PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence and Friends

allanom
05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-17-2012/4031_lawrence__WC.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lawrence and Friends
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36 inches x 36 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A recent painting of one of my brothers and a gay couple (friends of his) standing in front of the lake near my country property close to Bancroft, Ontario.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

Coen1
05-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Superior technique! I'm learning by closely watching it. I love the light and shades on it and the coloring.
I could imagine both the sea and air a bit less blue (and wood and mountain less green), to gain even more focus on the subject.
This work shows to me what realistic painting is about.

truarts
05-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Lovely painting but I think you painting can benefit from having darker darks. Right now the whole composition seem to be so bright. Darker darks will provide some contrast. Just my honest opinion.

reverseengineering
05-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Excellent colors. I don't think it needs any darker contrast. Shadow work was great too!

La_
05-18-2012, 02:23 PM
um, allan, you measure, right?
exceptional details/colors, as per usual
but the two left guys heads both seem unusually large?

la

tgsloth
05-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Well this is just crazy good. 36x36, eh? I'm guessing you didn't knock this one out since your last post. The diverse positioning and expression of the figures is superb and you're particularly good with the clothes. Triple wow in that area. You have a signature way to depicting foliage which makes your work immediately recognizable but the true signature is reds in the shadow areas. You ought to patent that. Blue shadows? Just say no.
Crits? I noticed the slightly overlarge heads that LA saw but to me it's just part of the charm. So if I owned the painting, it wouldn't bother me. Jeez Louise, can I find anything. OK, here's nit. Hands are notoriously hard to paint but you nail them with just the right amount of detail. EXCEPT the fingers that peek out from the left side of the central figure. They seem flat and probably look more so in the full size view. So a little detailing. See, it's worth it to post!

greensyster
05-18-2012, 10:05 PM
absoluty marbvellous! always a joy your realist work forground vfoliage looks flat to my eyes on left top. i hate one hnd trfyping. i8 love yr work.

she1122
05-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Center of attention should get the detail and crispness. Everything else should be subordinate and less detailed , otherwise it completes for attention and pulls the viewer's eye away from your main focus. I would think this applies to your values also. I love your realistic portrayals. You just need to decide what is your center of attention.

Debzy
05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Double post sorry, please read next post. :rolleyes:

Debzy
05-19-2012, 10:49 AM
I give it the 100% wow factor too! :D :D Fantastic! My only crit is I guess like the others, they look like real people in a cartoon setting. But hey, thats not a bad thing, I love cartoons and why not! :cat: Only, as 'She" mentioned, the background and midground does take your eye right over the whole setting as almost one tone, except for the people. The equal clarity in detail also contributes to the sameness, having said that though, I can see the guys really well and very clearly :clap: Maybe slightly less green greens and blue blues in nature would complete it a little more realistically. But, well I'm in no place to critique, I couldn't do a triple portrait like this and I just think it is totally excellent!!!! :thumbsup: cheers Debs. p.s. I hope I haven't just created confusion with my post, I am in two minds and it's difficult to explain what I'm thinking..... arghhhh.... :rolleyes: I really think it's very very good. :wave:

AllisonR
05-19-2012, 01:52 PM
wow, wow, wow. I agree with the others about the heads - 1st two have big heads (I know, I have a son with a huge head and it is possible, but looks crazy next to "normal" heads). But it adds character to the painting, all three men are interesting to look at. I think this makes the painting very strong, these three very different guys, with something in common keeping them together in this scene.

IN MY OPINION, everything is too "same colored". I mean all the foliage has the same range of greens - like you made 3 or 4 green overall glazes and then stopped, when it would help to, for example, add some smaller glazes in yellow-brown-green in some areas, and a cooler blue-violet glazes in a few other areas. In order to add less pure, and more contrasting variations that you would see in nature. Same with brown grasses they stand on, and to minor degree to water, and even their clothes. They are missing a bit of dirt.

tgsloth
05-20-2012, 06:34 AM
I'd just like to say that if Allan painted foliage "better", he wouldn't be Allan. It's his entirely original way of simplifying foliage. It's like red shadows.

eyecandy2
05-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Everything said above is right on. You've done a beautiful job even if the foliage isn't quite there. Your painting is so reminiscent of a typical snapshot taken with a camera. The usual group picture when we are out picknicking. I just wonder why you would select such a subject for a 36 x 36oil painting other than to just practice your skills at painting. You could have done this with much less effort with a camera. Just my thinking and maybe I'm off base.

allanom
05-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks to all! Some great crits. For those who know me, I LOVE this kind of high summer colour; and have a penchant for plunking elements in the middle, then relying on the rest of the comp to mitigate the Zen centering. And don't say "should" to me in a crit: rules, to me, "can" be broken at discretion -- part of our "artistic license"..:O)) . I actually did some glazing to push the greens back a bit and give them a warm/cold differentiation. And, just to clarify: this is a man and two women: my brother on the left (he's a smallish man, with a big head, and I realized I went "cartoonish" with him, and loved the result, and left it that way.) And I appreciate the other comments for me to consider. Thanks to old friends for the very kind accolades!

AllanFink1960
05-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Oh this is so delightful. It reminds me of the old posterized silk screen art on seed packets from the 1950s, or the labels on fruit boxes in farming country.

In that way the color scheme is perfect. If that is not what you are looking for, then I would suggest using more complementary colors to darken your body color. And do it in transparent washes or glazes. You are working in oil, so it would be FUN to do. All three guys have nearly the exact same color skin (like they would if it was silk screened.) But if you were doing a realistic rendering that would not be the case. And allison is right the plants look pretty flat.

future
05-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Great Great job Allan such a talent; and i speak from previous and current work; i like the whole feeling of this piece; the only thing i could comment on is the arm of your brother on the left side needs some red tones in it since the head has some; just an observation, either way superb!