to remove stuff.

No, there is no separate thread for May 20. People just started using the general paintalong discussion thread. That one is a whole mix of things, getting really long - there were discussion issues, download issues, students' paintings, then the May 27 paintings, more discussions.... it made it impossible to find specific things, like students' efforts. So now we are back to doing a thread for each paintalong. But there is no thread for May 20. Those are mostly posted in that general discussion thread.

To avoid more of that, I just went ahead and set up the June 3 thread -- this one.

hewill4giveu
05-29-2012, 06:10 PM
No, there is no separate thread for May 20. People just started using the general paintalong discussion thread. That one is a whole mix of things, getting really long - there were discussion issues, download issues, students' paintings, then the May 27 paintings, more discussions.... it made it impossible to find specific things, like students' efforts. So now we are back to doing a thread for each paintalong. But there is no thread for May 20. Those are mostly posted in that general discussion thread.

To avoid more of that, I just went ahead and set up the June 3 thread -- this one.

Thanks Sherry i prefer separate links for each to. Much easier that way. Thanks.

Johannes Instructor
05-29-2012, 10:36 PM
It is on the same page of the May 27 files.

hewill4giveu
05-30-2012, 12:36 AM
It is on the same page of the May 27 files.

Thank you Joe

Rosemarie
05-30-2012, 01:03 AM

The name of the thread is Live Paint Along Classes Discussion Thread

hewill4giveu
05-30-2012, 01:09 AM
The name of the thread is Live Paint Along Classes Discussion Thread

LOL okay im not making a move until im clear where to go.
Joe said post on may 27.
Rose you say discussion thread. I do not want to post wrong so i will just not post anywhere. I know the May 27 is the sedona class. Oh well i will just not post it its here until someone deletes it. Which i hope LOL. Joe seen i didnt make icing thats all that matters.

Rosemarie
05-30-2012, 01:38 AM
You painting is from the 20th May Paint along and there isn't any other thread to use than the Live Paint Along Classes Discussion Thread. Johannes only said that the thread is on the same page as the the May 27 file. I understand it as the page where you see all the threads like in an table of contnents

sherrysherman
05-30-2012, 01:39 AM
LOL okay im not making a move until im clear where to go.
Joe said post on may 27.
Rose you say discussion thread. I do not want to post wrong so i will just not post anywhere. I know the May 27 is the sedona class. Oh well i will just not post it its here until someone deletes it. Which i hope LOL. Joe seen i didnt make icing thats all that matters.

Yeah, this confusion is why Rosemarie and I and others think separate threads for the different classes are a good idea.

1. There was first a thread called the Paint Along Discussion thread. After class 1, on May 20, there was NO May 20 thread. Students did not know where to post their May 20 paintings, so they just started posting them on the Discussion thread.

2. After class 2 - May 27, students again did not have a special thread to post their paintings, so they started to add them to the SAME Discussion thread. So at this point, the Discussion thread had discussions, questions, concerns, download issues, AND students' paintings from BOTH May 20 and May 27. Both Rosemarie and I and other students saw cause for confusion and for a humongous thread developing.

3. We are trying to go back to the system that was working well before, a thread for each Paintalong class. So we now have a thread for the May 27 class. We have THIS thread for the upcoming June 3 class.

There is NO SEPARATE THREAD FOR THE MAY 20 CLASS. I suppose this means the May 20 paintings can go in the Discussion thread. That was what Jo meant when he said your May 20 painting could go in the same place as the May 27 paintings. See what I mean, confusing?

But now we have a May 27 thread. That is for May 27 paintings. I am hopeful that except for May 20, other paintings can go in the thread identified by the correct date.

General issues and questions can go in the general Paintalong Discussion thread.

I hope that is clear. :thumbsup:

sherrysherman
05-30-2012, 01:45 AM
You painting is from the 20th May Paint along and there isn't any other thread to use than the Live Paint Along Classes Discussion Thread. Johannes only said that the thread is on the same page as the the May 27 file. I understand it as the page where you see all the threads like in an table of contnents

LOL, Rosemarie, we posted at nearly the same time! Trying to clear up this "where to post" issue ......

The only thing I don't get is how that's possible - aren't you somewhere many time zones east of me? (I'm in Denver, Colorado) Must be late for me, early for you. (11:45 pm for me) :lol:

Rosemarie
05-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Yes, I guess it is about 8 hours between us. I posted just before I left for work. That is also why I can only attend to the class the first 2,5 - 3hours. After that I have to go to bed. Maybe I can attend longer if the Paint along moves to Saturdays. Right now I only get to paint 1/2 a painting, if that. I have to find time to finish them.

Johannes Instructor
05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
I meant the May 20 download files is on the same page as the May 27 files.

mickisew
05-30-2012, 04:16 PM
By the way I have posted next Sunday's project in the private page that you get by email.

Thank you Johannes. It will be interesting to see how you combine the two photos. Maybe you will post your drawing by Saturday? Micki

jmcedeno
05-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Hello, I need clarification on the time for the June 3 class. Will it be 1:00 PM or 11:00 AM Easter ? I'm on the Pacific time zone so I need to be prepared accordingly. Thank you.

mickisew
05-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Hello, I need clarification on the time for the June 3 class. Will it be 1:00 PM or 11:00 AM Easter ? I'm on the Pacific time zone so I need to be prepared accordingly. Thank you.

It is 1 PM to 7 PM Eastern time.

hewill4giveu
05-30-2012, 07:15 PM
LOL Sherry clear as mud LOL. I agree please leave it like it was a date or name for each class homework. I went threw the list on discussion and it should only be just what it says discussions. SIGH well we will move on For sure we have a place for June 3 class. I guess in my excitement i failed to realize what date i was posting to. Sorry i created havoc LOL

spudsmom
05-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Thank you Johannes. It will be interesting to see how you combine the two photos. Maybe you will post your drawing by Saturday? Micki

I'm not sure what this means? Are the new photos up for Sunday's lesson? Where?

Sherri

mickisew
05-30-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure what this means? Are the new photos up for Sunday's lesson? Where?

Sherri

Yes - photos are available. Just use the same link in the email that we got last week.

spudsmom
05-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Never mind about where this Sunday's photos are. I found them!:clap:

can't wait!

cajunRice
05-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Jose, I am in So Ca, also. We are 3 hrs different than Jo's time. His 1PM EDT class will be at 10 AM PDT for us. Put a big note on your computer and anywhere else that you can't miss seeing. These are just too good to miss.

See you Sunday,

Ginger

jmcedeno
05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Ginger and Micki, thank you very much for your response I was confused about the time because I read in another thread that Johannes had said "this Sunday will be at 11:00 AM" when he was asked. I do not recall the thread so I can't confirm that.

Rosemarie
05-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Ginger and Micki, thank you very much for your response I was confused about the time because I read in another thread that Johannes had said "this Sunday will be at 11:00 AM" when he was asked. I do not recall the thread so I can't confirm that.
You must have read that in a thread about the free paint alongs. They started at 11 edt.

