PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Lady - Need your advice

artdude
06-07-2003, 10:22 AM
This was done on "Stonehenge Rising" paper. Size is about 9" X 7". Using "Art Advantage" crimson watercolors and a .005 micron pen. The first one is the original as it is. I had scanned it and printed out a copy and added the additional ink lines to the copy I printed out. Wanted to see what it would look like with the additional ink without ruining the original. :)

Which one do you like better? The first or the second?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2003/3698-crimsonwoman1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2003/3698-crimsonwoman2.jpg

PS: Will probably cross-post this in the Figure or Watercolor forums :D:)

Jakeally
06-07-2003, 03:05 PM
I like them both Murray but I keep getting pulled back to number 1.
It just seems to be more spontanious. But then the pen and inker in me comes out and I really love what you have done in the background of No 2.
I think you are getting very much bolder with the watercolour and that is very good. Hopefully they will be able to give you some pointers in that forum.
I think both of them would look fabulous framed:D :clap: :clap: :clap:

jjsangel
06-07-2003, 05:38 PM
I like the first one best Murray. It seems to me that the lines in #2 distract the eye from the figure. Seems to busy (just MHO) In the first one the eye is immediately drawn to her. Seems more dramatic.

slatter
06-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Murray,

I agree with the other comments. I think the first one is better also. There needs to be more contrast between the figure and the background.

Jerry

BTDogMom
06-07-2003, 11:02 PM
I like them both , too, but I like the 1st one more - the focus is more on the girl in the 1st one and though I do like the 2nd one - it looks like she's sitting on wood facing a wood wall - make sense?:clap: :clap:

seejay
06-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Good one Murray.

Out of these two, I also prefer the first one. Maybe the second one has too much added "texture" - have you looked at it with just texture in the bottom bit, for example, or less lines in the top background. I think the first one would improve with something, tho'...

Cheers

artdude
06-08-2003, 09:57 AM
Thank you all for your input on this. The consensus seems to be to stay with the first one. They said the same thing over in the watercolor forum. I think I will go with that and leave the original as is. I would like to get more into color. I have a set of acrylic inks that are begging to be used :) Thanks again for taking the time to comment :D:)

DSPIT
06-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Murray- I agree with the crowd, the additional lines in the second makes it to busy for my eye. But the first looks really good. I like the style and the defined shading. Pretty sharp color.

Bob

06-09-2003, 11:13 AM
I beg to differ; the additional lines in the second give it a more refined and finished look. Rather than distract the eye, they enhance your style. In any case, it looks great!

els
06-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Very good Murray. First one is more spontaneous...

orchid black
06-10-2003, 01:28 AM
I much prefer the first. It has that ethereal almost surreal quality I find myself looking for so much. Though the second is nice, the first is perfect.

artdude
06-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Thanks for commenting Bob, Avatar, els & orchid :D
Looks like the first one is the most popular :) Good thing I left the original like that :D:)

rapolina
06-10-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Avatar
the additional lines in the second give it a more refined and finished look. Rather than distract the eye, they enhance your style.

Atavar could say what i was trying to.
the first one looks a bit unfinished, wheile in the second one there is more style armony.

BTW, beautiful!

ciao, rapolina.:)

sassybird
06-10-2003, 09:07 AM
I like the contrast between the line work in the figure and the soft washes you surround her with. So, #1 it is for me :D