PDA

View Full Version : Daily Scumble 11June 03

bnoonan
06-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Well I have an interesting proposition ahead of me today. I'm meeting with someone who has asked me to paint his portrait (or today we'll at least talk about it). What's a little daunting is that he is bringing a book of portraits for my reference to show me what he likes. There's a Picasso and a Van Gogh he likes....

Hmmm..... could be a rather wonderful and yet frightening challenge. I'll keep you posted though he may end up in oil instead of pastel. This is a customer who purchased two tiny paintings of mine that only cost $25. hmmm... I wonder if he knows what he's getting himself into.... I wonder if I do??? the good news is that he collects some of the greater Bay Area artists and likes some odd work. Could be fun.

Barb

angeline
06-11-2003, 12:10 PM
OOOOHHHHHHHHHHH how exciting for you!
I didn't get up untill 4 pm today.......hubby left me in bed...and even then he had to wake me up! mind you I was working on the castle till 2 am......lol
I can't seem to get into day mode again.
I think my rash is going down already too! I miss work......how sad am I ! .......lol.
I did a sketch last night too working from Jackies workbook.....peppers only using black and white conte pastels.
The next chapter looks fun.
How has everyone elses day been?

sundiver
06-11-2003, 12:44 PM
I got home late from work yesterday because the staff went out for Thai food. Yum! I found waiting at home the onlinre order I made last week for a set of Rembrandts (60 half-sticks), some black gesso, and some Golden Acrylic Pastel Ground. Doncha love new boxes of pastels?:)
I gessoed a few pieces of wc paper and went to bed, after putting one in my bookbag to take to work.
When the kids were working away today I tried it out. I only had cheap chalk pastels in a few garish colors. The paper had black gesso covered with the pastel ground, which is clear and sandy-feeling. Started an apple, didn't like it, washed it off with a wet rag, started again, still didn't like it, washed it off AGAIN. Then I did a loose floral thing from a calendar; in around 10-15 minutes total.
Here it is. I'll probably wash it off again! I didn't like it for blending, but maybe that was the awful colors I had. Otherwise I quite like the stuff. It won't let me get all picky-picky.

Katherine J
06-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Can hardly wait to hear further details on the commission, Barb. Aren't you brave!

Hope those nasty shingles are on the way out, Angeline.

Nice work, Sundiver. Don't scrube that one out - it's got a great feel.

I've spent a good part of the day priming canvases and making presentation thingies out of foam core for my pastels (the system Carly suggested - works great and can be used for mailing too). Now I'm off to ladies' golf night, if you can believe it.

Katherine

Mo.
06-11-2003, 06:27 PM
WOW! Barb! Kudos girl.:) You'll do a fantastic job I know ~ keep us informed.

Aww Ang ~ how you feeling today? Been thinking of you.

Wendy , what a super little painting, don't wash it off, it's too good for that. Never, ever tasted Thai food in my life ~ maybe I should try it one day. :)

Well I've had a thoroughly lazy day today, met my only daughter in town ~ had lunch and a good old natter ~ hope you won't mind if I show you here some of her many, many skills, at present she is into mask making ~ this is one of six she has just finished for a client.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2003/5154-MelchinMask.jpg

Cheers,
Mo.

bnoonan
06-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Mo - try Thai food - you'll love it. As for the mask - it's fantastic.

Katherine - hope the golfing was good. YOu're in the sunshine now!!! Enjoy every minute of it.

Wendy - keep it or wash it off - only you can decide what's best to end up with.

Ange - thinking positive anti-itch thoughts your way.

the commission is a Go!!! This was truly a gift since he's such a lover of modern, loose art I think we're going to have fun with this one. Remind me I said these things if it turns sour at any point. I got what I wanted for a price agreement so time will tell.

Painting another flower - surprised?

Barb

doe
06-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Would have preferred all of your days (with the exception of Ang with the shingles - hope you're feeling better)! Spent the day anxiously awaiting the repair of my beloved 1989 Isuzu Trooper at the local Sears Auto Service Department. Luckily it's attached to a decent size mall though, so I did go malling around, but my repair was so costly that I didn't feel like actually shopping, even though I need to get something for two functions I'm being dragged to. Of course if there was an art supply store there I would have been very happy.

