PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms Anybody?

alex77
05-25-2012, 02:37 AM
I need help with my composition. Mainly the upper left to middle section of the painting. I'm trying to find a way to fill up the rest of the space in the painting. To me the blue background is a little overpowering of the whole piece. I need something else. So I was thinking maybe some green vines with leaves on the left and upper sides of the painting edges? Or possibly a whole new element like a ship or something strange. I mean it's kind of strange and odd to have giant mushrooms with little ones growing on top anyway? What are your thoughts for improvements of this piece. Also I need a few more drop shadows from the smaller lower mushrooms I think?

Acrylic on canvas
Size: 40" X 30"

song_bird
05-25-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure what you're striving for, but it looks extraterrestrial to me. Don't understand what's floating in the left, but if you're thinking ship, maybe spaceship?

Moon, stars, something we recognize that's dwarfed by the scale of the mushrooms?

Nicely rendered.

alex77
05-25-2012, 11:57 PM
The floating thing left of center is supposed to be an island with mushrooms growing on top and roots growing out of the bottom. You have put this in to a different perspective for me. I am glad you said what you did because! You gave me some new and inspiring ideas for this piece. I really like the Star idea A lot. Or a crescent shaped moon would be nice also. That might balance out the composition. Because to me looking at it the big mushroom is the most Dominant object in the whole painting. I also had another idea of introducing another color like Dioxazine purple with varying shades of color. For instance making the background purplish color in varying shades color in the shapes of planets and moons. The darker edges of the mushrooms would fade off into the background and make the highlights of the mushrooms just pop. I guess I'm just looking for more contrast in a way but using more elements in the process. Thanks for the compliment and your input!

La_
05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
marvelously fun - i like it a lot!

i caution against putting a bunch more stuff in it - really, what is the center of interest besides the mushrooms? white spaces (the blue) are a good thing in a composition. love the little floating island - like a mushroom spore gone extreme!

also caution against a purple(ish) background - blue and red/orange IS high contrast (direct compliments) - deepen those colors if you want more contrast and add funky (any) colors to the shrooms if you want more fun/funky.

it's a bit odd that the brushstrokes of the sky are all vertical - it could mean there's misty distant stuff in the background - you could play that up i suppose, if you want more 'stuff' back there - or you could get some horizontal movement back there.

ultimately i like the open, unclutteredness of the blue and the biggest pick i have for the whole piece is the big ol' copyright sign - pretty unnecessary here, we're artists, we don't steal others works and a giant watermark is a big distraction when looking at overall composition.

la

Coen1
05-28-2012, 05:31 AM
I would draw an other island like in the middle of your painting, but from very near, disappearing in the left corner above, almost as far as to the middle above, showing rock and roots. Also I'd made a small change to the floating island in the centre of your work: the halms of the mushrooms on the island, could be straight in order to match with the big mushrooms that dominate your painting.
By the way, did I mention I really like this work?:clap:

alex77
05-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Thank you for your input LA! I will take all those things you said into consideration.

I'm still trying to get a hang of these forms and which buttons to hit 4 replies.
I was trying to reply to your post and then everyone else separate also. But I couldn't figure out how to do that. I hope this is right way of doing it?

alex77
05-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Thank you for your compliment Coen1.
I am kind of sitting with this painting till I figure out exactly what I want to do with it. Or the next step. If that makes sense? Everyone is being very helpful. Sometimes I have the fear of messing it up and it not turning out the way I wanted it to. I imagine most artists have this feeling at one time or the other. I think I'm going to do some meditation with it and see if any new images arise.

Coen1
05-29-2012, 11:42 AM
And don't feel obliged to use comments. Go your own way when 'the golden crit' isn't amongst it.:cool:

Andrewcody
05-31-2012, 02:26 AM
Ditto LA's comment re the copyright banner

No Golden Crit to offer either

Strong shadow cast on top of the big red thing and yet no corresponding shadow cast under the big red thing?

The upper left and middle of the painting - ideas??? Well you are talking probably more than 50% of the painted surface - which is quite a large area.

Why not put in an even bigger red thing which dwarfs the existing red things? This would also add some depth, as the two existing red things appear to be on the same plane.

Andrew