PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastels 10th-16th June

Mo.
06-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Hi everyone ~ As you all know Dawn is taking a much deserved break ~ rather than let this thread elapse I've volunteered to keep it open during the summer months.

I appreciate that for most of you this is a very busy time and you may not want to participate ~ that's fine, don't feel you have to, it's entirely your choice~ I'd rather see this thread kept open than closed , as I feel that it encourages you to do those daily sketches whenever you can ~ letting it lapse even for a few months, could make some of you lapse too ~ We don't want that to happen.

So just to remind you what this thread is all about ~~~~~

It was originally started by our dear Sunny ~ she wanted to encourage us to paint quick studies from life when at all possible ~ painting from photo's wasn't exactly frowned upon, but she encouraged the life sketches/paintings in a given time limit.
This was to encourage you to develop your skills and seeing powers.

Dear Dawn took over from Sunny, originally only to be on a temp basis, but what a wonderfully excellent job she has done. ~ now Dawn after carrying this thread for months desperately needs a well deserved break, why she's not been made a WC guide by now puzzles me ~ she has put her heart and sole into the Pastel Forum and I for one feel she deserves some sort of merit for that.

So most of you know the score, but for those that don't:-
Here's a link to the very first thread created by Sunny.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89372

As most of you know the object is to paint a sketch from life in the main, within a given set of time i.e. 30 -45-60 minutes, then stop at whatever stage you are at.

Here's a link to last weeks thread, see all the beautiful work produced there :-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111063

This is open to artists across the board of all degrees of skill, from the beginner to the professional.

This is now the 17th week.
I hope you will all take time to have a go ~ let's give Dawn our utmost support here. ~ She so darn well deserves it!

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
06-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Thanks, mo, you're a peach!
I'll be away from my computer for 2 months, will still be sketching but don't know when I can access a scanner, so it's anybody's guess how often I'll be posting.
But once fall rplls around I'd be glad to help out here, too, if needed.
I agree about the WC guide thing, especially since our current guide hasn't been around for 3 months. BTW, I was surfing the net and found this article KarenU posted to an online artist mag in March.
http://www.ebsqart.com/zine_za_175.htm
Here's one I did yesterday looking out my window at the cottage. The water kept changing- some rough and reflecting the sky, some smooth and reflecting the trees. I did a soft pastel of this last fall. This one's o.p., on 5x7 gessoed mattboard.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2003/6393-june7fromwindow.jpg

bnoonan
06-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Nice job on the entire piece. You really have got a knack on painting those trees - something I've always envied.
I'll check out the article by Karen.

PS: Love the red shoreline!!!

Barb

Mo.
06-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Oh Wendy this is a gobsmacker I love it ~ I still marvel at your tiny paintings, do you always work this size? What a wonderful exhibition they would all make. :)

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

Enjoy your Summer, hope you will pop in from time to time.

cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-10-2003, 08:29 PM
MO: Here ya go - neighbor's mailbox with lavendar and pinks. Trying to get outside to draw from life - but it was 90 degress and the mosquitos attacked!

This is on Canson Mi-Tientes - more holes! Art Spectrum paper has spoiled me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2003/14941-mailbox.jpg

Dark_Shades
06-11-2003, 07:54 AM
awwwww thanks a lot Mo (((hugs))) to you :)

....... thats lovely Wendy..... your landscapes are so good

...... thats an interesting read from KarenU

...... I like the colours in your mail box Kat....... ha!, know what you mean about Canson and art spectrum...... lol I hate Canson now :evil:

...... glad to see people are posting......... great work you guys

angeline
06-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Ok here is one of my sketches.........i followed Jackies work book and this is all about tone and not worrying about the shapes.
Still in saying that I'm not too impressed with it I seem to have trouble just sketching .......like if it's not gona look like the item i'm doing properly then i seem to loose heart with it.....does that make any sense to anyone?!:confused:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2003/19726-sketch_peppers.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Angeline: I think they look exactly like peppers - good job!

