PDA

View Full Version : Tulip Invasion

Shawn Maynard
05-19-2012, 10:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-19-2012/1057702_Alien_Invasion.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a watercolor of a photo I took. It caught my interest because the field in the background allowed me to capture some depth at the angle I took it at. I am interested in seeing comments about the compostion of this.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Input on compostion, level of detail, contrast and any other points you can point out would be welcomed.

Dana Design
05-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Just my two cents. I'd remove the large reddish tulip in the middle of the painting. I think it throws off what would otherwise be a good composition.

The painting is very very cool in tone. Not sure if this was your intent or not.

Coen1
05-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Lovely colors. I like the way you painted the green leafs of the tulips in front. At the same time, the way you painted them slightly differs from the rest of your painting, I think.
The composition is ok. to me, but it didn't need the buildings on the background. However, maybe you wanted to look for a big contradiction with the tulips.

Shawn Maynard
05-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks for your input. I did have to go in an rework the leaves after I did the flowers so I expect it needs a bit more integration.

AllanFink1960
05-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Very nice drawing of tulip anatomy.
I agree that the buildings compete with your lovely flowers. The little details on the buildings "say too much" about the buildings when your painting wants to "talk about the flowers". Maybe a wash to flatten that out would help. Generally speaking, detail tends to bring things forward toward the viewer. I would recommend leaving out the buildings, the cyclone fence and the whole Z shaped composition of the background shapes. Treat it like your camera had been set to a very short depth of field and just leave the background as blotchy ambiguous darks.

Also, art teachers talk about a concept of "massing" your darks, and "massing" your shapes. Your flowers are kind of "spotty" and it creates a pattern more like wall paper than a flower portrait. If you bring your flowers together so one overlaps another to make one shape rather than blotches, they will tend to read better as a "bunch". Or make one main bunch on one side, balanced by a smaller bunch on the other.

Lastly, the row of flowers is acting like a fence across the front of the painting and kind of keeps the viewer out. Again, the massing of shapes would allow the viewer's eye to "walk around" the flowers.

Shawn Maynard
05-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the great feedback

allanom
05-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Great crit, AllanFink!