The Trooper was finally ready and running again but sadly it might be time to trade in for something new. Do you get attached to your vehicles or am I crazy?

angeline
06-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Mo that mask is wonderfull!
Barb ....isn't it just great when you get a commision! wd you go!Oh and i just love your flowers gona post it for us ....pleeeeeease?
Doe.....my day has been ok .......i don't feel too ill with it this time ......or maybe thats just cos hubby left me in bed?:evil:
I am a tad tipsy now.....been at my best mates house for cheese and wine.

Mikki Petersen
06-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Mo. Your daughter obviously got her mom's talent. That mask is a triumph!

Ange, I'm glad to hear you are getting some pampering. That is probably the very best medicine.

Barb, you are so brave! Congratulations! This man is going to love your portrait of him. Glad he is paying your price.

I spent the day wandering through antique stores and checking out wood burning stoves. It was fun. Didn't buy anything. Having to dispose of half my stuff sort of takes the charm out of shopping. Sort of like car repair bills, Doe. And, yes, I do get attached to my vehicles. Over time they become like old friends and I hate to see them sick or injured.

angecald
06-12-2003, 01:02 AM
It was my first day off (I get 3 in a row) and it rained! But I waited for a break in the clouds and went out to the park with my pastels.

The weather brightened up for a while, so I stayed 2 hours. I had the usual plein-air experience-- thoroughly enjoyed doing it but got defeated by the subject matter. Forgot my viewfinder, and the little sketchbook for thumbnails, so I got a Surprise Composition, and it does seem as though I never have the right colours with me, no matter how many I carry.

Then it clouded over again, and I got in the door just before the deluge.

Last week I bought a portable easel at a garage sale sight unseen (a friend picked it up for me after giving me a call about it on his cell phone) but it turned out to be so flimsy I haven't been able to make it stand up. It didn't cost much, but I'm so bummed about spending the money for nothing that I decided to treat myself to an Original Julian French Easel. (In my mind, that seemed like a reasonable response to wasted money. Don't ask.) I'd like to buy it in Canada just so I can get it sooner; if I order from Dick Blick it will take ages coming through customs and half the summer will be gone. So far Dick Blick has the best price for the Original Julian, though, and no Canadian source is offering the Julian at all. There are several no-name types on eBay at very low prices, but how soon would they get here? My husband is sick of hearing me talk about this, so I thought I'd bore you all with it for a while.

We're going to be remodelling our kitchen, so I should be cleaning cupboards and painting the walls and ceiling, but I'm not.

Angeline, so sorry about the shingles. I'm appalled to hear you can get them twice. I thought you only had them once, like Measles. Let's hope they're not so bad this time.

Mo, the copper mask is even more impressive than the silver one. I bet the whole collection of masks your daughter has made is really spectacular. I'd love to see them. Any news on your baby birds? We had a robin build a nest right on top of our porch light, although the yard is full of trees. We can actually see the babies pop up for a taste of worm at feeding time. Every time I see them I think of you.

Barb, I hope you'll keep us posted on this portrait commission. Sounds like you're keen to try something a little different.

Sundiver, you sure get a lot done in a day. I like the little sketch. It does amaze me that you work so small and there is so much detail and good proportion. I actually prefer a larger scale but I've been using 8 x 11 sheets for my sketches - it's supposed to be good for helping you focus.

Dark_Shades
06-12-2003, 02:21 AM
Ohhhhhh Mo ................ that Mask IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ......... now that is something I WOULD DEFINATELY put UP on My Wall ....... Hmmmmmmmm Wonder how much that is :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

.......... my computer is STILL not working right........... Not ONE single Email in TWO Days :crying:

E-J
06-12-2003, 04:43 AM
Mo ~ I'm coming to this Scumble a day late but just had to comment on your daughter's mask. What a fantastic piece of work! The twirly leaf shapes ... and all those colours ... it's like a cross between a mask that might be worn at a Pagan ritual and something from a Venetian ball! Love it :)