Pinklady219
05-31-2012, 02:12 PM
New reference photos for June 3rd. http://improvemypaintings.com/PaintAlong-Password.html
Drawing will be ready Saturday.

Johannes Instructor
05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
New reference photos for June 3rd. http://improvemypaintings.com/PaintAlong-Password.html
Drawing will be ready Saturday.
I had to remove the link because that link had the password on it.

Pinklady219
05-31-2012, 04:03 PM
:eek: YIKES!!! SORRY

Sgourlayart
05-31-2012, 06:08 PM
I had to remove the link because that link had the password on it.Johannes, the link is still up and in this post, so people will get frustrated unless you send them another Email. I don't know how you keep such a sharp eye on all this stuff. You haven't heard from me in awhile because everything has been going real well. Doug [Improv] got so frustrated that he has bowed out for awhile. I spotted him on Richard Robinson's site and will contact him when everything has settled down and try and get him to come back. Stu

chalet_dor
05-31-2012, 06:15 PM
Your are a good guy Stu.......... I don't know how Johannes does it either........ I get many e-mails a day and I am the queen of delete, so it is so easy to not save something I really need............dor:))

Johannes Instructor
05-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Johannes, the link is still up and in this post, so people will get frustrated unless you send them another Email. I don't know how you keep such a sharp eye on all this stuff. You haven't heard from me in awhile because everything has been going real well. Doug [Improv] got so frustrated that he has bowed out for awhile. I spotted him on Richard Robinson's site and will contact him when everything has settled down and try and get him to come back. Stu
I had given Doug ny phone number so I could help him. He told me he had it solved. The offer still stands.

Johannes Instructor
05-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Johannes, the link is still up and in this post, so people will get frustrated unless you send them another Email. I don't know how you keep such a sharp eye on all this stuff. You haven't heard from me in awhile because everything has been going real well. Doug [Improv] got so frustrated that he has bowed out for awhile. I spotted him on Richard Robinson's site and will contact him when everything has settled down and try and get him to come back. Stu
The link that pinklady posted has been removed. Refresh your browser and you will see it is gone. Sarah will solve the recorded video access page tomorrow morning.

distantriver
05-31-2012, 10:32 PM
This is a combination of Johannes two reference photos for the upcoming paint along. I had so much fun, I just wanted to show it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2012/92046-Johannes_ref_photo_6-3_internet_copy.jpg

Sgourlayart
05-31-2012, 11:47 PM
This is a combination of Johannes two reference photos for the upcoming paint along. I had so much fun, I just wanted to show it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2012/92046-Johannes_ref_photo_6-3_internet_copy.jpgDid you do this in Photosop or did Johannes? It would be really great if Johannes took us through how to do this in Photoshop Elements or in Gimp during the paint along on Sunday. If you did this and not Johannes maybe you could post exactly how you do this for the slower learners (I am clearly in that group for photo editing). Stu

nougat
05-31-2012, 11:58 PM
i disagree stu.

i don't want to waste precious time with johannes learning how to use a computer program that you can learn elsewhere.

it is true that these photo editing programs are difficult to use in fact jo has mentioned a site where you can learn lynda.com maybe that will help?
:)

Sgourlayart
06-01-2012, 01:15 AM
i disagree stu.

i don't want to waste precious time with johannes learning how to use a computer program that you can learn elsewhere.

it is true that these photo editing programs are difficult to use in fact jo has mentioned a site where you can learn lynda.com maybe that will help?
I already know about Lynda.com. I am interested in how Johannes plans his compositions from multiple photo references and works out his changes and how they will look BEFORE he starts painting. I already know how to apply paint to the canvas and am interested in learning more about how he develops his vision of an interesting composition before the drawing and paint application. I can figure out the computer program. Stu

nougat
06-01-2012, 01:59 AM
oh sorry - i misunderstood your request. :)

Johannes Instructor
06-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Did you do this in Photosop or did Johannes? It would be really great if Johannes took us through how to do this in Photoshop Elements or in Gimp during the paint along on Sunday. If you did this and not Johannes maybe you could post exactly how you do this for the slower learners (I am clearly in that group for photo editing). Stu
Distant River did not post that I congratulated her on that composition because she did it perfectly well. That is exactly what I had in mind. Even that smaller waterfall in the distance. Now, so I work less Nancy, how about you do the drawing for me as well now that you are at it. LOL!

Johannes Instructor
06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I already know about Lynda.com. I am interested in how Johannes plans his compositions from multiple photo references and works out his changes and how they will look BEFORE he starts painting. I already know how to apply paint to the canvas and am interested in learning more about how he develops his vision of an interesting composition before the drawing and paint application. I can figure out the computer program. Stu
I could not have done better than you on that one DistantRiver.

Johannes Instructor
06-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Did you do this in Photosop or did Johannes? It would be really great if Johannes took us through how to do this in Photoshop Elements or in Gimp during the paint along on Sunday. If you did this and not Johannes maybe you could post exactly how you do this for the slower learners (I am clearly in that group for photo editing). Stu
Distantriver maybe post a larger size 800 X 600. Hard to see.

Johannes Instructor
06-01-2012, 08:59 AM
You guys gave me an idea. What we could do down the road is a workshop on integrating multiple photos. I already taught all the theory on this in the photos to landscape course but we can do hands on practice where you all do like stu did. Sound good?

Sgourlayart
06-01-2012, 09:40 AM
I could not have done better than you on that one stu.
Jo, I didn't post the composite of the two photos; Distantriver did. I was interested in how he/she did it and how you work out a composition with multiple photo references by putting them together in Photoshop Elements, working out your color balance, taking out objects and then coming up with your sketch. You said already in the grass class that you try and work out revisions to your paintings on the computer before trying it on the canvas. THAT's what I have an interest in learning how to do. THAT's what would make an incredible workshop in my opinion. I am interested in the use of digital tools in the planning stages of a painting. Stu

xli
06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Wow! A hand on practice on image integrating!! what a great idea!! count me in! count me in!

Rosemarie
06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
You guys gave me an idea. What we could do down the road is a workshop on integrating multiple photos. I already taught all the theory on this in the photos to landscape course but we can do hands on practice where you all do like stu did. Sound good?

I think it is a splendid idea! :clap: Even though I need to practise more and love the paint alongs (which I can only attend about 2,5 hours) I find that good composition do "make" the painting.

nougat
06-01-2012, 11:50 AM

would this be concentrating on the actual composition of the eventual sketch? or would it be how to do in on the pc?

altho many DO use the pc as a tool, imho you can still compose a painting the old fashioned way..ie making multiple sketches.

if this would be a hands on workshop on composition i would be interested - if it is how to do it on the pc...no. i just don't have enough time for or interest in tech-stuff which i would not use.

spudsmom
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Jo,

If we are going to try to paint along in watercolor what size paper do you recommend? any special prep needed?

thanks
Sherri

jmcedeno
06-01-2012, 12:10 PM
You must have read that in a thread about the free paint alongs. They started at 11 edt.

Thank you Rosemarie its all clear now will see you Sunday.

