PDA

View Full Version : Redbuds

crazywoman53
05-23-2012, 08:53 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-23-2012/137465_Spring-Red-Buds.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Redbuds
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is pan pastels on dark grey pastel mat. The colors aren't quite as bright as they are showing on my monitor but purple always seem to grow when I photograph it as did the yellow highlights on the bush.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Too much purple in other places? Was trying to harmonize the colors so the purple trees didn't stand too much alone but perhaps I over did it. What do you think?

greensyster
05-24-2012, 12:37 AM
well the yellow compliment is working for your aim. however, they are the coi asnd they can carry that status so let 'em be! :D

tgsloth
05-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Well...if the photo is not true to the painting, ignore what follows but as I see the image, it is, to me, too "chocalate boxy" (Greensyster technical art term). A lot of masterful art uses muted colors even in the COI, let alone the rest of the painting. Many of your prior work "gets away" with a lot of vibrant colors but I think this one, in particular doesn't work. I submit a photoshop which seeks to illustrate a potential more muted treatment.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2012/124239-137465_Spring-Red-Buds.jpg

Stemaka
05-24-2012, 07:58 AM
I like it! But then again maybe it's just that purple is one of my fave colours.I like the composition and how you have done the far away trees.

Coen1
05-24-2012, 05:24 PM
I like this work. Not too much purple in the rest of your painting. But in my opinion the purple doesn't fit because all of the other trees and plants have natural colors. Nevertheless as I stated, I like it.

AllisonR
05-24-2012, 05:29 PM
I really like it, purple, green, yellow and all. I think one thing could pull it all together a bit more - adding just a few punches of dark blue-greens that you have in top left trees into the walking path. And maybe also a tiny of the same into the shadow under the green tree on far right.