PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Faber-castell pastels....

IndigoRed
06-08-2003, 04:28 AM
has anyone used these

FABER-CASTELL GOLDFABER STUDIO PASTELS

if so did ya like,...............yes/no...............jerrysartarma has a big sale on em..........

Thanks.

steph :D

Kathryn Wilson
06-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Do you mean the oil pastels or the soft pastels. I have used their oil pastels and liked working with them, but have nothing to compare them to.

IndigoRed
06-08-2003, 11:47 PM
These are the semi-hard pastels,.............which im assuming no one has used or if they did .................they didnt like them much, but that is ok, jerrysartarama has a sale on the entire set of these for only 20 bux, i think, so its not like a big loss if i dont like them either......;)

Suz
06-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Hi,
I use Faber Castel hard pastels and I love them. They are much like Nupastel, a little smaller. They are excellent and the colors are a good complement to the Nupastels.

Here are a couple of examples from the portrait forum:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112323

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109365

angecald
06-10-2003, 12:29 AM
I have a very old set of Faber-Castell "polychrome" sticks. I've had them for over 20 years, and I always use them to start off a painting and go as far as I can with them.

They're hard but not gritty or anything like that. They're slender so they're easier to manipulate than the soft pastels and they're not so dusty.

Most of the set is still intact, but the colours I use most often are disappearing - sienna, violet, dark green, etc. I've been wondering where I'm going to find replacements as I never see them in the stores around here. Must take a look at Jerry's site. Thanks for letting me know about this.

IndigoRed
06-10-2003, 01:28 AM
Yea Jerrysartarama is good, i have done a complete price list of them, Dickblick, and Misterart.com.........so far jerrys is the cheapest and are having great sells.............i still use ebay alot tho, ive been selling and buying art supplies on there for about 4 years now..........I have decided to just stick to one drawing pastel for the time being Cretacolors..............im going to try my hand at making my own pastels soon, i have about 6 differant recipes lol .......................one is from WC.

i could talk abut pastels forever :rolleyes: but i wont, thank you for the info on the Fabers, i would advice tho if your gonna buy from jerrys, i would do a shipping price comparison with a couple other art supply websites, jerrys tend to be to high, and when i did a comparison on the sale they are having i was saving about only a couple bux after shipping. I have practically written my own book on art supplies and where to find them cheap..........

What can i say i want more bang for my buck ;)

Stephanie W

rd2ruin
06-10-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by srw2034
I have decided to just stick to one drawing pastel for the time being Cretacolors............

Stephanie W

Stephanie, Thanks for letting me know I wasn't the ONLY one using CretaColors. I find them extremely manageable and consistent ... I've used them on canson as well as canvas, and they take a beating, they are nice and solid. Got a set of Senneliers a couple weeks after I got the CretaColors, and I've used them for exactly zero paintings since.

I used to use Nupastels, but got these as an Xmas gift last year. I'd never heard of them, but they've proved to be a worthy successor (as my nupastels are 700 miles away from me, and I was forever whining about it, but that's a different story).

Cheers!
- Greg

IndigoRed
06-10-2003, 02:47 AM
Oh you poor thang! Being so far away from one of the most useful pastels on the market............i love nupastels, they work on just about everything,..............my first love was pastel on Velour,.............which by the way for all you velour lovers out there, Misterart.com is the cheapest they come for this wonderful paper...............I.....sadly.....have not had a chance to try unisons, senneliers , or schmicke............i want to tho :D ......ive heard so many good things about them..............Rowneys are still my fav.....they are like velvety smooth butter on velour.......but alas i missed my opportunity to have by about 120 of them for only 40 bux when i first started buying from ebay.........i had just bought my University Pastel Easel and had no more money for those........sigh.........oh the good ol' days............by the way jerrysartarama is also haveing a sale on nupastels , the entire set i think for 49.99 .................half of what they usually go for.......ok im gonna stop rambling now.........i always do when it comes to talking about pastels ;)

The only reason im on such a big kick about them now is because i had about 3 sets of rembrandts, the entire set of nupastels, a small set of rowneys, and a couple more,........til..................The wonderful Tornados came through oklahoma this year and the brilliant twit that i am , left open my garage window, and i found them the next day along with all my drawing, and pastel paper soaked on my garage floor..................yes i cried.............i even threw a couple of things.............but i am slowly getting over it and the cretacolor set i bought, i just bought today from ebay........"A new beginning"..................And i live in an apartment now, so anytime a tornado comes, guess what i shelter first........LOL.................

Steph

angecald
06-11-2003, 01:04 AM
Ouch, Steph, I wondered if anyone on WC had been affected by those tornadoes. Got you where it hurts, didn't they?

But, then (she sighs compacently from her comfortable chair) worldly goods can always be replaced and it's fun to have an excuse to shop. I hope you were insured?

Of course, I realize it can be hard to come up with the money for new stuff, and heartbreaking to lose a collection built over time. There's always so much more to buy than money to cover it. Right now I want to buy a Julian Easel but I also want a printer that will print my photos, and I would like some of those deluxe pastels too....but the family insists they must eat every single day.

Let us know how you get along if you try making your own. That's something I'd like to try as well. And thanks for the tip about Jerry's shipping. It might be cheaper in the end to get a local store to order them for me.

IndigoRed
06-11-2003, 01:18 AM
Nope no insurance, it was a rental house and the only insured was my car......but ive been through this i dont know how many times since i moved to oklahoma in 96 That huge tornado that came through here a few years ago, well i was right smack dab in the middle of that as well, and well i dont have to tell ya how that went, but luckily no one in my family was hurt just lost lots of "stuff"................but im learning.....my studio isnt just the only thing that could be hazardous......
And when it comes to buying pastels that are not too expensive like the Fabers, Caran d'ache's, etc, yea i think retail is the best way to go.......but when it comes to the big dogs like senneliers, schmickes, unisons , etc, yea bargain buying i be a'doin..........

AAAnd as far as the "making pastels" thing goes, ..........im so happy to announce that it might be better than i thought.........i have a very very supportive aunt who is also a big time artist in Kansas City Mo. who has a friend of a friend lol............anyway.....she called tonight and asked what i would need............so im happy to say...... i might get to do this way sooner than i expected..........i will diffinatly keep ya posted :D

Steph

P.s never need an excuse to shop for art supplies..........being an artist is all the excuse i need ;)