PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot - June 9-15, 2003

Mikki Petersen
06-08-2003, 12:45 PM
The Pastel Riot is a weekly challenge to create a painting from one of several reference photos provided. There is no time limit. The point is to compare the different ways we each approach the same subject.

The first person to post a painting each week wins the opportunity to host the Riot for the next week.

I have spent literally hours searching through photos both here on WC and my own collection and finally came up witht he idea to do some skill building subjects. Here goes:

#1: We all struggle with hands and Rosic posted this intriguing image for us to use.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2003/14550-harmonica_hand_-_rosic.jpg

#2: Water droplets are always a challenge and leave it to Teanne to come up with a great shot for us to practice on.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2003/14550-water_droplets.jpg

#3: Last but not least, from our own KarenU, here is a subject of bright color and whimsy.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2003/14550-tropical_fish_-_karenU.jpg

Hope at least one of these images inspires you and we see some interesting results. Have a great week!

Mo.
06-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Unusual but interesting choice Mikki.

Hope to try at least one.:)

Cheers,
Mo.

E-J
06-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Nice, unusual choices Mikki. I don't think I will have time to participate in the thread but am bumping it back up to the top so that others that may wish to don't miss it :)

Mo.
06-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Well done E-J, how about bumping up the Weekly Pastel thread too:D:D

Forgot to add~ Mikki I intend to tackle one of these tomorrow. :)

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
06-10-2003, 02:28 PM
I know I said I was too busy this week to do art....and I am. This is totally work avoidance, done in stolen moments when I'm not peeling kids off the walls (starting their holidays early) or showing them how to use vanishing points.
Again, cheap o.p.s and ink on manilla tag, around 8x8. The anatomy is somewhat wonky.

sweetiness
06-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Very cool sundiver. Looks kind of folk arty. Is it a layer and scratch off kind of technique?

Mikki Petersen
06-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Sundiver, I love your technique on this piece. Amazing how we can come up with some great stuff when we are "just playing", isn't it. I don't think there is any wonky anatomy on it.

Here's my try at the same subject...looser than usual but I really had to struggle with those sausage fingers...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2003/14550-harmonica_hands-a.jpg

9x12 on la Carte paper

bnoonan
06-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Wendy - great job. I can't believe you can capture that much on a manila folder paper. Wowwww - I'm sure you're glad you stole those few minutes.

Mikki - nicely done. Love the colors you brought - most specifically the ear, the harmonica and the blue background. Those fingers are really quite well done. You should be pleased.

Have to admit I don't have time to participate (nor do I typically). It looks like a great choice of photos for a good challenge.

Barb

soap
06-11-2003, 03:27 AM
Wow, good job on those hands in both pictures. Well done! would love to give it a go too, but will probably not try this week.....one day......

E-J
06-11-2003, 03:30 AM
Mikki and Wendy, they are both great interpretations :clap:

Mo.
06-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Wendy ~ Mikki ~ two super pieces of work, both so different, but both so brill !! :clap::clap:

I still haven't had time to do one, but I will, promise.:)

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
06-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Oohh, nice one, Mikki! I know what you mean about those sausage fingers- I think I broke one of them lol.

Originally posted by sweetiness
Very cool sundiver. Looks kind of folk arty. Is it a layer and scratch off kind of technique?

That's it exactly. Thanks!

angeline
06-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Hey Sundiver and Impete.......these are fab! I dunno if i will get to do one this week but will keep an eye on whats happening......these are just great.

Mikki Petersen
06-12-2003, 02:14 PM
I couldn't resist these fishies...

Angelfish
Pastel on Black Suede Matboard
9x12
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2003/14550-angelfish_a.jpg

This was fun and even though it looks like a complex painting, it only took about an hour to do.

guilliame
06-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Sundiver and Impete,2 very good and different versions,it seems popular so i'll thro mine in,and i'll swop my sausage fingers for Impete's:D

Impete,love your fishes :cool:

guilliame
06-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Version no3 coming up,DS will probally know why i chose it:D

Dark_Shades
06-12-2003, 03:10 PM
..... just wanted to say......... Im limping around in here guys...... got MEGA Computer probs :P :P : P :crying: wahhhhhhhhh

.......... hoping to join you ....... great works Mikki and Wendy ...... love your fishes Mikki

Dark_Shades
06-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
Version no3 coming up,DS will probally know why i chose it:D

ohhhhh I just saw this comment, as I was limping out lolol .......

erm I do :confused: ........ Hmmm *scratches head

....... go 'orn, 'gis uz a clue :D

Mikki Petersen
06-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Guilliame, I love the hands in your version. You were able to capture that ancient quality on the back of the hand just right.

mhimeswc
06-12-2003, 06:10 PM
The three versions of the harmonica player are terrific, each in their own way. And I love the fish painting. Both of these seem to be complex subjects but you have done a fabulous job on them.

Michelle

bnoonan
06-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Guillaume - nice work on that hand and harmonica.

Mikki - great fishes and I can't believe it only took an hour. What size is it?

B

Mo.
06-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by 1mpete
I couldn't resist these fishies...

Angelfish
Pastel on Black Suede Matboard
9x12
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2003/14550-angelfish_a.jpg

This was fun and even though it looks like a complex painting, it only took about an hour to do.

Gawd Mikki ~~~ I'm foiled again.:D

I thought everyone is doing sausage fingers, so I'll do the fishies... Haven't yet done either...but I will promise, but not the waterdrops:D

Mikki.... your fishes are superb~~~~
:clap: :clap: Grand piece of pastelling!

cheers,
Mo.

