PDA

View Full Version : Pen and Colored Ink Questions

SilverFeather
06-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi,
I'm new here and have been drawing in pen and black ink for about 9 years.
I use Koh-i-noor rapidograph pens and Rotring. I usually work with fine nibs; 3x0 and 4x0.

I want to try colored ink but don't know where to start.
Anyone who uses colored ink?
What kind of pen and techniques do you use?

Thanks in advance for any advise/tips/info.

SilverFeather

MonicaB
06-07-2003, 10:40 PM
Hello, fellow Georgian! :D

When I use colored inks, I typically use my technical pens and the acrylic inks. Or a dip pen works well too, esp for small areas where I'm too lazy to face cleaning a technical pen. There are a number of brands of inks out there -- not all of them are both lightfast and waterproof, which is why I've settled on the F&W brand. Some are transparent and some are opaque. Regardless of the type, I've noticed that some inks separate while in the pen, so you need to keep them mixed by gently shaking the pen.

HTH. Welcome to WC!
:D

Jakeally
06-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Hi!....Sorry I can't help with your question but just wanted to say Welcome to Wet Canvas and especially to the pen and ink forum.
Hope to see some of your work soon:D

Katydidit
06-08-2003, 06:21 PM
I just picked up a book called "The Technical Pen", by Gary Simmons. It is a great book and has a section on Color with technical pens.

SilverFeather
06-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info. It's cool to see a fellow Georgian here! I had thought about getting the colored ink for my technical pens and the thought of changing the colors/cleaning had stopped me.

Oh I have that book by Gary Simmons on my shelf somewhere here. I'll have to dig it out and read that section. Thanks for reminding me!

I'll be posting some of my drawings hopefully tomorrow.
I have to figure out how to do it.

SilverFeather:)

prairie painter
06-08-2003, 11:20 PM
I just use a dip pen when I use colored ink. Strathmore or someone makes a fountain pen with different colors of ink in tubes that pop on to it- ever seen those? I'm not describing them very well- they are made for calligraphy, but I've thought that the finest-tip ones might work for drawing...