Rosemarie
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Thank you Rosemarie its all clear now will see you Sunday.

Great, I'll see you then! I am going on a 2 days workshop on watercolour this weekend so I will be busy! no grass mowing, no finishing earlier paint alongs, no house cleaning, neighbours have to take care of my cats, etc,!!

jmcedeno
06-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Johannes, what a wonderful idea of teaching some photo manipulation in Photoshop mainly how to combine two or three photos in one composition. I started with Elements version 3 up to 9, I have books on it, taken online tutorials,, etc. and still can't do much with it, takes a lot of time to learn something and when you let go for awhile and come back I find that had forgotten the steps and have to go back to the books and refresh, it is frustrating and feel I'm wasting time from painting. So, it will be great to learn how to manipulate the photos the way you do in class. I'm all for it.

mickisew
06-01-2012, 01:08 PM

Yes, I, too, am interested in your thought process and how you develop the composition - minimal work in Elements - more work on the drawing. Micki

Johannes Instructor
06-01-2012, 01:19 PM
would this be concentrating on the actual composition of the eventual sketch? or would it be how to do in on the pc?

altho many DO use the pc as a tool, imho you can still compose a painting the old fashioned way..ie making multiple sketches.

if this would be a hands on workshop on composition i would be interested - if it is how to do it on the pc...no. i just don't have enough time for or interest in tech-stuff which i would not use.
We'll look into this down the road. Let's get some paintings under our belts meanwhile.

Johannes Instructor
06-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Johannes, what a wonderful idea of teaching some photo manipulation in Photoshop mainly how to combine two or three photos in one composition. I started with Elements version 3 up to 9, I have books on it, taken online tutorials,, etc. and still can't do much with it, takes a lot of time to learn something and when you let go for awhile and come back I find that had forgotten the steps and have to go back to the books and refresh, it is frustrating and feel I'm wasting time from painting. So, it will be great to learn how to manipulate the photos the way you do in class. I'm all for it.
Ok the course will include the elements tools as well so you don't have to pay lynda.com.

nougat
06-01-2012, 01:20 PM

that's what i prefer :)
thank you

the 'paintings under the belt' i mean :)

Rosemarie
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi Johannes!
Can you here tell us the proportions of your watercolour drawing for June 3d is? I find it hard if I don't know the proportions( hight and width) to do the drawing. I usually paint on 1/4 or 1/2 Imperial sized watercolour paper.

Johannes Instructor
06-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi Johannes!
Can you here tell us the proportions of your watercolour drawing for June 3d is? I find it hard if I don't know the proportions( hight and width) to do the drawing. I usually paint on 1/4 or 1/2 Imperial sized watercolour paper.
This is on a 12 X 16 inch 140 Cold pressed Arches. You can paint it on any 3/4 ratio.

lorigina
06-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I really like that idea, Johannes.

distantriver
06-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Thank you all.
I combined these photos based on a clue Johannes made in one of the threads implying that he might like to combine the waterfalls. For this particular piece I used Corel Paint Shop Pro, on a laptop.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2012/92046-Johannes_ref_photo_6-3_reinternet.jpg

distantriver
06-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Jo, I didn't post the composite of the two photos; Distantriver did. I was interested in how he/she did it and how you work out a composition with multiple photo references by putting them together in Photoshop Elements, working out your color balance, taking out objects and then coming up with your sketch. You said already in the grass class that you try and work out revisions to your paintings on the computer before trying it on the canvas. THAT's what I have an interest in learning how to do. THAT's what would make an incredible workshop in my opinion. I am interested in the use of digital tools in the planning stages of a painting. Stu

I, too, have an interest in the computer as tool for my art. I find it helpful in determining values, massing, temperature mapping, etc. I would like to contribute to a class of this nature.

Rosemarie
06-02-2012, 01:39 AM
This is on a 12 X 16 inch 140 Cold pressed Arches. You can paint it on any 3/4 ratio.

Thanks Johannes! Now I know how to adjust the my watercolour paper!

jillmc3
06-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I am a true novice when it comes to watercolor, but I am planning to try and paint along with watercolor this Sunday. I am excited about learning more about it from a master!

Johannes, I have heard you talk about soaking the paper first...would you recommend that we do that before class tomorrow? Do you soak it for about 1/2 hour?

Thanks, oh and I would definitely attend a "composition" class...I believe that is such a key to successful painting!

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I am a true novice when it comes to watercolor, but I am planning to try and paint along with watercolor this Sunday. I am excited about learning more about it from a master!

Johannes, I have heard you talk about soaking the paper first...would you recommend that we do that before class tomorrow? Do you soak it for about 1/2 hour?

Thanks, oh and I would definitely attend a "composition" class...I believe that is such a key to successful painting!
No, just follow what I do because the painting is in real time. Unless you stretch your paper, then you should wet it first for 15 min, staple it to a board, then allow to dry. After, you add your drawing.

distantriver
06-02-2012, 12:10 PM

Tonalist
06-02-2012, 12:25 PM
No broadcast today... I don't think. Jo finished his snow and grass course,
and the live broadcast is tomorrow..

woody

nougat
06-02-2012, 12:34 PM
will we need a hair dryer Jo??

distantriver
06-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Tonalist. I'm kinda like the energizer bunny, I just keep going till I hit a wall or something. I like the Saturdays, too.

nougat
06-02-2012, 12:43 PM
i miss the saturday class.... as soon as i do the dishes i'm gonna draw tomorrow's picture :)

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2012, 12:59 PM
will we need a hair dryer Jo??
I always keep one handy.

nougat
06-02-2012, 01:47 PM
ok - i'll prepare it. thanks

i don't usually use one - i use the drying times to do chores :)

paintncook
06-02-2012, 02:22 PM

I'm not a fan of soaking for prolonged periods; it removes the sizing and you want the sizing to allow watercolors to flow, not just soak in. Do as Johannes says, wet paper just prior to painting in areas where you do wet on wet. The grade of paper is extremely important. Cheap papers, like Strathmore or Canson, don't react well. Arches and Fabriano are good ones. There are other ones that are suitable, but stay away from the cheapie ones. I use drafting tape to tape paper to board or Bull nose clips that I adjust as the paper buckles.
Kathy

jillmc3
06-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm not a fan of soaking for prolonged periods; it removes the sizing and you want the sizing to allow watercolors to flow, not just soak in. Do as Johannes says, wet paper just prior to painting in areas where you do wet on wet. The grade of paper is extremely important. Cheap papers, like Strathmore or Canson, don't react well. Arches and Fabriano are good ones. There are other ones that are suitable, but stay away from the cheapie ones. I use drafting tape to tape paper to board or Bull nose clips that I adjust as the paper buckles.
Kathy

:wave: Thanks, Kathy! I have also heard some artists say they paint on the smoother side of the wc paper...do you agree?

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2012, 05:51 PM
I wet the entire paper for 15 minutes in the bathtub if I am going to stretch it.

Amandine
06-02-2012, 06:06 PM
That would be a great idea. :thumbsup:

TexasArt
06-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I only use 300 lb Arches - it won't buckle, so I have control of where the color runs. Jo, do you ever wet one area at a time in order to control the flow? Like sky first....

