PDA

View Full Version : into the freezer

sundiver
06-08-2003, 08:05 PM
I find when I'm working with o.p.s, the surface warms up and it becomes difficult to layer without leaving it to set overnight. If I don't do that it gets slippery and the next layer picks up the one underneath.
I didn't feel like waiting for this one, so I stuck it in the freezer of the fridge for 15 minutes.
Ba-da-bing! Worked fine.
5x7 on gessoed matboard, took , um, 2 periods of last night's NHL hockey game :D
Critiques welcome! Thanks for looking.

CarlyHardy
06-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Are o.p.s., oil pastels?

Really like your still life - great color. This sounds like a tip you could send in to one of the magazines....they pay for tips sometimes!
carly

sundiver
06-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
Are o.p.s., oil pastels?
carly

Oil pastels, yes.
Thanks, Carly!

marilyn h
06-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Glad I saw this post! Thanks for the info. Those peppers are crisp and beautiful. NICE!

Kathryn Wilson
06-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Kewl - LOL

:cat:

bnoonan
06-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Stunning job on those peppers my friend. I think putting them in the freezer and ice hockey in the same sentence is pretty ironic. I just returned from Seattle where it was in the 90's for the better part of the week. I read your subject line and was expecting a snow scene.

Barb

angecald
06-09-2003, 12:50 AM
Gorgeous peppers, Wendy. I think you've made a great discovery there.

E-J
06-09-2003, 03:10 AM
Nice one, Wendy. The arrangement of the three is simple but effective. Doesn't putting your pic in the freezer make it a little damp? Do you have to leave it to dry out before you can then work over it?

Dark_Shades
06-09-2003, 03:10 AM
Excellent Wendy ......... love these......... beautiful colours...... stand out so well against the backgroun ........ and love how they have covered the paper

:clap:

soap
06-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Great deep colours! Well done

Katherine J
06-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Fabulous peppers, Wendy. I'm so impressed with those who can handle oil pastels well, and you're obviously expert in the medium. I love these simple compositions and subjects.

Katherine

nancymae
06-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Not only will I have palettes in the fridge...with watercolor paints and acrylics...but my oil pastels!!! Oh...I can't wait till hubby finds this out......WHERE'S THE BEEF??????

Hey...he should be a vegetarian like me...and eat out of the crisper drawers!!!

Great painting...and thanks for the great tip!!! Love them peppers!!

Nancy

Mo.
06-09-2003, 05:28 PM
You amaze me with your tiny paintings Wendy ~~ this is Gorgeous, vibrant ~ I had to smile about the freezer part too, haven't yet resorted to the freezer, but have stuck mine in the fridge on top of the peppers :)
I also use one of those gel ice packs to keep the pastels cool too.

cheers,
Mo.

maverick
06-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Nice peppers! And thanks for the tip on freezing oil pastels. I may break my vow never to use them after learning this.:D

sundiver
06-10-2003, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the encouraging comments! This one was fun to do.
E-J, I don't think it was in the freezer long enough to get damp. Also, it was matboard . Not sure what will happen with paper until I try it. But I'm enjoying the matboard..found a pack of assorted kinds cut to 5x7.
I don't know why I work so small; impatient, maybe; cheap maybe :D, clumsy for sure- big pieces get crumpled. Last summer everything I did was 4x6! By next summer maybe I'll have worked up to 8x10!

Originally posted by bnoonan
I think putting them in the freezer and ice hockey in the same sentence is pretty ironic. I just returned from Seattle where it was in the 90's for the better part of the week. I read your subject line and was expecting a snow scene.
Barb

It's also ironic that the game was taking place in California! The temp here was just comfortable: t-shirt and jeans.

cobalt hue
06-10-2003, 08:32 AM
lovely painting. is the background oil pastel or did you use a dark gesso? also. did you apply the gesso with a brush, and, if so, did the oil pastels reflect the brushmarks?

thanks for your time.

angeline
06-10-2003, 09:31 AM
This is great ......love the colours.

sundiver
06-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by cobalt hue
lovely painting. is the background oil pastel or did you use a dark gesso? also. did you apply the gesso with a brush, and, if so, did the oil pastels reflect the brushmarks?
thanks for your time.

Thanks! It's white gesso. The background is dark green o.p. topped with dark red. It made a nice rich dark that may not show very well on a computer screen.
I applied the gesso with a brush. The brushstrokes don't show much- it's textured matboard. However, I also have a thicker gesso that does show the brushstrokes sometimes.
I just today got the pastel primer and black gesso I ordered online-can't wait to try it.

Hayley, thanks for your comment!

TeAnne
06-20-2003, 08:17 PM
WOW! I think this is outstanding. Gorgeous rich colours :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dyin
06-21-2003, 12:30 AM
Hey...nice rich colors! Haven't tried the freezer yet...what brand OPs are you using? I think surface makes a difference...my last was on velour and it wanted to obliberate the color underneath no matter how warm it got...so had to have a real light touch for shading...but on canvas I should have tried the freezer...anyways, love your little paintings!

amanda
06-21-2003, 01:35 AM
These are so great, I love how capsicums (sorry, for all non-aussies, that's the same as peppers) come in so many different colours. These are so vibrant and the black background really brings out those colours. I always buy one of each colour in summer if I'm making a salad (also in white, purple and cream colours).

pragash
02-16-2010, 01:09 AM
wonerful peppers and thanks for the tip wendy.

pragash

hask2004
07-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Fantastic, I love it, I think the warm could help in blending.

:)

halthepainter
07-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi Hask, the last previous posting here was well over a year ago and many of the posters to this thread no longer participate here.

thevaliantx
09-13-2012, 03:10 PM
That makes me sad, Hal. I wonder where all those posters went. Died? Moved onto different mediums? Found another pastel-related forum to attend? Hid from the Internet altogether? It's like looking at the ghosts of Wet Canvas when looking at everyone's avatars. A post in 2003? In the Internet world, that's a very long time ago. :confused:

halthepainter
09-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Valiant, you've been digging deep to find these old threads. :wink2:

thevaliantx
06-28-2013, 09:49 AM
It's me again, Hal. :lol: