PDA

View Full Version : The Staring Man and the Dead Body

Jody Schmidt
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-18-2012/975201_DSC_0760a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-18-2012/975201_staring_man_and_dead_body_close_up_1.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Staring Man and the Dead Body
Year Created: 2012
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have this compulsion that if I stare too long at a dead body, it will convulse and pop out of its coffin. This was started with that in mind, but didn't quite turn out that way: the staring man is looking at me instead of the body, and the body is just popping up to say wassup. Also, the ghostly apparition on the left is just chilling.

The close up shows the little procession of souls passing above the coffin.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Should I put more background in this, or just leave it as is? Is it cool overall?

reverseengineering
05-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Maybe add a little bit between the man and the coffin but it really isn't necessary. Like you comment about staring at a dead body too long.

Coen1
05-19-2012, 06:11 AM
I like seeing someone paint a statement, though I wouldn't have guessed which one without you telling us. I also guess that's not the point here.
To me, the composition lacks some relation, mainly because everything is placed beside one another, without any overlap.
A willful (hope the word says what I mean:) ) painting in a personal style.

Jody Schmidt
05-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks much for the feedback.

Reverseengineering: Thanks, maybe will add something to unify the elements, but am hedging and have hangups on later changes, but posting stuff here to get criticisms and hopefully get over the hangup and act on them, since they are often very valid.

Coen1: Yeah, no way to tell that backstory from just the painting. And, I like the term 'willful'!

And, who is now a "Senior Member"?! Oh yeah.