PDA

View Full Version : Daily Scumble 8-6-2003

Mo.
06-08-2003, 07:27 AM
Good afternoon one and all :)
Someone recently suggested resurrecting this thread, so thought I would.:angel:

There is some sort of fishing competition going on today on the foreshore ~ so I decided to take my sketchbook and sketch some fishermen in action ~ Well fishermen are not that active really, they just seem to sit there looking out to sea and hoping to catch something ~ radios blaring some undescribable 'music' :D~ rag worms and other sorts of unmentionable bait spread all about ~ umbrella's and wind shields galore, so thought I'd have a go. ~ Disaster.:D

I perched myself on the most comfortable rock I could find ~ one that didn't poke my bum too much, took out my sketch pad and started sketching ~ the first thing that happened ~ a rather hairy wet dog comes sniffing around nearly knocking me of my precarious perch ~ the wind by now was really springing up as the tide came further in, but I was happily sketching away and settling in to things, giving myself a pat on the back for my valiant efforts against the elements ~ the two fishermen I decided to concentrate on were exceptional models ~ they hardly moved at all, I was going great guns, despite my hair blowing into my eyes and the pages of my sketch pad flickering away with the wind ~ then disaster struck ~ big hairy dog comes bounding back to me with a stick wanting me to toss it for him ~ like a sucker I put down my sketch pad and picked up the stick to throw it for dear little doggy ~ a gust of wind lifted my sketch pad and to my horror landed it promptly over the rocks into the sea. :D Whaaaaaa!!! There it is bobbing around in the water and me perched some 20 feet above on a rock helpless ~ fisherman friend tried to hook it with his line, without any success ~ how does he expect to catch fish then if he couldn't catch that?

:D:p :p :( :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Ah well ~ how's your day been so far? :)

Cheers,
Mo.

E-J
06-08-2003, 07:41 AM
'Morning Mo ... although in fact it appears to be the afternoon already and I haven't done anything so far ... Last night we had what is known in our household as "too much fun all at once" ... a bbq and rather heavy drinking session with friends :) Today it's an effort just to stay vertical, but when I've recovered I plan to dig out some stuff to sell on eBay, enjoy a Sunday roast and do a bit of pastelling. Enjoy the rest of your weekend ~ hope you can pick up a new sketchbook somewhere. I would have thrown dear doggy into the sea :D

Mo.
06-08-2003, 07:47 AM
Hi E-J ~ Think I'll settle down in my little studio for the rest of the day ~ good thing you weren't with me this morning ~ as in your rather fragile state you may have landed in the briney too !:D

Sounds like you had good fun though ~ good luck with Ebay. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

soap
06-08-2003, 07:55 AM
G'day guys. What a way to start your day Mo! The adventures of an artist......Well here not much artistic stuff going on......unfortunately......the only painting I'll be doing is painting skirting boards.... my other half is laying new floorboards......dirty job but someone's gotto....:D
Next I am going to laze in front of the telly to watch a Dutch man in the Roland Garros finals.......he'll probably be slaugthered by a Spanish bloke, but I'll keep my finger's crossed......

E-J - it sounds you're having a typical Sunday! Good for you!

:)

rd2ruin
06-08-2003, 08:37 AM
LOL Mo! If I see a sketchbook wash up on this side of the Atlantic, I'll be sure to return it :D

I'm up early on this Sunday, planning to go into the city for the Rittenhouse Square Art Show. I know Arlene is there, maybe other WC folks. She won Blue Ribbon in CP/pastels, saw it in the Cafe!

I've been trying to shake off the a case of bubonic plague, or SARS, or something, so it'll be nice to get out of the house. Sux too because I can't pastel anything :( . With the way I've been sneezing, it woulda been a pastel-o-rama (but not in a good way) LOL. The only WIP I have is the girl smelling flowers, and I'd hate to erase that canvas clean! :)

Cheers!
- Greg

meowmeow
06-08-2003, 08:58 AM
been trying to shake off the a case of bubonic plague, or SARS

Yuck! Please do shake that off! Get better!

We are up in Maine where I had heard the weather was going to finally be great this weekend and I would get to do some painting outdoors. No such luck. Drizzle, cool, generally lousy! I did take my sketchbook to grandson's baseball game yesterday morning before the rain started up again. I did some charcoal quickies of the little ones. Those were real quickies mind you....those 7 and 8 year olds don't stand still too long! :D But at least I was drawing something. Sketched some tree trunks too.

It is good weather to make another cup of coffee and read a book I think.
I have about had it with the rain.

Sandy

rd2ruin
06-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by meowmeow

It is good weather to make another cup of coffee and read a book I think.
I have about had it with the rain.

