PDA

View Full Version : The shipwreck

Stemaka
05-19-2012, 06:42 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-19-2012/1065912_DSCF1127_(800x600).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The shipwreck
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 11 by 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have been painting and drawing on and off for 10 years.Previous to that i had never tried painting or drawing since school.I did a few watercolours in my first 12 months of my new hobby but as time went on didn't do it so much and for a few years only did about 1 painting a year.In the last 12 months since my accident i have started taking it more seriously and am painting regularly.This watercolour of a shipwreck i did last september.It's the 1st painting i have done just using my imagination without any outside influence or reference ect.It as also the 1st time i have painted the sea / waves and wasn't sure what to do so just went with the flow.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I think i could have had a darker sky to better contrast with the sea which would have shown more of a stormy scene but i haven't quite mastered skies yet.I don't know how to paint waves yet so i just did my best with the knowledge i had.I wasn't sure about the colour of the sea but i didn't want to go for blue.

Any constructive critisme would be welcome.

dgford
05-19-2012, 07:06 AM
I think the question is "does it convey the feeling of a shipwreck?"
In my opinion --- YES.
The waves may be shown higher than mountains --- but they are fearsome waves. The man may be too large --- but he is lost in that immense sea. The painting may lack colour --- but it is cold, unfriendly and unforgiving.
And doesn't that tell it all?
A darker sky I think would have diminshed the drama of the stricken vessel.
Conratulations and welcome to our group. It is a good entry.
Geoff

tgsloth
05-19-2012, 07:08 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the sky except where you put yellow in it. You do have a "light" issue IMO. The overall painting shows light as an overcast stormy day. But the yellow light in the ship reflects strongly off the waves and this would only happen at night. So the painting should either be much darker or not show the yellow light in the ship.
The ship and figure are painted pretty well but the shapes of the waves are very unconvincing. On the right you've got some which look like solid little mountains and right in the center you've got two which explode impossibly high. This comes, I think, from trying to paint from imagination. When you're in a phase of trying to develop and improve, use a reference photograph. This will help you create a believable sea.

Debzy
05-19-2012, 10:26 AM
I also think it is well done for a painting from imagination! I have just finished listening to "Batavia" on audio CD, It's about a shipwreck in case you haven't heard of it, great story of a shipwreck, slavery, murder, mutiny etc, and it is a true story, so your title instantly interested me! I am guessing you aren't going for a true to life picture, but more as Geoff said, to convey the feeling of shipwreck and it does that for me! As you mentioned, you weren't sure how to go with waves and sky etc, so like Bob said it is a good idea to get reference photos of waves to get some ideas of the way they peak and roll and recede. I like the face in front of the ship, is it supposed to be a face? It looks like the head of a Pirate that was perhaps a part of the ship breaking off? Or even a pirate spirit coming up out of the waves? Very Kewl !!!! Anyway, I like that face! It gives the scene character. Good job and welcome to WC, hoping to see more from you. Cheers. Debs. =))

La_
05-19-2012, 01:51 PM
i think it's marvelous
tells a story
shows emotion and power
loose, yes, exaggerated, yes, but it conveys the message well
the bottle, imho, is unnecessary and goes too far

la

dancingleafwoman
05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Love the overall effect but have some questions: are those mountain-y things on the right supposed to be the tops of waves or maybe rocks that the waves are breaking on? Perhaps cause of the wreak? And as mentioned- the bottle. Is it important to you? It kind of detracts from the man which is one point of interest for me.

Jody Schmidt
05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Very berry cool. Agree with La though about the bottle. If I was digitally hep enough, Id show it without it so you could get a sample of the improved simplicity and expressive force this levels up to without the bottle.
That being said, as is, with the bottle, it is still a really nice work, with excellent use of pyramidal shapes to unify the tumult, the dangerous rocks and the shipwreck and its flotsam in the tempest.

CharlotteSuckling
05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I think you're right - and it's quite a brave choice, not to put darks in it. That would be a cliche - a typical storm. The light you've chosen is actually quite unsettling - perhaps more like the calm before/after the storm...
Perhaps what would help in future is more of an expanse of sea, less of a cropped feel as that stop the full drama.

Stemaka
05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Love the overall effect but have some questions: are those mountain-y things on the right supposed to be the tops of waves or maybe rocks that the waves are breaking on? Perhaps cause of the wreak? And as mentioned- the bottle. Is it important to you? It kind of detracts from the man which is one point of interest for me.

Yes they are supposed to be rocks that the waves are crashing onto.:wink2:

AllanFink1960
05-24-2012, 05:50 PM
I like a lot about this painting. But I have a lot to say about it too. If you do an illustrative image like this, sometimes it helps to think like an illustrator. So when you have a STORM, make EVERYTHING convey the storm. For example, your sky is white. If you actually had winds that strong to push up waves like that, your sky would be dark. The wind would push all the waves in the same direction. The sail would be BLOWING in the wind. The mans hair would be blown to one side...You could convey a sense of power and movement by aligning the ship, the waves, the rocks, the man, the bottle along a compositional armature, such as a Z, or maybe a triangle. Your compositional lines are all higgley piggley all over the place, which does present "chaos" but not so much the power of a storm, directed onto a ship, pushing it into the rocks...