But I know what you mean when you lose heart - happens to me every time about half way through - stick through the "uglies" to the end. Half the time I am surprised with what I come up with if I stick it out.

:cat:

Dark_Shades
06-11-2003, 12:32 PM
I think you have a wonderful elephant there ang :) .... ha!, no seriously........ you have done good with it, can see clearly what it is ....... try getting more shades with what you are using...... so you get alot more lights and darks going.......

I understand what you are saying.............. but all practise is GOOD practise and you learn each time....... all makes for improvement....... keep going

angeline
06-11-2003, 01:44 PM
DS ........so glad you could see the elephant!......lol :p
Kyle....thanks.
For got before to comment on others.
Wendy that landscape is a cracker!....so tiny! how do you do it?!
Kyle.......i find my favorite digit works wonders on the first layer to get rid of the holes!......:evil:

E-J
06-11-2003, 04:08 PM
arrghhhhh

E-J
06-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Apologies for previous post :D ... I had started typing my message and it was sent before I'd finished! I tried deleting the post but could only delete my message. I must be tired. Anyway ... Wendy, another smashing little landscape. I recognised the picture of the lobster and glass in KarenU's article from my Bill Creevy book. Kat, the mailbox and flowers make such an unusual subject. Hayley, your peppers could only be peppers! No idea why you're not happy with them, but I do know what you mean about that stage where things aren't looking too good and you start to feel disheartened. Only one remedy for it. Keep sketching! :)

Mo.
06-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Kat ~ Love your little mailbox ~ I sympathise with the heat and especially the mozzies, do those things bite through clothing?~~~ I have a massive one, where my skin was covered, right on the top of my inner thigh :D

Ang ~ That's a great little sketch of the peppers ~~ keep going, work through it, you are doing great.:)

cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-11-2003, 06:00 PM
MO: Those little buggers will bite through socks, on your neck, on your scalp, hands, face - wherever. And with the West Nile virus season coming up, not sure if I want to take a chance. It's still lifes for me -

Mo.
06-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Kat ~ the one that fed on me must have bitten through my jeans :D Little buggers is too mild a word for them. :D:D

sundiver
06-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Kat, I experienced the heat and those mozzies here, too! I had an hour to play between delivery and pickup (Mom's Taxi here) so went to the local nature trail with my o.p.s
I think the result is a bit ghastly. It was all just..green, except for the path and a mass of pink honeysuckle everywhere (at least that's what it looked like). It's on a 5x7 piece of gessoed matboard. I didn't have my turps to make an underpainting, so I really smeared those sticks around.
I did one in almost the same place in April from a photo I took on Easter Sunday.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2003/6393-june8mudlaketrail.jpg

Hayley, your peppers are terrific!

Kathryn Wilson
06-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Sundiver : Green grass, green trees, green plants, green pine trees, green water - grey skies - that's why I did the mail box. Going to work on some still lives or may even tackle a portrait for the June Pastel Project - you may or may not get to see that one, for it will be a first for me.:D

Kathryn Wilson
06-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Ooops forgot to mention that you did exceptionally well for such a green day - the path and the flowers really pick it up. Did your OP's get sticky in the heat?

angeline
06-12-2003, 04:58 AM
Sundiver this is gorgeous!
Did you find it different to work from life rather than a photo?.....better/worse?

Craig Houghton
06-12-2003, 02:35 PM
I just bought a yard of black velour and I figured I'd do a quick chili pepper from memory to try it out. I read the posts here regarding velour and was intrigued. It's such a goofy sort of support. It eats the pastels up and each layer goes on as if previous layers didn't even exist. I like it.

