PDA

View Full Version : Brush & ink: Best Support?

Petdevils
06-12-2003, 02:40 AM
Hi guys,

I want to do some Brush and ink for my folio submission and therefore wanna do it on some decent paper. I have a bunch of Canson 250gsm smooth bristol board and was wondering if thats suitable for wet painting or is it just gonna run everywhere etc? Are there better types of paper.. i have some watercolour paper but its not entirely white.. is that a problem. I have only done brush and ink on printer paper so far and it works well cept it bleeds a lil and is too thin... however it doesnt' run all over the place as i fear it will with bristol..i simply dont' know but can't afford to waste any board as its relatively expensive as im low on cash. Can you please advise me on this as it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

MonicaB
06-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Hi PD,

I'm a newbie at washes myself, but haven't had any luck with bristol and washes. Course, it could just be me. :D But it absorbs so quickly you can't get any control over it. Watercolor paper works much better, in my opinion. You could always try both and see which you like better. I wouldn't think the color of the paper would make a difference for your folio.

Petdevils
06-12-2003, 08:23 AM
Hi MonicaB

Thanks for your reply. I was surprised to hear the bristol sucked the wash in, i thought it would be the opposite problem. In that case i don't think i'll waste any trying it! I was gonna return my wc paper cause i think i made an uninformed purchase with it... but maybe i'll just use it as a test pad? I'm planning on just using bamboo brush with ink and water to change tone and stuff, paint with it...... is that always called 'wash' ... i thought that only meant like tinting an entire canvas or something? Thanks for your help :)

Elankat
06-12-2003, 09:02 PM
I've successfully used 300 lb. Strathmore 500 series Bristol for washes, but that paper is in a category by itself. It's not really like most bristol board/paper.

I'd say to stick with a good watercolor paper unless your bristol is the Strathmore 500.

Petdevils
06-13-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Elankat
I've successfully used 300 lb. Strathmore 500 series Bristol for washes, but that paper is in a category by itself. It's not really like most bristol board/paper.

I'd say to stick with a good watercolor paper unless your bristol is the Strathmore 500.

Hi Elankat,

Thanks for the tip, in what way exactly is the 500 series different, i know its the best.. pro version but apart from apparent improved quality.. does it feel look different etc... as compared to the 3/400's? i ask cause i plan on ordering the smooth 500 strathmore series after this canson runs out.... assuming its definately worth the extra money...which it sounds to be... i would like it for graphite, p&i and b&i? is it possible for u to post a closeup of the 500 paper texture at all? is the main difference the 500 is heavier and stuff and whats ur opinion on the ply situation, how many u need etc?

i also noticed on Dick Blick's that they dont' offer Smooth bristol in the 500 series.. and i coudln't find any pads for it either wahts with that?

Also could you please tell me the size in inches for an A4 and A3 size pad respectively...... eg there are some odd aspects listed and not sure which ones will give me EXACT A4 and A3 sizes as i may have to order from america and need to know????? eg i work in centimetres... metric system?

i figure if im gonna spend good money i may as well get the best version? thanks for your advise in teh meantime i'll use hte wc paper :)

Elankat
06-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Petdevils

Hi Elankat,

Thanks for the tip, in what way exactly is the 500 series different, i know its the best.. pro version but apart from apparent improved quality.. does it feel look different etc... as compared to the 3/400's? i ask cause i plan on ordering the smooth 500 strathmore series after this canson runs out.... assuming its definately worth the extra money...which it sounds to be... i would like it for graphite, p&i and b&i? is it possible for u to post a closeup of the 500 paper texture at all? is the main difference the 500 is heavier and stuff and whats ur opinion on the ply situation, how many u need etc?

i also noticed on Dick Blick's that they dont' offer Smooth bristol in the 500 series.. and i coudln't find any pads for it either wahts with that?

Also could you please tell me the size in inches for an A4 and A3 size pad respectively...... eg there are some odd aspects listed and not sure which ones will give me EXACT A4 and A3 sizes as i may have to order from america and need to know????? eg i work in centimetres... metric system?

i figure if im gonna spend good money i may as well get the best version? thanks for your advise in teh meantime i'll use hte wc paper :)

To me, the 500 series acts, looks and feels very similar to a Hot Press watercolor paper. In fact, I ended up finding out that 500 series was good for watercolor and ink when I grabbed the wrong sheet of paper. I thought I grabbed my sheet of 300 lb. Fabriano Uno Hot Press. When I was well into the piece, I turned it over and noticed that it was the Strathmore. lol :) It was either the 3 or 4 ply. I can't recall.

The plate finish would be smooth. Plate is the equivalent of hot press. A 3 ply or better shouldn't warp unless you get it really wet. They are listed on Dick Blick here:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz133/09/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=958

I don't think I can get you a really good close up. The plate is very very smooth and should work fine for a wide variety of media. I can show you a work in progress that's done on the 500 series plate finish. You can look at it here:
http://www.fairyfire.net/studio/sarch2.htm

You'll notice that I still have listed that it's on Fab. Uno HP paper. I need to correct that. :) It's got some fairly hefty watercolor washes, ink washes, pen work, and some colored pencil on it so far. One of these days, I'll actually finish it. :)

I can't tell you the inches for pads, because we don't even size things with A4 or A3 here in the US. That's a European and Australian thing. You say "size A4" to an American and most reply with HUH? :)