Sandy

You dont know rain. LOL Down in here we had one ... ONE sunny day in May, and Thursday was nice. Other than that? A perfectly grey canvas has been wrapped across the sky since April.

I agree with the coffee, but make that another pot :)

meowmeow
06-08-2003, 09:23 AM
You may be right Greg...I think you guys have had more than us....then again, I'm not sure. Maybe we had 3 days of sort of sun this spring. I know Mother Nature is making up for lost time though.
Plenty of coffee to go around...help yourself!

Mo.
06-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey Sophie ~ sounds like a fun day you are havving :D:D

Ugh Greg ~ not a good way to fix your pastels ~ hope you shake the dreaded lurgy soon~ if you guys want to know what rain is like visit Wales ~ we don't sport sun tans here ~ we get rusty and grow webbed feet. :D

I have a feeling that it's going to be one of those days here ~ disaster two has just struck ~ my whirly washing line collapsed around me ~ yards of wet washing smacking me in the face ~ I hadn't propped it up right ~ hubby had to come and disentangle me from the wet sheets and towels ~ think I'll go back to bed and start again. :D:D

Cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-08-2003, 11:44 AM
LOL - Mo, thanks for giving us a "glimpse into the life of plein air artist" - hilarious, but I am sure not for you.

Since it's just such a lousy day here, going to look through my art books. Yesterday it rained cats and dogs for 10 hours.

:cat:

Mikki Petersen
06-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Well, despite a case of plague, it sounds like Greg is having the best day of all of you.

I am going blind viewing photos in the Reference Image Library looking for the perfect subjects for this week's Riot. Then I get to start packing china and knick-knacks to begin the ardous process of moving. Ho-Hum.

Hearing the complaints about rain just makes me jealous. Here in Central California, we are locked into the scortching season. Hundred degree days with nothing but smoggy sunshine.

Hope everyone's day cheers up and something delightful happens for each of you.

angeline
06-08-2003, 01:39 PM
OOOOOHhhhhhhhhhhhhh wd Mo!
Ah well I am in the mist of doing a 6 night run of night's at work...it's not too bad I do get quite a bit of time to play with my pastels......lol
I am trying out pastel pencils......quite a different technique i'm finding ......I got a learner pack from http://www.bradleygallery.co.uk/index.html his work is really good and i'm hopeing that I can learn and then put into practise for more detailed peices as well as the using pastel sticks.
We are currently shopping and gathering bits together for our holiday .....i soooo love shopping!
Mo .......I think that would of been just my luck! Omg! I just read your 2nd post I am lmao!!!!!!!!!!! Go to bed hun......lololol
Ej...did you manage to do what you planned?.....i so love roast dinners........but i don't cook much when i'm on a run of nights.......not hungry and hubby is out to work as i get up till i go to work.......the kids just don't appreciate a roast the same!
Greg........ hope you feel better soon.
Soap .......oh for a nice laze in front of the tv.....not done that for ages!
meow......I'l have a coffee ta.
Kyle......... sound like a nice way to while away the time.
Impete.......well you did it! and fab pics they are too!.....sounds like the perfect weather to go for a swim.
Ah well off to work at 8 for me finish at 730 in the morning.....the ward wasn't too busy last night so i'm hopeing to get more drawing done.
Hope you all ended up with a good day.

meowmeow
06-08-2003, 02:03 PM
@(#&#^@*@(#[email protected]

I am typing this with 2 fingers! Just got back from the emergency room! Right after I posted I decided to empty the dishwasher. Big mistake....brand new steak knife got me! Sliced right through the knuckle of my right thumb! :(
So...I am patched...bandaged and splinted for at least 5 days...essentially out of commission.
No...this day is not getting better.
I'll go take some tylenol with codeine and take a nap.

E-J
06-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Hayley ... that's a long shift! My husband cooked us the most delicious dinner ... roast chicken with Provençal herbs ... cauliflower ... cabbage ... shallots ... and a really rich, mouth-watering gravy. I would happily eat it all over again :) Several times :) :) :) Haven't quite got around to the eBay thing yet ... thanks for reminding me. Look forward to seeing what you produce with your pastel pencils!

angeline
06-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Oh meow!.........ouch! Can you not draw with your toes?....
E-J .......Yes it is a long shift but it soon whiles away when i am sat drawing or pasteling.......lol like i said lots of time! mind you if we are acute and really busy it soon goes that way too!
I am sooooooooo wishing I could eat that dinner now......I was going to register with Ebay but i spend too much online as it is!
Off to grab a shower now.......might pop on from work later.
Still haven't caught up on the rest of the board yet!