I found that a nubby cosmetic brush fluffs away the pastel as if it wasn't even there to begin with. I was able to just brush away the borders and fluff out dark patches. It's pretty neat stuff and the paper made the pastels feel more like light vine charcoal on newsprint :)

As the other threads mentioned, you can blow away the painting with a strong breath or tap the paper till you have nothing but velour carpet left, but fixative did wonders.

10 minutes (if that) on black velour w/ rembrandts and a unison

(did I mentioned the velour is a really goofy sort of surface? :P It's fun though)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2003/21273-velour_pepper.JPG

-Craig

Kathryn Wilson
06-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Craig: Isn't it fun!! I love working on velour, but when I was taking formal pastel classes, I was told it was a no-no. I did it anyway and found that for animal portraits you couldn't find anything better.

Your pepper looks like it was done by a master - dark and mysterious. Good one!

Kathryn Wilson
06-12-2003, 05:38 PM
MO: My usual Thursday pastel day effort - on Pastel Clayboard 11 x 14. The color went on so easy - this is a very different style for me and I like it! 20 min.

Not happy with the shadow, but if I fuss with it right now I'll spoil the pic. Will work on it later if I can get some input from y'all -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2003/14941-pitcher2.JPG

Craig and I seem to be experimenting with very different grounds today!

Dreams-of-Flight
06-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi Everyone

I kinda misunderstood what the weekly thread was about - thought it meant everyone submits one pic every week so posted elsewhere, lol. The sun was setting fast but it looked so good I just had to race to sketch it before the light went.(Pastel pencils on Ingres paper)
It was good fun to have to work so fast.

BW
Lisa
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2003/20724-sunset1.jpg

Dreams-of-Flight
06-12-2003, 05:59 PM
the big cloud on the right is not nearly so blue & a bit lighter in the original

Dark_Shades
06-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Nice to see you posting in here Lisa ;) ....... nice quick work there :D ...... no, the reason why they are called weekly..... lol, is that a new thread for the 'quick' sketches is posted each week ....... its gets such a great response with postings, that anything longer would take an age to load

...... love the black and the red Craig...... very striking

....... lovely landscape again Wendy ...... am getting used to that orange/red soil :) ...... adds such an interest into the landscape colours

Mo.
06-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Text deleted..duplicate post. :)

Mo.
06-12-2003, 08:09 PM
You folks ar all putting me to shame with your quickie painting... I've done absolutley nowt, but have to admire your determination and skills here.

Wendy.. you never fail to produce a wonder..the path a lovely compliment/contrast to the cool greens ..super work as you so easily seem to do.

Craig...love the pepper...so dramatic..full of punch..it's a 'look at me, I'm a pepper ' painting.... Love it.!

Kat... What is clayboard? Not heard of that before... I like your pot, I like the loose strokes you have used but as you say, maybe a tad too much blue there in the background, try introducing some of the colours of the pot into the background.
It appears to be floating, it needs to be grounded.

Dreams-of Flight

Glad to see you posting here, don't worry about the mix up, you can post as many pics as you like here, it's good fun too.
You will soon get to know this zany lot of artists.. they are a great bunch of folks.:)

That's a really lovely painting... Especially like the sky, it has a sort of desolate feel about it.... you've done really well....how long did it take you and what size is it?

cheer,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-12-2003, 08:16 PM
MO: Clayboard is a masonite panel with a clay and pumice ground w/neutral color put on. Forgot who made it - will get the name to you tomorrow. I think it would be super for OP's. Very fine tooth, non-penetrating surface?

Will work on that background in my next 20 min. - LOL

sundiver
06-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by angeline
Sundiver this is gorgeous!
Did you find it different to work from life rather than a photo?.....better/worse?