TexasArt
06-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Oh, yes, I use Fabriano sometimes, too. Don't usually soak, just "paint" on water where I will be adding color. This lets me vary the wetness of different areas. I tape to a masonite board so that I can move, slant, or turn it...not to my drawing board that I want to stay clean.

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Oh, yes, I use Fabriano sometimes, too. Don't usually soak, just "paint" on water where I will be adding color. This lets me vary the wetness of different areas. I tape to a masonite board so that I can move, slant, or turn it...not to my drawing board that I want to stay clean.
You don't need to stretch a quarter sheet so using making tape will work but once you work on a half sheet or bigger just taping it dry without prestretching will result into too much buckling where a wet on wet application is applied. This applies to 140 lb. or thinner. 300 lb you are exempt of stretching.

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2012, 11:13 PM
I only use 300 lb Arches - it won't buckle, so I have control of where the color runs. Jo, do you ever wet one area at a time in order to control the flow? Like sky first....
All the time. No need to wet irrelevant areas, unless you want diffused edges. Tomorrow will be an example of this.

paintncook
06-03-2012, 09:04 AM
:wave: Thanks, Kathy! I have also heard some artists say they paint on the smoother side of the wc paper...do you agree?
Not necessarily. On some papers, like Arches, it is hard to tell which side is smoother. In fact, I often can't tell and look for the watermark to tell if I'm on the "right" side of the paper. I prefer a rougher texture and sometimes use rough instead of cold press. Sometimes I like the dry brush look and rough is good for that. Also I like granulating colors like Ultramarine, Manganese blue, Cobalt violet, etc. and the granules settle into the grain of the paper. I hope you find doing watercolor to be fun. I like the 'fresh' look of it, when done properly - that's the hard part, lol.

Johannes Instructor
06-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Not necessarily. On some papers, like Arches, it is hard to tell which side is smoother. In fact, I often can't tell and look for the watermark to tell if I'm on the "right" side of the paper. I prefer a rougher texture and sometimes use rough instead of cold press. Sometimes I like the dry brush look and rough is good for that. Also I like granulating colors like Ultramarine, Manganese blue, Cobalt violet, etc. and the granules settle into the grain of the paper. I hope you find doing watercolor to be fun. I like the 'fresh' look of it, when done properly - that's the hard part, lol.
Arches Manufacturer claims both sides of the paper are the same. However I still use the upright side just in case.

Blue Ridge Painter
06-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I am ddoing this to try let people know and keep down issues during the class.

The Paint Along email about todays class has been sent out to your individual emails DO NOT RELEASE THE PASS WORD, PLEASE, TO ANYONE FOR ANY REASON, it only hurts furture classes. Look for your email if you have paid for this session and lets have another great class

HazelP
06-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Another wonderful Paintalong - thanks Johannes.:clap:

I'm not sold on watercolours - they are rather hard for me to manage but I did my best and patched up with pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2012/915542-Paintalong-4th-June-2012.jpg

Blue Ridge Painter
06-03-2012, 08:45 PM
HazelP I think its great. I have never tried WC I think if I tried it as with other mediums I'd love it. At this time I am strictly acrylic paint and graphite pencil. I just watched today and thought it was a great class with few problems. It just keeps getting better.

mickisew
06-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Great class today Johannes. I so enjoy these classes. Working in oil, I had to rethink the process and listened during your presentation while I was painting. There is some tweaking to do - after giving the painting a fresh eye. Thank you so much for all the classes - especially our paint-along sessions. I surely hope these continue. Micki

painterted
06-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Great course today Jo. I found it went along great, but not to sure on my green tones? I think I should of charged the evergreens on the left with other colors. But great subject, and I learnt a few more nuggets today. And no pastel in the water this time.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2012/909312-P1010002.jpg

Roach1976
06-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Nice job painterted great rocks:clap:

Roach1976
06-04-2012, 12:22 AM
nice work hazel:clap:

chalet_dor
06-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Another wonderful Paintalong - thanks Johannes.:clap:

I'm not sold on watercolours - they are rather hard for me to manage but I did my best and patched up with pastels.

Oh Hazel your painting is beautiful. I envy you........I so wish I had taken Johannes classes a year ago.....beautiful painting ..........:thumbsup:

chalet_dor
06-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Great class today Johannes. I so enjoy these classes. Working in oil, I had to rethink the process and listened during your presentation while I was painting. There is some tweaking to do - after giving the painting a fresh eye. Thank you so much for all the classes - especially our paint-along sessions. I surely hope these continue. Micki

Hi Micki..........please I am a whole year behind........and know nothing.....help.......I have all the videos tell me which one should I watch that would help me the most to be able to paint this water color in oil.
Dorian

lorigina
06-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Hi Dor. Try essentials of Painting trees. That helping me a lot. Or if you have his original 24 lessons, there are a few lessons on trees.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Here is the picture of the June 3rd watercolor. I rushed it in so you can finish your paintings.

nougat
06-04-2012, 10:30 AM
very beautiful Johannes.

mickisew
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi Micki..........please I am a whole year behind........and know nothing.....help.......I have all the videos tell me which one should I watch that would help me the most to be able to paint this water color in oil.
Dorian

Hi Dorian: I am partial to the "Painting Stunning Landscapes from Photos". Johannes has demonstrated in oil during many of the sessions. Everyone approaches a painting in their own way. Yesterday, Jo stated with the trees. However, with watercolor, the paper tone is one and part of the painting. However, in oil, trees meet the sky. Therefore, I started with the sky. Then I mass in everything for tone, color, composition, etc. Today, with a fresh eye, I see changes need to be made - and something taken out. In other words, I want everything to work together before fine tuning. One other thing, I don't use heavy paint or texture saving that for the end. I don't thin the paint, but it is dry to the touch today. Also, I did add a very thin (and I mean wiped with a cloth) layer of linseed oil to help move the paint.

If anyone has other comments please chime in.

Micki

mickisew
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Johannes, you painting is just beautiful. Now I can use your finished painting to fine tune mine. Thank you for the wonderful class. I always enjoy our time together. Micki

chalet_dor
06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi Dorian: I am partial to the "Painting Stunning Landscapes from Photos". Johannes has demonstrated in oil during many of the sessions. Everyone approaches a painting in their own way. Yesterday, Jo stated with the trees. However, with watercolor, the paper tone is one and part of the painting. However, in oil, trees meet the sky. Therefore, I started with the sky. Then I mass in everything for tone, color, composition, etc.

