PDA

View Full Version : Snake!!!

DraigAthar
06-08-2003, 08:55 PM
I was pretty excited about this photo ... I've only taken photos of snakes in zoos before, usually behind glass. But this was a wild snake, we ran across him lounging on a tree branch when we were out hiking today! I was amazed at how close he let us get - maybe he just didn't want to give up the sunniest branch in the forest. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2003/8060-snake.jpg

It looks like a rat snake to me, but I honestly don't know my snakes very well, so I hope I wasn't doing something really stupid by getting close to a poisonous snake, LOL!!!

Amy

jsr88
06-08-2003, 11:28 PM
:eek: AMY!!! First of all it's BEAUTIFUL! Second of all....a serious EEEEEK! I could NEVER have done this!

:clap: ~ YEAH for AMY!!! ~ :clap:
She's BRAVE! :confused: :D :cat:

llis
06-08-2003, 11:32 PM
He looks like he is smiling to me.

Photo tip: Don't ask a snake to say cheese. :D

SunnyJon
06-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Nice catch Amy & great looking snake! I think you're probably right about the type. Are there poisonous snakes where you live?
Anyway excellent DOF & comp-right on the money!:D :cool: :clap: :clap:

wintherstudios
06-09-2003, 04:27 AM
WOW that is one awesome shot! I could not have done that, i would be shaking way to much.. super shot :):clap: :clap: :clap:

hahaha llis @ Photo tip: Don't ask a snake to say cheese.
I am cracking up over that one!:music: :clap: :cat: :eek: :rolleyes: :p

labang
06-09-2003, 08:22 AM
What a magnificent shot :clap: :clap: you can even see the red spots.... would that signify poisonous???

Elly

haggis63
06-09-2003, 09:38 AM
This is a beauty. Love snakes and I love this photo. Couldn't tell you how many snakes I've come across, probably over a hundred, but do you think I have any good photos. Not one.

Alan

Crias
06-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Very cool photo! I think your rat snake ID is correct.

We have a 5 foot Bull snake on the ranch that cruises around every so often. I got close enough last time to pet him and see that he is missing one of his eyes!

Check out this cool site for IDing US snakes... http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/products/snake/quick%20id/quickid_01.html

DraigAthar
06-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Thanks everyone!

That's a good ID site, Cathy - I think that confirms that it was a black rat snake (thankfully, lol). Sunny, I dunno if we get poisonous snakes around here ... I think I read somewhere that rattlesnakes can sometimes be found in the area, and I'm pretty sure we get water moccasins, but I honestly don't know.

It was kind of funny when we found it, actually. I was walking along the trail, and I saw this big black shape in a branch up ahead, and at first it looked a lot like a certain kind of disease a tree gets, where the branch gets all black and thick and knotted. And then as I got closer, I realized that the branch had SCALES and EYES ... haha!

Here's another pic, trying to fit his whole body in. Not as good as the first one, but oh well:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2003/8060-snake2.jpg

Amy

Margie L
06-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Wow! Amy--that is some snake and both are good shots. The second really shows his size. He must be finding lots of rats to eat.
My DIL has a couple of corn snakes as pets. Beautiful but Ugh! She carried one with her on an air plane years ago. She sewed a soft belt like pocket that fit around her waist. Put the snake it it and wore a big sweat shirt over it. That would be almost impossible with airline regs now. I have become a bit more at ease with snakes since we were introduced to hers. LOL

kaleidoscope eyes
06-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Wow~ he's (or she's?) magnificent, well done:clap:
We only have grass or garter snakes here, I love them they eat slugs:)

SunnyJon
06-09-2003, 07:50 PM
WOW! That thing was HUGE! That second shot is terrific!:D :clap: :clap:

wandathefish
06-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Hey Amy, you have almost as many adventures as Trimoon, I believe that the first shot might be called "Snakeyes" and the second one reminds me of the physician's staff with entwined snakes, forget its name but I think this one could pose for a pic. Truly wonderful pictures.

DraigAthar
06-12-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks everyone! Wanda, I think that symbol is called a caduceus, and you're right, it does look a bit like that! :)

Amy