Actually I didn't find it all that different, except for the mosquitoes and the fact I couldn't just jump up and get something I'd forgotten. But when I take a ref picture I am imagining how I'll approach the painting, I look for the colors, etc., and I go through a similar process with the photo before I start.
I see I'm not the only one experimenting with grounds this week. Here is my first o.p. on black gessoed matboard, 5x7; took around 20 minutes.
It's from a photo but many liberties were taken with the composition. The background "should be" blurry blue and greens, but Julie said to leave it black. What do you think?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2003/6393-opapplesongessoedblk.jpg

sundiver
06-12-2003, 10:51 PM
My monitor has gotten so bad I can barely see that picture, so I don't know if it's a good scan or not.
I can't see Craig's pepper, either.
Lisa, that's a terrific landscape!
Kat, I like the free-and-easy style of your jug!
Dawn, I'll post a photo of our red PEI dirt one of these days. I was 9 years old before I discovered that other people had to live with plain old brown or black dirt. I felt so sorry for them!

Kathryn Wilson
06-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Sundiver: I love it just the way it is!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Craig Houghton
06-13-2003, 01:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments on my pepper. :)

Sundiver - It's perfect as it is. The beauty of a black support is that you can leave the paper as is and let the forms rise out of the darkness. Plus, it saves your OPs from wear :)

-Craig ;)

flower
06-13-2003, 03:11 AM
Hi everyone,

Just dropped in too say hello, .....................

....................WOW some really lovely pics, my fingers are getting all itchy to start pastelling again, hope to be joining in again soon...............................

Mo.
06-13-2003, 06:37 AM
Wendy those berries are absolutely stunning. I love the black background, gives it more drama.

My monitor has gotten so bad I can barely see that picture, so I don't know if it's a good scan or not.
I can't see Craig's pepper, either

My monitor was bad just recently too, but I calibrated it two days ago, using Adobe Gamma, now everything is just fine.

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
06-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
Wendy those berries are absolutely stunning. I love the black background, gives it more drama.
My monitor was bad just recently too, but I calibrated it two days ago, using Adobe Gamma, now everything is just fine.
cheers,
Mo.

Thanks, Mo. They're apples, actually! :)
What's Adobe Gamma? Tell me about it! My monitor at work is very dark but seems otherwise stable. My monitor at home has gotten dark and has streaks, flashes, and lines running up and down. I think maybe it's had the biscuit...

Mo.
06-13-2003, 08:31 AM
Wendy Adobe Gamma, comes with Photoshop software...do you have Photoshop? If you do you should have Adobe Gamma...it's a type of Wizard which takes you through step by step on how to set the colours etc., on your monitor.

pampe
06-13-2003, 06:29 PM
I think I did this for the Impressionist Project...but thought I would put it here too for comments, please

12 x 16 blue MiTeintes
copy of a Morisot oil

30 minutes

thanks for looking

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2003/4054-morisotpastel.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Pampe: Absolutely stunning. You have conquered this painting in an wonderful impressionistic style -

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-13-2003, 06:59 PM
wonderful colours Pampe.......... well done :clap:

angeline
06-13-2003, 07:08 PM
Pampe this is gorgeous! Love the colours and style in this.
I have been browsing to find a pic that hits me to copy for that project...........that is gorgeous!

flower
06-13-2003, 07:09 PM
Hi Pampe,

Beautiful painting, really well done!!!!!!

pampe
06-13-2003, 09:34 PM
thank you, kyle, DS,

Angeline...I think all the Impressionist portraits are gorgeous....just pick one!

:D

flower, thanks!

Smudger
06-14-2003, 02:24 AM
Pampe...stunning, stunning...stunning:clap:

doe
06-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Just stopping in to say great paintings this week!

I've been working on a couple of oils this week and didn't get the pastels out.

Kathryn Wilson
06-14-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by kyle
MO: Clayboard is a masonite panel with a clay and pumice ground w/neutral color put on. Forgot who made it - will get the name to you tomorrow. I think it would be super for OP's. Very fine tooth, non-penetrating surface?

Will work on that background in my next 20 min. - LOL

Mo: The brand name for the board is Ampersand and apparently JerrysArtarama here in the states is having a sale on them (saw in another post).