Micki

Thank you Micki. Dorian:)

Sgourlayart
06-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Here is my June 3rd paint along in oils. I knew I would miss the first half of the class and cheated and did my oil underpainting the night before from the photo references and the drawing. I finished it except for a few details in the class. Oil on canvas panel 11" by 14". I love the paint alongs and hope they will continue. Except for a few browser kick offs (IE9) where I got right back on, no technical problems at all. Stu
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2012/175408-JV_Paint_Along_June3.JPG

chalet_dor
06-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Here is my June 3rd paint along in oils. I knew I would miss the first half of the class and cheated and did my oil underpainting the night before from the photo references and the drawing. I finished it except for a few details in the class. Oil on canvas panel 11" by 14". I love the paint alongs and hope they will continue. Except for a few browser kick offs (IE9) where I got right back on, no technical problems at all. Stu

That's not cheating Stu. That is working smart! Now I am learning from you! Thanks a lot........btw my Pan Pastels should arrive today! :smug: :))

Sgourlayart
06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
That's not cheating Stu. That is working smart! Now I am learning from you! Thanks a lot........btw my Pan Pastels should arrive today! :smug: :))I really like an almost dry underpainting that is loosely blocked in, so for me it's not really cheating; I am just not that good an alla prima painter. And this in a nutshell is why my plein air paintings still do not measure up to my standards after 5 years. For about 2 years I have been using Gamblin's Fastmatte alkyd modified oils for my underpaintings-both in the studio and outdoors-and I really like how fast they dry, especially outdoors. Gamblin released them 2 years ago with 6 colors, black and white; they have just come out with 16 more colors. They are nice and buttery, consistent from color to color, and completely compatible with the non-alkyd based gamblin oils. Check out the palette at: http://www.gamblincolors.com/artists.grade.oils/fastmatte_palette/index.html.
Those who are frustrated with slow drying underpaintings have an alternative to acrylics. Stu

paintncook
06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Good job, Stu. Your water looks so real, I could reach down into it and pick up a rock!
Kathy

Amandine
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
... ... Gamblin released them 2 years ago with 6 colors, black and white; they have just come out with 16 more colors. They are nice and buttery, consistent from color to color, and completely compatible with the non-alkyd based gamblin oils. ... ... Those who are frustrated with slow drying underpaintings have an alternative to acrylics. Stu
Good to know. May give them a try. Thanks for the hint Stu.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Sorry guys you wont be able to access the artistsnetwork download page until tomorrow noon.

mickisew
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
When it is available - good enough - for all you do for us, thank you. Micki

sewnsew43
06-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Beautiful painting. Thank you for the great class and the videos.

paintncook
06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Sorry guys you wont be able to access the artistsnetwork download page until tomorrow noon.
Thanks for the extra 'freebie' Johannes, you are so generous! Kathy

mickisew
06-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Just finished downloading the videos - checked - they play. Thank you, Johannes!

chalet_dor
06-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Thank you Johannes..........: ))

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the extra 'freebie' Johannes, you are so generous! Kathy
Well I am committed to 6 hours of class. If I leave out 90 min then I am short changing you, right? So the decent thing would be to make up for that time.

Sgourlayart
06-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Well I am committed to 6 hours of class. If I leave out 90 min then I am short changing you, right? So the decent thing would be to make up for that time.Johannes, thank you for the great paint alongs and all you do to make them successful. I am very glad to see Ustream working so well and sorry that a few people are still having problems. I am, however, a little surprised that with all the technical glitches you have had, you did not record the video yourself as a backup, aside from the Ustream broadcast; but maybe I don't understand the technology involved with that and I guess the extra bandwidth required to record while broadcasting. It is unfortunate that all these new technology companies leave so much unsaid to their customers, but I guess when you are on the cutting edge, you spill a little of your own blood every once in awhile. But as you have said, the thing you like to do most is paint, so I am sure most of us will be there with you on the 16th. Stu

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Johannes, thank you for the great paint alongs and all you do to make them successful. I am very glad to see Ustream working so well and sorry that a few people are still having problems. I am, however, a little surprised that with all the technical glitches you have had, you did not record the video yourself as a backup, aside from the Ustream broadcast; but maybe I don't understand the technology involved with that and I guess the extra bandwidth required to record while broadcasting. It is unfortunate that all these new technology companies leave so much unsaid to their customers, but I guess when you are on the cutting edge, you spill a little of your own blood every once in awhile. But as you have said, the thing you like to do most is paint, so I am sure most of us will be there with you on the 16th. Stu
I did record the backup as I explained on the mike. The second part of the paint along you will notice the quality is better than the first part. However I used a new video camera and there was a feature that said "relay recording" I assumed that when the internal memory got full and the second one would not kick in it automatically by rolling over to the flash media so the card got full. I was two thirds into the class and assumed ustream would contain the segment where I worked on their paintings. Little did I know that ustream destroys your entire recording when you go over 3 hours. So in this case two things went wrong. It is like having the pilot and co pilot both get heart attacks on a plane. The video camera recording was so good that I am thinking of using that from now on and convert the file into mp4. It will look nicer than the ustream version.

gourdalicious
06-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Again you go above and beyond! The additional session is so generous and yes, I know where you are coming from on commitments. It is just so ....don't have the right words!.....awesome!? to have a role model so thoroughly committed to being a professional painter, instructor and mentor.

Sgourlayart
06-05-2012, 11:39 PM
I did record the backup as I explained on the mike. The second part of the paint along you will notice the quality is better than the first part. However I used a new video camera and there was a feature that said "relay recording" I assumed that when the internal memory got full and the second one would not kick in it automatically by rolling over to the flash media so the card got full. I was two thirds into the class and assumed ustream would contain the segment where I worked on their paintings. Little did I know that ustream destroys your entire recording when you go over 3 hours. So in this case two things went wrong. It is like having the pilot and co pilot both get heart attacks on a plane. The video camera recording was so good that I am thinking of using that from now on and convert the file into mp4. It will look nicer than the ustream version.Jo, thanks for the explanation; you really know how to make lemonade from lemons. I suspect people will like the mp4s better than the flvs. Fortunately, those pilots have to have a very rigid flight physical periodically and get grounded for anything that smells of heart disease. You may be putting as much stress on your coronaries with all these technical challenges as they do flying hundreds of people thousands of miles on a regular basis. I guess some aspects of art are kind of like rocket science. Stu

chalet_dor
06-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Jo, thanks for the explanation; you really know how to make lemonade from lemons. I suspect people will like the mp4s better than the flvs. Fortunately, those pilots have to have a very rigid flight physical periodically and get grounded for anything that smells of heart disease. You may be putting as much stress on your coronaries with all these technical challenges as they do flying hundreds of people thousands of miles on a regular basis. I guess some aspects of art are kind of like rocket science. Stu

Message to Johannes
Listen to the doctor.........I too was thinking about all the stress you are under and concerned about your health. Thank you for teaching, but don't kill yourself doing it, I don't know how you find time to rest.........dor:))

nougat
06-06-2012, 02:00 AM
SERIOUSLY - take care of yourself! keep well!

Banner
06-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Thank you Johannes for the extra class on 16th June I am very grateful. I followed your instructions which were very clear and I had no trouble downloading all the Paint a longs From a very grateful student

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Jo, thanks for the explanation; you really know how to make lemonade from lemons. I suspect people will like the mp4s better than the flvs. Fortunately, those pilots have to have a very rigid flight physical periodically and get grounded for anything that smells of heart disease. You may be putting as much stress on your coronaries with all these technical challenges as they do flying hundreds of people thousands of miles on a regular basis. I guess some aspects of art are kind of like rocket science. Stu
Had a complete heart check up, monitor twice, ultrasound etc. Only thing is mild dilation of I don't remember the term. Recommended check up again in 2 years. So I am good for a while.

