PDA

View Full Version : Pen and Ink Fish Two

Lamb43
06-12-2003, 10:33 AM
This is the second fish I did as a result of that online lesson from HomeSchoolArts.com. This was actually a color pencil lesson, but I adapted it to what she taught in her pen and ink lesson (from my first fish)

Again, I'm pleased with the way it turned out, and my confidence has increased enough that I'm ready to try it out on my own. I have an aquarium or reef scene in mind. You know, these fish are kind of addictive. :D

I do have one question though. I'd like to add color to the background. I'm guessing I would do it with a wash, right?:confused: But would I do the wash before or after the pen and ink work? And if after, how do I keep the wash off of my pen and ink? I know that there's some kind of masking fluid to use, but I don't happen to have any. Is there something else I can try?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jakeally
06-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Another fine fish Lamb:clap:

You can do the wash either before or after the penwork...it's a matter of personal preference.
I usually do my focal point first....call it a fish. When that is completely dry I sometimes use masking fluid but more often now I carefully wet the paper around the fish taking great care not to go over the pen lines. Then I drop colour onto the wet paper and let it mix itself. The colour will spread out to where the pen lines are and no further.
I haven't tried it the other way round yet but I intend to soon. I thought I would put in the background around just a pencil drawing and then do the main subject. Maybe that would be better as your pen lines could cover any little mistakes in your wash.
Sorry....I'm rambling here:D
Hope I've been of some little help. Do let us know how you get on:cat:

Lamb43
06-12-2003, 12:53 PM
That sounds excellent! (Wetting the paper to the ink lines, I mean) Can't wait to try it.

Thank you Chris!!

MonicaB
06-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Another cool fish, Lamb. This one looks even more 3D-ish than the first one.

Chris, thanks for the (non-rambling) reply. I'd been playing around with different ways to do a background wash, and hadn't been having much success. Think I'll try this too. :D

Line
06-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Looks great, I love the color you used! :D I don't know the answer to your wuestion, though... but I'd like to know too! :D

dolors
06-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Another great fish, I like it very much.
I do the washes before the ink but usually I want to add more washes after inking, but in my case it doesn't matter because I do old houses.
Thank you Chris for explaining how you do your washes, I will try this way too.

TheBlizz35
06-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Your work is beautiful!

I start my first pen & ink class next week and I can't wait. I'd be happy if my fish could be half as nice as yours.

Great work... keep posting. :)

MonicaB
06-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Zee, you'll have to come back here and teach us what you learn in your class. :D :D :D

Elankat
06-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Washes can be done before or after. Things to keep in mind:

1) If you want to tone down the blackness of the ink, do the wash after. Watercolor can be used to tone the gloss of the ink and tone the color.

2) If you wash after, make absolutely certain that you are familiar with how the ink reacts to water. Even if it says "waterproof" or "permanent," it still may run. Test it first. You may like the effect or you may not.

3) If you wash after inking and want to mask areas, test the masking fluid over the ink first. Some inks are affected by the ingredients and may smear or come up a bit when you apply/remove the masking fluid.

4) If you are using another medium, that may predict the order. For example, ink or watercolor generally go on before colored pencil.

BTDogMom
06-13-2003, 09:53 AM
OH!! I like this 1 even better - LMAO - I really thought the greenery on the 1st 1 was drawn in H A EHAEH AEH E LOL!! well nice effect anyway :D:clap: :clap:

jjsangel
06-13-2003, 12:50 PM
This one is more beautiful and colorful than the first (I still like the first one, too)..

artdude
06-13-2003, 04:01 PM
A STUNNING FISH!! :):D:clap:

surreal
06-17-2003, 09:43 AM
It's a very beautiful fish.
I like its colors.

rapolina
06-17-2003, 11:36 AM
beautiful! it looks curious to what is around him;)

ciao, rapolina.

prairie painter
06-17-2003, 01:22 PM
I love your chubby fish!!!

chookbrown
06-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Love this one!!! I have the pens, I have the ink.. just don't have the know-how.. will keep reading your threads and have a go soon.

I am taking two workshops with Claudia Nice this coming weekend... yay.. love her stuff.

Cheers,

Chooky :D:D

MonicaB
06-17-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by chookbrown
I am taking two workshops with Claudia Nice this coming weekend... yay.. love her stuff.

Cheers,

Chooky :D:D

Great! Take good class notes for us. :D