PDA

View Full Version : The Moon

Saskya
06-13-2003, 02:42 AM
I adore attempting to photograph the moon - and occasionally she lets me. This is a recent one, and not half bad. (not as great as some i've gotten in the -past- but still not bad.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2003/21888-jjmoon25b.jpg

FotoFrank
06-13-2003, 10:20 AM
WOW! What patience........you actually got the craters to show.....what a deal!
Good shot!

drapier
06-13-2003, 11:02 AM
This is a great shot. I have to try a moon shot next time we have a full moon.
Apparently, but I've not tried this out, the best way to photograph the moon is in manual mode using the Sunny 16 rule.
Sunny 16 means on a sunny day at f16 your shutter speed should equal your film ASA/ISO
If you are using 100 ASA film (or the digital equivilant)an aperture setting of F/16 would be 1/100s. If your camera does not have that small an aperture here are the adjustments F/11 at 1/200s, F/8 at 1/400s, or F/5.6 at 1/800s,

Saskya
06-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Drapier - i wish i had more of a clue as to what you are saying. I am not a photographer in the sense that I know all of the terms/tricks/buttons on my camera. What i do is "trial and error" - point and click, check, fiddle, point and click again, check, fiddle - you get the picture. *slight grin*

This one was taken at about 2 am last night - just after i posted the one above.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2003/21888-jjmoon26.jpg

haggis63
06-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Neat shot Saskya. I like that you haven't placed the moon in the centre.

Originally posted by drapier
I have to try a moon shot next time we have a full moon.

You get more detail, craters etc, when it's not a full moon. With a full moon the sun is directly behind you and the light is relecting straight back at you. At other times of the month the sun is at an angle to the moon (in relation to you) so the crater ridges and mountains etc are casting shadows.

Alan

katcocat
06-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Love these photos, don't know which I prefer. You might get more craters when it's not full, but you get that gorgeous 'silveryness' when it is. The off centre positioning definitely works. I know that theres a different name for each moon of the year, (don't know what they are though) it would be interesting to see a photo of each of them. Have you got any more?
kate.