Sgourlayart
06-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Had a complete heart check up, monitor twice, ultrasound etc. Only thing is mild dilation. Recommended check up again in 2 years. So I am good for a while.
Good to hear. I didn't mean to give you medical advice; but I think that your ability to maintain your passion for painting and helping others to become better artists helps you to maintain your good health. Keep on painting! Stu

Jacdesusbielle
06-06-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm happy to hear that ! I can't understand how you can stay calm with all these technical problems .... And never complain ! Not only are you a wonderful artist with each medium, an amazing teacher, but you are a wonderful man as well ! Thank you a million times, even if to say thank you will never be enough !!.....

lildip
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
what exactly is an MP4? I ordered and got a disc that won't play on any of my instruments only to find out iit is an MP4 and I have no idea what that is. Is there some disc player that deals with just that? Anyone who can explain it to me would be very much appreciated. I am no techie for sure and need a lot of instruction. thanks, Lildip

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2012, 11:55 AM
what exactly is an MP4? I ordered and got a disc that won't play on any of my instruments only to find out iit is an MP4 and I have no idea what that is. Is there some disc player that deals with just that? Anyone who can explain it to me would be very much appreciated. I am no techie for sure and need a lot of instruction. thanks, Lildip
If you download VLC player, it plays all files and it is free.

Pinklady219
06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Could someone please tell me where people are posting their June 3rd works? It seems all the threads are dialogue and no art work from classes. thank you guys!! Carol:wave:

paintncook
06-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Could someone please tell me where people are posting their June 3rd works? It seems all the threads are dialogue and no art work from classes. thank you guys!! Carol:wave:
I think this thread was supposed to be for artwork, but got corrupted by people posting other stuff and others answering it because this is where they posted their questions, problems, etc. I think the next time a thread like this starts it should read: FOR ARTWORK AND CRITIQUE OF POSTED ARTWORK ONLY!! I would prefer having a separate thread just for the artwork and critique of the artwork and another one for the questions, discussion, problems, etc. That way it would be a lot nicer. I'd like to see the artwork all compacted into one area.
Kathy

Rosemarie
06-06-2012, 02:48 PM

There are at least 4 postings included Johannes' painting. You have to go back a page or two.

Sgourlayart
06-06-2012, 03:09 PM
I think this thread was supposed to be for artwork, but got corrupted by people posting other stuff and others answering it because this is where they posted their questions, problems, etc. I think the next time a thread like this starts it should read: FOR ARTWORK AND CRITIQUE OF POSTED ARTWORK ONLY!! I would prefer having a separate thread just for the artwork and critique of the artwork and another one for the questions, discussion, problems, etc. That way it would be a lot nicer. I'd like to see the artwork all compacted into one area.
KathyI agree Kathy. A lot of the posts are just due to the confusion and it is hard to find the artwork. Stu

Amandine
06-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Had a complete heart check up, monitor twice, ultrasound etc. Only thing is mild dilation of I don't remember the term. Recommended check up again in 2 years. So I am good for a while.
This is the benefit of doing what you love Jo, teaching and painting. (or painting and teaching ?)

painterted
06-06-2012, 03:44 PM
I agree Kathy. A lot of the posts are just due to the confusion and it is hard to find the artwork. Stu

I agree to. We should have someone transfer or delete a lot of this.

ted

lorigina
06-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Hi Jo. I wasn't able to stay for the entire paint along, so I am going to download it and do it this week. Thanks for doing an extra demonstration. It is very generous of you, and I truly appreciate all the time and effort you put into helping us become better artists. You have lots of good karma, that I know will return to you ten-fold. I just saw the finished painting and it is beautiful. I'm doing mine in oil because I just don't know how to handle watercolor.

Wetpaint0938
06-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Have the June 3rd painting finished where do we post this one? here? Or ??

paintncook
06-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Have the June 3rd painting finished where do we post this one? here? Or ??
This is the place!

Wetpaint0938
06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Ok this is the posting place? why don't they have one for pictures alone too messy this way

Rosemarie
06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Ok this is the posting place? why don't they have one for pictures alone too messy this way
Because people just post without thinking of what the thread is about. Just post here if you have created a painting from the June 3d Paint along. I didn't paint due being to tired.

Wetpaint0938
06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Here is mine in oils I[http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2012/980416-IMG_0671.JPG too did a composite of both photos on Photoshop cs4 I changed the waterfalls and used more intense color than a watercolor . the water is not that blue but shows that way on monitor it is darker and brownish greener

Sgourlayart
06-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Because people just post without thinking of what the thread is about. Just post here if you have created a painting from the June 3d Paint along. I didn't paint due being to tired.Just another reason for a thread for each painting workshop to post paintings on; people do not look through the pages to see what is posted and certainly don't read the titles of the threads very well either. Maybe this can get straightened out in the future. Stu

Rosemarie
06-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Just another reason for a thread for each painting workshop to post paintings on; people do not look through the pages to see what is posted and certainly don't read the titles of the threads very well either. Maybe this can get straightened out in the future. Stu
Do you have any suggestion how to straighten it out, Stu? I thought the weekly new by date named thread would do the trick but no it doesn't.

paintncook
06-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Do you have any suggestion how to straighten it out, Stu? I thought the weekly new by date named thread would do the trick but no it doesn't.
I suggested that the thread read: For paintings and critique of paintings only (with the date of the lesson). Maybe an additional comment to keep non-painting related discussion for the discussion thread.
Perhaps the person starting the thread could say that we want to keep the thread for paintings related to that lesson and their critiques only and that any extraneous discussion will be removed.

sherrysherman
06-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Kathy

It is very difficult to keep things perfectly organized in this forum (or any Wetcanvas area for that matter). Johannes and the moderators are trying to strike a balance between too many threads and too few. When threads get started on any and every topic or idea, they are often repetitive in subject, often too brief and therefore shoved to the next page by new threads. When threads are too long, it can be impossible for someone to find what they are looking for in that thread. So the goal is to have a thread for a kind of controllable, identifiable topic.

For example, on the one hand, we started the 4-session "Paintalong Discussion Thread" that wound up with info, complaints, issues, thanks, AND paintings from ALL the sessions. Clearly that was getting unwieldy. But it would equally clearly not work to have a separate thread for every painting, every student, every TYPE of issue (technical questions; art-related questions; appreciation; etc).

What we're trying to accomplish HERE is a thread that RELATES to June 3 paintalong. That could include specific June 3 questions, ref photos, J's final painting, appreciation, and students' paintings. There will be some non-painting posts, but hopefully people will try to curtail their impulses to post random comments. :wink2:

I would suggest the Discussion thread for GENERAL questions, issues, etc relating to the entire series or the idea or suggestions for future paintalongs, etc.

