PDA

View Full Version : Another Lost Dam ..

dynacam
06-07-2003, 02:56 AM
The KoroKoro Dam used to provide water to the village of Petone way back ..

Now ducks are its main user

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2003/12798-07Jun03-053f.jpg

Sluice below the dam

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2003/12798-07Jun03-059f.jpg

Ozzie
06-07-2003, 09:31 AM
Gorgeous setting! Now if ya could just talk the ducks over the reeds and cattails, would make a great shot.

Ozzie

Bobby D
06-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Nice photos. That loks like a nice secluded spot for a peaceful afternoon.

AriadneArts
06-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Very nice shots, Dyna, and what a lovely place.

Isn't it amazing how humans build stuff that they insist is absolutely necessary, destroying entire ecosystems in the process and then abandon the entire structure when that becomes convenient? You can call it "another lost dam" and that'd be accurate, but for some (like the ducks) it might be called "another reclaimed area."

Now, I'm certainly not against all dams--they obviously are necessary in many circumstances, but I feel they are so often used as project fodder to further someone's political career/ego, rather than to "help/serve" the people/environments they claim to. (Just my 2 pingins worth.) :D

Oldthumbs
06-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Wow, what a setting. Love the set of little waterfalls from the overflow. What village? Doesn't look like there should be anyone around for miles. :) Is the top photo a little under-saturated in color, or is that the right color - a little on the gray side? Nice pics.

Ray

haggis63
06-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Love the backdrop to the first shot - a great variety of shades, shapes, and textures in those trees. Looks like a very peacful place.

alan

dynacam
06-07-2003, 09:28 PM
In looking at it again it is a little dull, increased the saturation, but do not want to over do it .. maybe it looks a little better but I kinda liked the first one ??
The village was Petone, which is now part of the greater Wellington area ..the dam was built in 1903 to provide water for the area, it stopped being used in 1964 when the weater was declaired unfit for drinking so it served it purpose well for the then growing comunity ..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2003/12798-07Jun03-053f2.jpg

Flehmen
06-08-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by dynacam
In looking at it again it is a little dull, increased the saturation, but do not want to over do it .. maybe it looks a little better but I kinda liked the first one ??

G'day Dynacam,

Looks like a great place to visit, but I think the "dull" comes from the light looking too darn blue?? (I like the blue in the waterfall personally, so am only talking about picture #1) Try sucking some of the blue out of the picture if you can, I think it'll look less "dull" to your eyes. (I personally wouldn't call it dull...) If you have photoshop or paint shop pro 7 I can give you some tips if you like or maybe one of the experts here could help. :)

Was the day you took these pictures overcast?

Flehmen

dynacam
06-08-2003, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the comments .. It was far from being dull in fact it was a real sunny winters day, about 65F.
I think it is something to do with the reflected light and blue sky ..
I use Picture Window Pro to do my post processing so thanks for your offer ..