Mikki Petersen
06-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Hey, Mo. Remember the original intent of this thread is to see how different artists interpret the same subject. You don't have to find a picture everyone else rejected, LOL

JamieWG
06-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Mikki, you are getting waaaay too good. I think you need to go join Sunny and Barb in the Naughty Corner. :evil: 'Love what you're doing these days!

Wendy, I can't belive you were able to do such a good hand while peeling the kids off the walls! LOL...It is indeed that time of year!

Jamie

flower
06-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Hi everyone,

Canīt join in this one unfortunately, but love your choice and the brilliant results from everyone

Smudger
06-13-2003, 08:40 AM
Great work everyone:clap: :clap:

Rosic
06-13-2003, 09:11 AM
Mikki, sundiver, and guilliame;
Just wanted to let you all know that I am honored that you picked one of my photos to work from. Each one of you did such an unique and excellent job. You all are very talented! A little background on your subject... His name is Edd. I belong to a Civil War reenacting unit (18th North Carolina Infantry) and Edd is a member along with his son, Edd Jr. We have a 1860's period style band called the "Huckleberry Brothers" and Edd plays harmonica (duh). He is in his late 80's and still camps out with us. Thanks again for sharing your "works of art"... I'll be sure to show Edd!
Rosic

Mikki Petersen
06-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Rosic, thank you and thank Edd for the wonderful subject photo. Your re-enactment group is probably helping Edd Sr to remain active and spry! It would be great if you could post some more photos from your re-enactments. I have done some costumes for some local re-enactment groups and know how carefully authentic those costumes can be. Thanks again.

guilliame
06-13-2003, 01:55 PM
....... go 'orn, 'gis uz a clue, the eyes DS the eyes:D

Dark_Shades
06-13-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
....... go 'orn, 'gis uz a clue, the eyes DS the eyes:D

........ erm....... :confused: ......... gimmie anuva one :D

guilliame
06-13-2003, 02:30 PM
........ erm....... ......... gimmie anuva one ,Jeez you know i hate to draw eyes:eek: thats why i add on sunglasses,and as this ref pic didn't have eyes it seemed perfect for me lol:D

Dark_Shades
06-13-2003, 04:06 PM
ROFL .......... OMG!!! Guilly lolol .......... I had forgotten allllllll about that lolol ......... and the paper bag and the sunglasses ...... lolol ...... well you have come along way since those days

Ha! ...... thanks for the giggle

Mikki Petersen
06-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Oh how funny!!!! LMAO! I' glad I chose a portrait that met your specifications, Guilliame. And a terrific job you did, too.

Dark_Shades
06-14-2003, 05:06 AM
Mikki, just wanted to say, not that Ive not joined in on this project lol ........ it was that I was already working on a pair of hands just as this project started.......... I seem to be getting slower lately on getting anything done :P :)

Mikki Petersen
06-14-2003, 11:07 AM
'S alright Dawn, I'm not feeling shunned. It's summertime "and the livin' is easy"...

bnoonan
06-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Dawn,
Just realized that under your name in WC it says "immortalized" - is there something we need to know about that????

:D

guilliame
06-14-2003, 01:23 PM
'S alright Dawn, I'm not feeling shunned. It's summertime "and the livin' is easy"...
Hi Impete,just happens to be one of my fav songs:) and i think you are right things are slowing down,the weather in the uk is gorgeous at the moment and we have to take advantage of it as it could be raining next week,anyway thanks for the ref pic and your commments on my version of the hands:D

Rosic,i'm glad you liked our 3 versions of Edd,it seems to me he has an interesting face and as Impete suggested if you post any more of him in the civil war re-enactment be sure to let us know:D

Dark_Shades
06-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by bnoonan
Dawn,
Just realized that under your name in WC it says "immortalized" - is there something we need to know about that????

:D yes................. I get to haunt you all.......... officially now lololol :evil: :D

Mo.
06-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
yes................. I get to haunt you all.......... officially now lololol :evil: :D

OMG!! :D:D

Mikki... I too haven't painted anything... I fully intended to, but...life and the lovely weather here has got in the way...sorry my friend.

cheers,
Mo.

Mikki Petersen
06-14-2003, 11:33 PM
Okay, since the week is almost over, it's decision time. Sundiver was the first to post but she did this recently. Only three of us participated this week. Do we continue? Sundiver, are you up to posting images? Do we want to let these images go another week? Do we want to forgo the Riot?

Mo.
06-15-2003, 05:49 PM
Mikki... I started two of your pics this afternoon, but neither one quite finished... I vote for letting it run another week, give me chance to finish :)

Cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
06-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Okay, since the week is almost over, it's decision time. Sundiver was the first to post but she did this recently. Only three of us participated this week. Do we continue? Sundiver, are you up to posting images? Do we want to let these images go another week? Do we want to forgo the Riot?

Sure, I'll post some images. And there's nothing to stop anyone from posting to this thread belatedly as well. Anything that gets us painting is a good thing! We don't have to "go by the book", since there's no book! :D
Just got back from a cold and rainy weekend at the cottage, poor me, couldn't do much yard work, had to stay in and play with my pastels. :) :)

Mikki Petersen
06-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Mo. - You go girl! Can't wait to see them even if they're not done for a while yet.

Sundiver - bring on the new ones. I'm loving all these great new sources for painting.