PDA

View Full Version : Currently working on this one

Stefan
06-10-2003, 10:49 PM
This is my second attempt at texture with acrylics and glazing.

Its probably not finished but it wont be far from what it is now.. just letting it ferment for awhile.

like 27in by 38in...

somerset
06-11-2003, 02:40 AM
This one scares me a bit! Excellent! I woud let the viewers complete it as they see fit.

Isabeille
06-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Dear Stephan,

I have been away from WetCanvas for a few months and never saw your art before.

I must say that I love this piece... maybe it is the color... but then again the shapes are beautiful. I love how my eyes are drawn to the upper portion of your painting, and then travel down on the small black line... brilliant!

Isabeille

Mary Riggs
06-11-2003, 05:39 PM
I totally agree with Isabeille. The colors, focal point, balance, forms are extremely interesting. How did you achieve the texture?

As I have already told Isabeille twice, her work with texture is brilliant, and so is yours.

Please share your method if you would. I aspire to a higher level which both of you are already on!!!!!:clap:

astronautf
06-12-2003, 01:05 AM
nice work stefan
this is looking good
astronautf

Stefan
06-12-2003, 12:37 PM
hey all
thanks for looking and for the comments

Mary, with this painting, the texture look is actually not real. Theres really only a minor amount of texture to it.
It was an old painting that I hated and so I painted over it with some primer paint I have.

When I painted it with the primer, I used a large brush which had old crusty hardened paint on it so the bristles were stiff. I slapped the primer on in thick slashing coats. Thats the only texture on the painting.

As for the rest, I am trying to work on scumbling and so the rest of the painting was done in thin and thick scumbled layers.

You probably already know about this but look for some Acrylic Modelling Paste and if you paint in acrylics, look also for Acrylic Gel Medium.
You can use the modelling paste to build up awesome texture on the canvas to be painted over.
and the gel is a nice way to thicken your acrylics so they are alot like oil paint. Works nice for slapping the paint on there in thick layers.

-Stefan

surreal
06-12-2003, 08:40 PM
It works very well.

M.A.
06-12-2003, 09:20 PM
It's beautiful!

Tamana
06-12-2003, 11:13 PM
This is the way I would like to be buckled up in art. Love that color: suede-like soft.

Shalom,

Tam :)

Mary Riggs
06-13-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks so much for the info. about your texture "technique". I always say, whatever works! I'll try the gel medium and paste. Sounds like fun, fun, fun..........

You are so kind to reply to my request for info. about this piece and your methods.

VieSaintSo
06-13-2003, 05:00 PM
You got my complete attention! Very powerful.
Got my eyes to go back and forth ...up and down.
I feel its finish....don't you?:clap: :clap: :clap:
Very impressif!

Sylvie

jolie
06-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Wow, all 3 pieces you have posted are very strong in my opinion. I usually use acrylic gesso spread with a palette knife for texture, although I have been experimenting with gel medium lately. How do you feel acrylic modeling paste works in comparison to them? Is the feel or ability to manipulate it much different?

Jolie

Stefan
06-16-2003, 12:14 PM
hey everyone
thanks for the comments

Yea its somewhat different
the modelling paste is real pasty, kinda like really thick plaster of paris.
in fact, i wonder if it has more of an archival value than plaster of paris... because you could just get some plaster and mix it yourself if it stays as long as this stuff. It would probably be cheaper. I might have to look into that

also you can take some of the modelling paste and mix it with gel medium to make it a bit softer and more flowing for a different texture.

Id say at least buy a small bottle of it to give it a try. I think youd like it.