PDA

View Full Version : Have I failed before I've begun?

kare
06-09-2003, 06:34 PM
I faxed the organiser of an art exhibition last friday, asking him if i still had time to send an application in for the exhibit.

He phoned me at the office, fifteen minutes after i had sent the fax and said that size restrictions for canvas were 100x80cm. I did a size conversion on my computer as I only knew my canvas size in inch's..

My abstract/acrylic piece "Mouring Has Broken" is 101.7x82.5cm!
I phoned the man back and told him, he said he would get back to me about it.

He asked for my telephone number and I replied "it is on the bottom of the fax i sent you." to which he answered:

"I threw that in the bin!"

Is everyone in the industry like this? I felt like he was doubting my ability way before he even saw what I was capable of.

surreal
06-09-2003, 08:10 PM
No.
Everyone in the art world isn't like that.
There are a great many kind folk out there.
I have been lucky to meet a few kind people in the art world.

There are always insensitive, arrogant and sometimes sadistic folk in any circle of people.

kare
06-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Sorry Nina..
I was pretty upset at this man.. he seemed really nice when i first spoke to him over the phone, but to have him come right out and say that he threw the fax away.. i just felt rejected before he had the chance to see what i could do, you know?
thanks for the response. i just hope i come across some nicer exhibitors in the future.
-ciarrai.

surreal
06-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Hi~
No need to apologize to me.
He treated you very poorly, which of course, can be discouraging.
I am sorry that you had this experience.

amanda
06-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by ciarrai

"I threw that in the bin!"

Is everyone in the industry like this? I felt like he was doubting my ability way before he even saw what I was capable of.

Dont worry, I felt this guy was pretty rude too, I hope things turn out ok for you.