PDA

View Full Version : Carolina

jolie
06-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I have completed a new nude. While I used the same techniques I've been employing on all my others, I think she's funkier than all the rest. Originally, I painted her body red, but planned to scrub yellow over most of it and add highlights of blue. I planned on using a deeper tone red to outline her body, which would have been in keeping with my other softer, more subtle pieces. I blocked in the red and outlined her with white, just so I wouldn't lose my detail lines as I worked. I was going to go over them later, but liked the negative effect of the white between the deep red and blue.

Many thanks to Jenna, who was my sounding board between stages. I think she's done now and have dubbed her "Carolina", which means joy or happy song in Italian. By the way, it isn't pronounced like North Carolina, but more like Caroleena. I know it seems silly to point that out, but the cadence is very important to me in the way I visualize the nudes. LOL...anyway, it's on a 30x30 inch canvas done with acrylic, ink, and gesso. The greens actually read turquoise in reality, but other than that the pictures are pretty accurate.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2003/7623-carolina,_complete-sm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2003/7623-carolina,_detail-sm.jpg

jenna_searcher
06-08-2003, 02:30 PM
oh, she's perfect. i love the background- good choice, girl. nicely done, as usual. thanks for letting me tag along :D

sciartist
06-08-2003, 03:28 PM
The contrast is great. I really like this:D

rapolina
06-09-2003, 05:19 AM
beautiful "diagonal" composition and great contrast of colors! i like the way you painted the backgroung.

ciao, rapolina.

Tamana
06-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Looks like a Carolina girl to me. (North Carolina girl, that is) ;) You SURE she's not? :evil: I never knew what it meant in Italian. Always nice to learn something new. The brushed yellow completes the balance in this piece. I'm not sure I like the negative of the white, especially straight down the abdomen and forethigh. It's almost like the inner thigh is a separate part of her; however I do LOVE the pose. She's free.

Shalom,

Tam :)

deevaa
06-09-2003, 07:49 AM
Oh carolina! Her body it a-swing like me grandfather clock, girl rock your body ... front and back ......

Xerielle
06-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Another stunning piece of work jolie. I definitely need to go back & review your other posts!

jolie
06-09-2003, 08:04 PM
thanks for your comments everyone. i really appreciate your feedback.

tamana,

i understand what you mean about the white. i quite surprised myself by liking it, as it's a bit more stylised than i would usually go for. i'm not sure it'd go for that sort of thing everytime, but on this one it feels right. i can appreciate that not everyone will like everything about it...hell, i'm just glad someone likes anything at all. lol i'm glad the freeness of the pose came through. she actually reminded me of my best friend, who used to be a dancer (she saw that in her too, which was great). that's why i chose a name that means "happy song". it seemed to say she was dancing around joyfully in an unrestrained way...a happy chick just being carefree and doing what she wants to do. i really like that.

Xerielle,

I'm glad you like it enough to want to check out my other stuff. I just did a major update on my website, so you'll probably have a much easier time following the link below to my website, rather than hunting for other posts.

Jolie