No matter what, there will be questions, ideas, thoughts, etc that could go in more than one thread, or that don't seem quite "right" for any of them. The best we can do is try to figure it out on our own and do our best to put our comments in the area they fit best. As an example.... perhaps THIS question, suggestion, and THIS response should go in the general Discussion thread. Yet here it is, because this is where the question came up. THAT's how threads get "corrupted" - or sidetracked. It's just gonna happen. And I think asking moderators to try to sort it all out is more than they're getting paid for. (Mods: that's a joke; I know you're volunteer.)

BTW, I would guess the reason why there are so few paintings posted here is that not that many people painted along. Or finished their paintings.

Sgourlayart
06-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I suggested that the thread read: For paintings and critique of paintings only (with the date of the lesson). Maybe an additional comment to keep non-painting related discussion for the discussion thread.
Perhaps the person starting the thread could say that we want to keep the thread for paintings related to that lesson and their critiques only and that any extraneous discussion will be removed.Kathy, this is the best idea I have heard yet. "June 3rd Paintalong--Paintings and Critiques Only" would do the trick if people will read it and then a Q&A thread for all 4 of the current paintalongs; something like "May -June Paintalong Q & A: No paintings to be posted here". This would be similar to what has worked for the classes. Johannes has been starting the threads or Sherry started one also; Rosemarie got the thread she started taken off by one of the monitors. So, if Johannes approves of this maybe consensus will rule. It would really help if the paintings and critiques were all close together, even for those who can scroll through these long threads. Any additions, subtractions and modifications welcome. Sherry's ideas that she just posted may work better than mine. I think consistency in thread design is the key to reduction of confusion. Stu

sherrysherman
06-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Kathy, this is the best idea I have heard yet. "June 3rd Paintalong--Paintings and Critiques Only" would do the trick if people will read it and then a Q&A thread for all 4 of the current paintalongs; something like "May -June Paintalong Q & A: No paintings to be posted here". This would be similar to what has worked for the classes. Johannes has been starting the threads or Sherry started one also; Rosemarie got the thread she started taken off by one of the monitors. So, if Johannes approves of this maybe consensus will rule. It would really help if the paintings and critiques were all close together, even for those who can scroll through these long threads. Any additions, subtractions and modifications welcome. Sherry's ideas that she just posted may work better than mine. I think consistency in thread design is the key to reduction of confusion. Stu

Please note: My post is NOT a criticism of anything any one person wrote!!

LOL, Stu. I've been here long enough and can tell you, consistency in thread design and perfect titles won't work either. It's just that ONE person gets an impulse, perhaps stimulated by something someone else said, and boom, it's off on a sidetrack. Look at THIS discussion. Why is it here? Because one person said, "where do we post our paintings?" And why did they ask that? Because they didn't read the first post. And it's pretty consistent with past organization. The simple answer is, "Here," not a commentary on how it SHOULD be or what everyone is doing "wrong." But that comment led to this. Oh well. <shrug>

Other reasons for the pages-long thread? Look at all the "nice painting" comments and "thanks, Johannes" comments. And suggestions for future classes. And so on. But if YOU post a painting, don't you LIKE to see, "nice painting"? And if YOU ask a question, don't you like to see Jo's answer? I bet if those of you wanting a short sweet thread go and look, you'll see you participated in the non-June-3 discussions. :wink2:

We humans, maybe artists in particular, are not nice neat left-brained people who think in a straight line and curb all our impulses to communicate, to comment, to respond to another. When Robert used to post his notes, it was a real pain for him to get others not to post what turned into pages of "oh thank you" and "you take such good notes." And then other comments related so something he or Johannes might have said.

When I first got here, I would have liked clear straightforward organization, but over time, I just got used to it - it'll be the way it'll be.

It's like herding cats. :eek:

One thing I did learn - not to start the thread too early. We had 5+ pages before Sunday. I think today might be a good day to start for this Sunday-- so people can ask re size, medium. Maybe see the ref photo.

And I STILL think - the reason there are so few paintings posted here are that people didn't paint. :)

Sgourlayart
06-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Please note: My post is NOT a criticism of anything any one person wrote!!

LOL, Stu. I've been here long enough and can tell you, consistency in thread design and perfect titles won't work either. It's just that ONE person gets an impulse, perhaps stimulated by something someone else said, and boom, it's off on a sidetrack. Look at THIS discussion. Why is it here? Because one person said, "where do we post our paintings?" And why did they ask that? Because they didn't read the first post. And it's pretty consistent with past organization. The simple answer is, "Here," not a commentary on how it SHOULD be or what everyone is doing "wrong." But that comment led to this. Oh well. <shrug>

Other reasons for the pages-long thread? Look at all the "nice painting" comments and "thanks, Johannes" comments. And suggestions for future classes. And so on. But if YOU post a painting, don't you LIKE to see, "nice painting"? And if YOU ask a question, don't you like to see Jo's answer? I bet if those of you wanting a short sweet thread go and look, you'll see you participated in the non-June-3 discussions. :wink2:

We humans, maybe artists in particular, are not nice neat left-brained people who think in a straight line and curb all our impulses to communicate, to comment, to respond to another. When Robert used to post his notes, it was a real pain for him to get others not to post what turned into pages of "oh thank you" and "you take such good notes." And then other comments related so something he or Johannes might have said.

When I first got here, I would have liked clear straightforward organization, but over time, I just got used to it - it'll be the way it'll be.

It's like herding cats. :eek:

One thing I did learn - not to start the thread too early. We had 5+ pages before Sunday. I think today might be a good day to start for this Sunday-- so people can ask re size, medium. Maybe see the ref photo.

And I STILL think - the reason there are so few paintings posted here are that people didn't paint. :)Sherry, I yield completely to your wisdom born of longevity from many years with this group. I am a surgeon and find most physicians just about as difficult to deal with as artists. Short of offering a remedial reading class, I cannot suggest much more than I have. I am getting used to it along with all the technical glitches involved in the video transmission, file downloading, etc. Life is too short to get worked up over this stuff. Stu

sherrysherman
06-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Sherry, I yield completely to your wisdom born of longevity from many years with this group. I am a surgeon and find most physicians just about as difficult to deal with as artists. Short of offering a remedial reading class, I cannot suggest much more than I have. I am getting used to it along with all the technical glitches involved in the video transmission, file downloading, etc. Life is too short to get worked up over this stuff. Stu

AGREE, AGREE, AGREEEEEE! LOL!!! So it's only "special" types that are like that. And of course, pretty much everyone is "special." In our own minds. :wink2:

LOL on the "remedial reading class" - the issue of course is having people READ the relevant posts.

Now THERE's an idea - maybe the title should contain a suggestion: "please read first post in this thread to find out what you're supposed to post here." Hehehe.

