PDA

View Full Version : Repentance

tgsloth
05-21-2012, 02:51 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-21-2012/124239_Repentance.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Repentance
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I saw in the early stages of this work that I had jammed the figure's head into the upper corner of the picture frame. Oops. I'm going to argue that this is very clever; I'm creating a claustrophobic space for this emotionally charged figure.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Alternate title: "Where is my freakin' contact lens!"

AllisonR
05-22-2012, 03:16 AM
I think he claustrophobic head works - I thought this was on purpose. That, plus all the blue, add to an eerie, off mood. Like the purple hair. Not sure if it is repentance or not, but the title is fine.

Crits - perspective seems off, for example his mouth is too far below his nose and his jaw is way too big. If we are looking down on him, these should be shortened. His arms seem too short to me, and the left hand seems to be more orange-brown and the right hand more straw colored. I guess you were maybe trying to show the one hand in shadow, but it doesn't read like that, maybe because there are no other shadow/highlight areas in the painting, there is only color. Which is fine, if that is the style you want, but then you should not try to add shadow to only the hands.

kotinka
05-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Beautiful colour blends!

maryinasia
05-22-2012, 06:11 AM
esp love the background top right. Personally I think the composition works -- you know the rules, and when to break them. Don't repent.

allanom
05-22-2012, 09:37 AM
The comp with head in corner gives this piece its charm and raison d'etre. I think the face is fine. However, I agree the different-coloured hands don't quite work; and I'd narrow the wrist and hint at a fourth finger (I see 3 and a thumb) on the forward hand. Simple but engaging work of art, Bob!

La_
05-23-2012, 01:19 AM
hrmm

i think he's just too squished

great study/pose for many activities ... game of marbles perchance

or a confessional booth background? ... but he'd still be to visually squished

has an old world feel to me

la

arnieb
05-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Beautiful reflective work, the colour and minimal detailing set the sceen and mood expertly. Not sure about head in corner - but it does make one think about fitting in/being molded/smallness - and edginess about subject. Arnie

AllanFink1960
05-24-2012, 06:16 PM
I really like the mood of this one. The title is very cool. There is a painting called "temptation" at the Frye Art Museum in Seattle that comes to mind. It is a nude woman in the dark, wearing a scarf thing, but after you look at it for a while you notice the scarf is actually a serpent wrapped around her. You can see part of it here (http://fryemuseum.org/founding_collection/P128/) in the upper left corner. Maybe you can work something sinister into your shadows.