PDA

View Full Version : Small Vermeer

claras
05-26-2012, 09:14 PM
My first image upload. If I destroy anything I am really sorry.

A very loose copy. Very loose. Very small.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2012/1064372-ver1.jpg 10x12in.

My brother, a musician, informs me that if you teach yourself to play piano with your fingers bent it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the proper way with straightened fingers. I have found it difficult to face larger panels.

sidbledsoe
05-26-2012, 10:20 PM
very nice vermeer, it has that familiar soft signature look about it that vermeer was known for.

claras
05-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Thank you, sidbledsoe, for looking at my picture.

Some of that softness could be the product of hand holding the camera in order to avoid glare. The painting is varnished and is somewhat glossy.

m18
05-31-2012, 02:23 PM
lovely work

whitehonky
06-22-2012, 07:01 AM
If you look at pictures by vermeer, you can see that he created texture along boundary lines for both lighter and darker areas in each colour. ie. diffuse brushwork for shadow areas and more crisp texture for lighter, convex areas. Also look more closely at backgrounds_they are rather delicate. Of course all his pictures are rather small so you may think about the condensed refinement of his brushwork, considering that he often copied light from the projection of a lens and or mirror. Another question; what materials did he use? Given that paints back in his time were a lot more fluid and therefore the brushes were different ;compare this with the viscosity of the paint that you use today which was definitely not extant in his day. What would be the modern-day equivalent of the mediums he used? Keep up your enthusiasm_you are doing well. ciao now

ragman100
07-28-2012, 04:33 PM
nice copy. I did the Guitar Player As I love Vermeer. However, I personalized it by adding a table with lemons and grapes still life in front of her. Also I didn't like the large negative space in the upper right corner so I added a crucifix. I'm happy with the result

Sana Almimar
09-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Beautiful ...so beautiful !!!!!!