Noula
06-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Jo, I finally decided to do my painting today......kept on putting if off knowing it was going to be difficult!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2012/243521-June3.JPG

Johannes Instructor
06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Kathy, this is the best idea I have heard yet. "June 3rd Paintalong--Paintings and Critiques Only" would do the trick if people will read it and then a Q&A thread for all 4 of the current paintalongs; something like "May -June Paintalong Q & A: No paintings to be posted here". This would be similar to what has worked for the classes. Johannes has been starting the threads or Sherry started one also; Rosemarie got the thread she started taken off by one of the monitors. So, if Johannes approves of this maybe consensus will rule. It would really help if the paintings and critiques were all close together, even for those who can scroll through these long threads. Any additions, subtractions and modifications welcome. Sherry's ideas that she just posted may work better than mine. I think consistency in thread design is the key to reduction of confusion. Stu
I will let you guys figure out the best way to run the thread and I will just post where it is supposed to. Personally I would like Sherry to take charge of being the threads manager if she is willing to.

sherrysherman
06-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I will let you guys figure out the best way to run the thread and I will just post where it is supposed to. Personally I would like Sherry to take charge of being the threads manager if she is willing to.

LOL - the "Threads Manager"! I always wanted a title. :lol: I'm happy to do it, Johannes, although I'm not sure what it entails. Right now, I don't have any ability to delete or move posts around. All I can do is "lecture." (But I do that so well!) :smug:

chalet_dor
06-08-2012, 06:27 PM
I hope you get the job and Title! : ))

sherrysherman
06-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I hope you get the job and Title! : ))

And a placard for my door.

And a raise.

a_orion
06-08-2012, 07:15 PM
And the keys.........don't forget to get the keys! lol

spudsmom
06-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Sherry and All,

I did paint along last Sunday and have been waiting all week long for the rain to stop so I can take my watercolor/pan pastel outside for a photograph...Maybe tomorrow the sun will shine in New England:clap:

I'm so looking forward to this Sunday but can't figure out how Jo's going to use all 4 photos in one pix...the suspense is killing me :lol:

Sherri

Thinking I should begin building an ark given all the rain around here!

a_orion
06-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I also painted along in oils and we have had rain all week and dark skies, so I photographed under daylight fluorescents. Color is very close and, after tweaking today, I have gone as far as I can go with it...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2012/103864-Jos_WaterfallA.jpg Oils 8X10.

Sgourlayart
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
And a placard for my door.

And a raise.Placard should say "Head threadmistress--weaves a beautiful tapestry out of oft discordant threads". Seriously, I am just fine with Sherry deciding how the threads should work. Everything she posts here shows off her excellent organizational skills and great patience when chaos sets in. Stu

nougat
06-08-2012, 11:33 PM
sherry - congrats :D :)

chalet_dor
06-09-2012, 12:43 AM
I also painted along in oils and we have had rain all week and dark skies, so I photographed under daylight fluorescents. Color is very close and, after tweaking today, I have gone as far as I can go with it... Oils 8X10.

Very beautiful painting.......... dor:))

chalet_dor
06-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Help
I was in last Sunday's paintathon........does that mean I will be in this Sunday's? Can't remember darn it. :confused: Have looked for the images he will use this Sunday and don't know where to look. Please refresh my memory.........dor:))

tuscanni
06-09-2012, 01:41 AM
very very nice....I like what you have done with the mist and foggy feeling in the background, looks very convincing.
ANN

I also painted along in oils and we have had rain all week and dark skies, so I photographed under daylight fluorescents. Color is very close and, after tweaking today, I have gone as far as I can go with it...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2012/103864-Jos_WaterfallA.jpg Oils 8X10.

chalet_dor
06-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Help
I was in last Sunday's paintathon........does that mean I will be in this Sunday's? Can't remember darn it. :confused: Have looked for the images he will use this Sunday and don't know where to look. Please refresh my memory.........dor:))

:clap: Went to the trash and found the e-mail.......:clap: see you all Sunday!

Amandine
06-09-2012, 09:56 AM
... ... ... is "lecture." (But I do that so well!) :smug:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sherry, I'm really wondering what was your occupation before WC. Are you a former teacher or something like that ? At least, it's good to know there will always be someone to help us with posts and threads. Thanks.

Mustbenuts
06-09-2012, 01:09 PM
While I was reworking the trees on the left side, I could hear Jo in my head talking about gracefully swaying ballerinas and tried to not paint boring upright soldiers. When I came back the next day, I had produced anorexic pines wearing tutus! :lol: :eek: They make me laugh out loud and I hope you do as well.

My big frustration is trying to get a photo where the colors resemble my painting....painting along is the easy part, (relatively speaking.:lol:)

Here is my effort in acrylic and 12 X 16. I've lost my yellows in the photo and also the greens and deep blues of the water. Also, I'm struggling with the transparency of acrylics, at times, highlights seem to fade away. I hope experience will help.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2012/107653-June3paintalong.jpg

Comments and critiques are most welcome.

Sherry, perhaps a thread for tech issues only would help with organization. It seems when panic sets in; it's easy to forget where things should go.

See my fellow Jo groupies tomorrow. :evil: :wave:

Linda Reyes1959
06-09-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2012/978726-untitled1.jpg WMO on 11"x14" canvas.

painteriam
06-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Had fun with all the colors. Sorry I didn't get it cropped properly. I don't know how to delete it once it is uploaded.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2012/139791-IMG_6155.jpg

Wetpaint0938
06-09-2012, 10:35 PM
I redid my water to a darker tone first showed up way to blue OOPS a rock looks to dark in front center Got to fix that one http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2012/980416-IMG_0674.JPG

Wetpaint0938
06-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Here is mine in oils I[http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2012/980416-IMG_0671.JPG too did a composite of both photos on Photoshop cs4 I changed the waterfalls and used more intense color than a watercolor . the water is not that blue but shows that way on monitor it is darker and brownish greener RE DID IT on page

Wetpaint0938
06-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Here is mine in oils I[http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2012/980416-IMG_0671.JPG too did a composite of both photos on Photoshop cs4 I changed the waterfalls and used more intense color than a watercolor . the water is not that blue but shows that way on monitor it is darker and brownish greener Just posted a new shot with better water color on PG 11

Pinklady219
06-09-2012, 11:54 PM
This is my picture from the 3rd. It is a mixed media. Water and acrylics were used on watercolor board. (I don't like the right side, but I quit for tonight. I call this Monkey Falls. (see the little monkey on the right side of the falls?) Anyway, I need some critique there, I kept adding and should have stopped long ago. ;)

spudsmom
06-10-2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2012/895452-DSC00108.jpg

Here it is. After five solid days of rain, I could take it outside to photograph it.

It was tough to control my watercolor, but I did it!

Looking forward to today, primed sketched and ready to go!:clap:
Sherri

kmonthie
09-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Boy am I glad these paint alongs were recorded, overwhelmed this summer with AC business, just getting to do my paintings. Here's the June 3 rendition:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/1023932-Wet_Canvas_post.jpg

Thanks so much for all of the great instruction!:wave:

paintncook
09-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Nice painting, KMonthie!

chalet_dor
09-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks so much for showing your finished paintings, I love seeing them.........dor:))

Sgourlayart
09-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Nice painting, KMonthie!Ditto! And thanks for posting it for all of us. Great color harmony. Stu