Feeling ambivilent about using the boards - I loved the way the pastel went on in the first layer, and if you know what you are doing (and I don't) and don't make any mistakes and want to take out something (like the nasty flower I took out in the lower right corner), then it's okay. But, I lost the tooth after using a shaper tool to take out the pastel and it filled the tooth up.

My second question would be how you would frame - haven't figured that one out yet. I used OP's on one of their smooth boards and liked it for that, but did not use turps at all.

doe
06-15-2003, 09:02 AM
Kat - I've used the Ampersand Pastelbords quite a bit. If you lose tooth, just spray with reworkable fixative - or wash off and start over. You can use turpenoid on it or alcohol or water. You could even re-gesso the board with the pastel gesso that contains marble dust or pumice. As for the blenders, I can't comment since I've never used them. Framing is done without a mat - use spacers instead - plastic ones you can get from Jerry's I think or direct from the company that makes them - econospace/framespace something like that.

Kathryn Wilson
06-15-2003, 09:38 AM
Doe: Thanks for the info - like I said, I really liked how the pastel went on and it sure was fun seeing how the colors sparkled off the grey ground.

I guess the shaper must have filled the pores and I'll avoid doing that again. For the money, this board is relatively expensive compared to some of the more expensive papers. I also felt it was easy to handle for plein aire - no taping.

:D

Craig Houghton
06-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Craig Houghton
I just bought a yard of black velour and I figured I'd do a quick chili pepper from memory to try it out

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2003/21273-velour_pepper.JPG

-Craig

I'm glad I tested out the velour!

I just sold this darn pepper. It's the first time I've ever sold a work to a 'stranger.'

I really don't know how to ship velour, so I fixed it carefully again, and I bound it up in layers of snug pallete paper, newsprint, posterboard, and peg-board. It seems pretty secure :P

I sold the little 7x6 pepper for 7.50 plus 2.50 shipping on ebay. They used Buy-It-Now. I'm super-pleased :)

-Craig

Mikki Petersen
06-17-2003, 02:07 AM
Well congratulations Craig! Sounds like you've bound that Pepper up good enough to go around the world and back again, tee hee! What a great feeling it must be to have someone just like your work so well they snapped it up at your asking price.

I've been toying with the idea of using E-Bay to clear out some of my paintings. Is it very complicated?

Craig Houghton
06-17-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by 1mpete
Well congratulations Craig! Sounds like you've bound that Pepper up good enough to go around the world and back again, tee hee! What a great feeling it must be to have someone just like your work so well they snapped it up at your asking price.

I've been toying with the idea of using E-Bay to clear out some of my paintings. Is it very complicated?

And, regarding ebay: If one wishes to, you can make your listings out of custom html and all that, but if you just want to start with the basics, it's very very simple. You'll have to first fill out the forms and such they require of the sellers, but once that's all set you can submit listings. They'll ask you for the category, descriptions, price, shipping price, the image to display, and everything else -- just follow along with their procedure.

For a listing with an image, the convenience of having a Buy-It-Now option, and a thumbnail pic that everyone sees when browsing the category, you pay about 60 cents to list. This changes of course when you use extra images etc, but extra fees are labeled very clearly.

I use my own html tags so that the page format and the image hosting is handled on my own end, but save that for later.

Oh, also, if you try it out, put WC! somewhere in your item description so that you show up when people search for Wet Canvas members :)

Hope this helps,
Craig

Mikki Petersen
06-17-2003, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about it...

Kathryn Wilson
06-17-2003, 07:37 AM
Craig: Way to go Craig! :D

This gives me the impetus to try putting something on ebay - I've been putting it off because the people posting in the Internet Sales forum have not been too encouraging about ebay. I've been watching the sales go down and down - so your victory is even sweeter.

I've never sold anything to anybody, so it would be first - :rolleyes:

You might want to post something about your sale over in that forum - it might perk up their spirits.