PDA

View Full Version : Encaustic series - "Invisible Forces" part I

edzstudios
06-08-2003, 08:29 PM
So, I was watching TV and I saw an image that reminded me of the pattern of a magnetic field created by the opposite poles of a bar magnet. I thought it would be a cool image to paint, and gradually that idea turned into a series of abstracts representing the unseen forces in our universe. This is the first piece, "magetic fields". actually this is still a WIP, as so far this is only the background. I will be doing the actual field image on top of this and fusing them together. Comments, crits welcome and encouraged!
BTW, the piece is 12x16, encaustic on masonite

diane555
06-08-2003, 08:58 PM
WOW, this is beautiful Lazarus!

Di

edzstudios
06-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Thank you! Its actually kind of funny, I did the piece, and I did not like the way it turned out, so I melted the whole thing down with the heat gun, and let all the layers fuse together, resulting in the above work. It looked better, so I decided that I would leave it as is, and use it for the bacground, re-doing the actual image on top!

Healer
06-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Hi Lazarus,

Good to see you enjoyed your course in encaustics and getting into it yourself. I kinda like this one the best of the three you posted, even if it isn't finished and the others are more vibrant in colour. This is more turbulent. I've ended up getting the hot air gun out a few times myself too. I like the chaotic effects you can get but it's difficult to control it. I noticed you are working on masonite. Have you ever tried claybord? It is made by Ampersand who are located in your part of the world. I have used it and quite like it because I can get similar effects to what I can get on sealed card. I did read somewhere that you can request a sample from them so it may be worth a try if they'll give you a free sample to try out. Anyway I look forward to seeing where this piece goes.

Andy

edzstudios
06-09-2003, 03:17 PM
I havent tried clayboard, thanks for the suggestion. I use masonite mainly b/c I have about 20 pieces of untempered masonite lying around which provides a nice absorbant ground (since I prime with wax). I'll check out the clayboard. it took me a while to get the hang of the heat gun, but I find that if I turn the heat way up, and the airflow down I get a very hot, gentle stream that can give a nice controlled fuse without blowing the wax around...

Xerielle
06-09-2003, 06:54 PM
So far, awesome! I can't wait to see where you take this! :)

edzstudios
06-10-2003, 11:07 AM
here it is updated... there is some glare so the colors look a bit washed out, but you get the idea :-) it is much more vibrant in person. Encaustics are really hard to photograph, b/c they are so reflective... blah...

edzstudios
06-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Ooops....