PDA

View Full Version : Hard Pastel Sketches

orange0127
06-08-2003, 11:54 PM
Hello everyone, i just started to draw with hard pastels, not a big fan of soft ones, maybe it's because i have never tried them before :p Basically, i'm using hard pastels as charcoal but i get to throw in a little bit of color in there to give my drawings an extra kick. Hope you like these two :D

24x36in, hard pastels on brown paper

Keith

PS- i promise i'll try using soft pastels to make paintings :angel:

orange0127
06-09-2003, 12:00 AM
This is the other one, this one is my 3rd attempt with hard pastel, the one up there was the first. i think i'm getting the hang of it little by little

soap
06-09-2003, 12:29 AM
"the hang of it little by little"????? You mean with huge leaps! Wow, these are absolutely wonderful! Thanks for posting....now that is how to use pastels in figures......aaaah......now I see......LOL.......

Thanks for sharing!

Dark_Shades
06-09-2003, 03:07 AM
These are excellent :clap: ..... I like hard pastels too ........ its a scary thought you using 'Brown Paper' ........ please invest in some quality archival pastel paper ....... I would hate to see these disintergrate

........ hope you will post more

E-J
06-09-2003, 03:14 AM
hello Keith ~ looks to me like you've mastered those hard pastels already and I'm guessing you're a very experienced artist in other media. What do you usually work in? Would love to see what you can achieve with soft pastels too ... great stuff, thanks for sharing :clap:

Smudger
06-09-2003, 03:58 AM
They're Great...well done:clap:

orange0127
06-09-2003, 04:56 AM
Thanks Sopa, Dark Shades, and E-J :D

These were done at my local saturday morning workshops. It was an unintructed class so I got to try out new medias and do whatever i wanted to. Right now, i'm really into using pastels because i can make a drawing so much faster and it is much more interesting to look at than a pencil drawing!

Dark Shades, i agree with you that i should use better paper from now on, but it seems hard to find them as big as 36x24in. It's easier for me to work big. And you know what!? The brown paper i have is a 36in by X yards roll, so that means i can do a life size drawing on it :D

E-J, my most experienced media right now would be graphite pencils. But being a great oil painter is really my goal. I dropped out of college to pursue art 2 years ago, and since then i've been training classically. Yes, i draw LOTS of plaster casts!!! :mad: too much! Now it's finally starting to get fun because i have a certain amount of skills and i can go around drawing things i like :clap: :clap: and use hard pastels :D

Here is a drawing i did yesterday at the workshop using black pastel..... i could hardly call this a pastel piece because it looks just like a charcoal drawing hahaha

18x24in, greenish-grey pastel ground on strathmore paper, black pastel........... 3 hours

orange0127
06-09-2003, 05:00 AM
Thank you too smudger, didnt see you there earlier ;)

Keith

marilyn h
06-09-2003, 07:52 AM
Looks as if you handled the hard pastels very well. Great sketches.

BTDogMom
06-09-2003, 03:02 PM
These r gorgeous!!!! - Just stunning! :clap: :clap:

Mo.
06-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Masterful figure sketches everyone of them ~~

This is the other one, this one is my 3rd attempt with hard pastel, the one up there was the first. i think i'm getting the hang of it little by little

Can't wait to see what you produce when you feel you are in command of it:) WOW!!!

cheers,
Mo.

maverick
06-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Wow, these are great. You obviously have the skills to tackle any medium you like. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

orange0127
06-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks Marilyn, BTDogMom, Mo, and maverick. I should have a new piece to post every saturday :D

Keith

Smudger
06-10-2003, 12:53 PM
I'll be checking in every saturday then... great work:clap: