PDA

View Full Version : studies

redrichie
05-17-2012, 12:07 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-16-2012/1065752_20120511_220925.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-16-2012/1065752_20120516_212048.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: studies
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here are my first ever oil paintings. Red background was first and close up was second.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Interested in an overall critique of the 2. If skillset has progressed.

AllisonR
05-17-2012, 02:44 AM
I really like the first painting. The bold red makes this more interesting than the typical skull painting. I like how you added blacks to the background to compliment the blacks in the skull's eyes and nose. Also well painted.
The second is not my favorite. It has some lovely watercolor-looking effects, which are interesting because it is in oils, but it looks too washed out to me.

Coen1
05-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Your first oilpaintings, but certainly not your first drawing and coloring-experience: it looks far to good! I agree with AllisonR on her comments. Maybe the second work would do better with a more sharp edge on the (green) left side and slightly more contrast. The right side is more convincing, I think.
Over all, very convincing studies.

redrichie
05-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Thank you for your insight. No I'm not new to drawing of color. But I thought it was time to give oils a go. I love them. My new addicition.

Yeah there is something about that second one. I love it and hate it at the same time. I agree on the watercolor looking effect and it wasn't my intention. I was looking for left side to be out of focus but if you think it detracts.

After watching some videos and rreading I think I'm being timid. I feel as though to be cautious and take my time I'm giving way to much time between layers and I may be glazing. I'm still trying to figure out this medium and thinner stuff. LOL

Also in my other art mediums black is an everyday part of life. Not so in oils and that's alien to me. But I think I'm working it out.
Do you recommend pushing this second piece further or cutting losses. I reworked this left area for a few hours getting it to its present state. Not sure if I want to keep at it. Almost like if I would have started it now I may have went about the whole thing different.

Coen1
05-20-2012, 03:52 PM
According to your topictitle, 'studies', I would leave it as it is. Apply 'the-learning-part in a new painting?