PDA

View Full Version : Lake Ontario Clouds, Foot of Harwood

allanom
05-25-2012, 03:06 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-25-2012/4031_LO-Harwood_WC.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lake Ontario Clouds, Foot of Harwood
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 inches x 36 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Some clouds with personality, hanging over the horizon of Lake Ontario at the bottom of Harwood Avenue, Ajax, Ontario.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

SvetlanaVS
05-25-2012, 04:15 PM
It's nice. Was it done on the scene or from photo? If it was done at location, it's really great, cuz i know how challenging landscape painting can be. If it was done from photograph, i'd like to see more done to it for better depth/transparency of the water.

The cloud in the middle has 2 gray spots, which are a bit distracting, some color variation may be nice in there.

But overall it's nice and peaceful :cool:

you should look up Ivan Aivazovsky, he has AMAZING seascapes :)

tstellma
05-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Maybe you can add some reflections of the white cumulus clouds on the water?

Dana Design
05-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Like this very much. Has a surreal quality to it.

tgsloth
05-26-2012, 06:27 PM
A rule of painting is to avoid straight lines except for the horizon. But, ha, ha, the basis of your painting is about seven lines which create a stage for palpable performing clouds. Goes to show that rules don't apply to some folks. And I love the wavelets. We are not worthy.

greensyster
05-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Personality Plus I would say!

Coen1
05-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Wonderful painting. As 'greensyster states: with personality. Great technique.
Sky and watersurface could be integrated more than you did. At first sight I was thinking of watching two paintings on one picture. Nevertheless a really great work. Would be impressive on a long empty wall in an important public building.

dgford
05-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Impressive in subject and execution. But those mighty clouds I believe would be casting reflections in the sea. Because the sea is so choppy there should be quite a bit of diffusion in their portrayal --- and far from being a"mirror reflection".
I love the way in which you have shown the diminishing size of the ripples as they recede into the distance.
Geoff

eyecandy2
05-27-2012, 01:51 PM
You've done a nice job with the clouds. I do think that your painting could be called a skyscape. Your horizon almost divides the painting into two halves which isn't a good thing to do. You didin't need all of that water at the bottom so you could have dropped the horizon down and shown more sky or you can cut off the lower quarter of the painting to make it more interesting.

allanom
05-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks, all. I appreciate the likes and will consider the crits.

eyecandy: My middle name is "break the rules"...:O)), see my 'Lake Ontario Suite' series: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.406669741078.194772.542151078&type=3&l=e9546eb955