PDA

View Full Version : three for therapy

La_
05-19-2012, 01:43 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-19-2012/84648_oopsies.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-19-2012/84648_poppies_mono.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-19-2012/84648_perspective.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: three for therapy
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: various
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
oopsies - 16 x 16 oils, venting a bad week

poppies - 16 x 16 oils, calmed from venting

perspective - 16 x 20, experiment with leftovers

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything, my world is a better place now, thanks art = )

AllisonR
05-19-2012, 01:57 PM
The first one is just too disturbing for me to comment. Well painted, though I wouldn't want it in my living room. Hope you know what I mean.

2nd one doesn't do anything for me, just sort of there.

3rd one I think has strength - love your clouds and the warm glow coming out of the right window, contrasting the cloud reflections in the door (or whatever they are). Good play on reflection and perspective.

Jody Schmidt
05-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Not crazy about the 2nd and 3rd painting, but the first has some possibilities. It is overt, but not overt in an overdone Goth style. Hopefully, the simplification (which I love) and dramatic lighting will remove you from Goth, Manga, Goya, Romantic and Surreal depictions of similar subjects and place you in something new.
Excellent use of cylindrical and triangular compositional elements, especially the exposed neck and the space between the lady assassin and the posed decapitated figure. That violent wedge between them is important. This painting would lose alot if the shape were not triangular.
Also, good visual unities: the pony tail and the axe; the outstretched arms and the lady's body; the man's forward foot and the decapitated head. It binds it all together.
Like this a lot!

birdhs
05-19-2012, 03:52 PM
ahhhhh..... now does that feel better?

The strength of the first one is fascinating, the palette warm and emotional, the subject very personal. Rarely do you paint strong bulky males, this was quite a change. The woman, as always, is so willowy, yet this one is very powerful. The ax must weigh as much as she does. going bloodless on this scene was perhaps a subconscious choice.

I would definitely display this, one of your best.

Poppies under a hot hazy Mexican sun. Calming. Lyrical.delicately wafting in that hot breath of the desert

For reasons I cannot explain, the plane of the building is at a different angle than the clouds. One clashes with the other. I don't know how one could make the clouds appear to be viewed from underneath. The perspective on the building is done very well. Wish I could be more positive about this one.

as always, Thanx 4 posting, these pleaseth our eye, Greg

La_
05-20-2012, 11:45 AM
thanks guys,

the first one started as a study in a mans body and i just couldn't get his head to look right (bowing/major foreshortened), so i chopped it off and added the female. bloodless was a fully conscious decision, to avoid being too gruesome.
men are terribly difficult for me to paint, all those big muscles 'n stuff. more practice is in order.

the second, meh, decorative schluck, i gave it a red background last night ... didn't help much.

the third seemed an interesting challenge - i'll have to study clouds more to find how to properly perspect them from underneath - it's not really believable is it.

la

Dana Design
05-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Third one? Yes, it looks like we're looking down on the clouds. But I like it!

The first one? Call the therapist!

Second one? Agree with you.

eyecandy2
05-20-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm sitting here at my computer and looking out the window at a sky full of clouds. They have to be the most inexpensive subject that you can find to study. Just keep looking and you'll find. As for painting men, not too different from painting females. They just have the bumps in different places. Of course they require a greater knowledge of the anatomy since each muscle is more prominent and can't be smoothed over as in the female. Get some pictures of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican and see how it is done. Good luck and hope you get out of your doldrums soon.

Coen1
05-20-2012, 03:30 PM
First one: And when you chop off a man's head, he appears to be empty!:D Of course, women knew this all the time ......
I like the woman with the never ending legs. He could use some plastic surgery. The humor in it, is appreciated here.
Second one: I like the rhythm in it, but it is off-balanced in colors to me.
Third one: Looks unfinished, but I guess you were running down in paint-rests?:)

allanom
05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
As a psychotherapist, I use a set of 400 random image cards I've made up from which I have clients pull three face down, then turn over in sequence and talk about in stream of consciousness. You have literally "drawn" (well, painted) three cards and proffered them here as your therapy images. I would need to hear your stream of consciousness responses, however, I see a progression from the horrific beheading of the male (is that your inner male, or some male in your life?) and then you progress to a relatively innocuous floral piece (safe haven?) and then to the sky piece with floating rectangles (your conscious mind lifting you to more spiritual planes?). The progression seems to be flight from difficult past to means of dealing with it in the present.

La_
05-23-2012, 12:25 AM
haha, painting is still cheaper than therapy = )
yes, empty, hollow, echo echo echo ; )
and yup, all in one day - rant, vent, purge, move on, 'tis how i roll = )

i had hoped to get back to these by now and have an update/progress of improvements on something, but alas, life, tsk, it keeps pulling me away.

plastic surgery, pruning, refining - awaits

thanks guys, i concur with the lot of it

la

Debzy
05-23-2012, 07:41 AM
The third one La, it could be from an aeroplane window looking out at the clouds and looking down on the aeroplanes wing!!! that is what I thought it was at first =)) I really like it very much! I love the poppies, I like their simplicity and transparency, very subtly and delicate. I see a strength in them despite their delicacy. I think this is very really well done. Cheers. Debs. =))

tony1
05-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Whatever is going on I know you'll work through it.

As far as the art - Sorry to be the odd man out but I love the second one. Decorative Schluck can be nice sometimes, and I like this one.

The first one, I think the man fits your style of human figure. Maybe a tad more work - but looks ok to me. Don't care for the piece's subject though. Try looking at some body building magazines for insight to a man's anatomy.

The third I'm not sure of - interesting concept with the perspective. Not sure how to paint the clouds from below. But they can't be too different than painting "regular" clouds as we're always looking at clouds from below :)

As usual pieces from you make me think - thanks.

kotinka
05-23-2012, 08:04 AM
I love the poppies, I could imagine this being used on textiles.

bemoored
05-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I liked the third one quite a bit; sky looks to have land and a horizon, yes, just as if one were just above the lowest clouds. I automatically thought it was approaching the edge of an artificial cliff with hatch visible, seemed to fit the therapy theme, maybe considering whether to leap in the unknown? Leave the artificial behind? ambiguous and evocative I thought.

AllanFink1960
05-24-2012, 05:41 PM
For all three, consider the idea of fore ground, middle ground and back ground. Your imagery seems to have one or two but not all three. Also pay attention to your page layout and the negative spaces between shapes. When you go to paint, take 10 minutes and draw little thumbnails to work out compositional issues before you start. I know some people like to just get the brush wet and get going but the little thumbnails can really make a difference.