Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A recent piece.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

darkwolf29
05-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Overall, I really like this piece.

I do question the darker, possibly shadows? on the ground. I'm just wondering if that is supposed to be just a darker grass, or if that is supposed to be shadows...I can't tell.

I Love the sky, your perspective is great, and the color choices are very dynamic.

La_
05-16-2012, 02:16 PM
beauty!
no crits, even the full central comp works for me
title is misleading, however
taunton town
what kinda tree?

la

AllisonR
05-16-2012, 03:10 PM
A tree with a lot of character, very well painted. Interesting branches. I do not question the ground shadows, I figure it is end of day and the shadows are from other trees on a very gently rolling hill. Although the tree is smack center, it works well. Might be better though if you chop off two thirds of the blue sky. Only crit is that the sky does not look well blended, I see some streaks that do not look cloud or sky like.

crazywoman53
05-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Beautiful tree. The only nit I have is the base of the tree falls on the same line as your backround trees. Perhaps were it passed that line it would help to move it into the foreground a bit more. But still a lovely painting.

tgsloth
05-16-2012, 04:24 PM
What a pleasure it is to see Allan back on the forum. Centered composition eh? How about a square format?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2012/124239-4031_TT_WC.jpg

Coen1
05-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Wonderful painting. A tree telling a story. Great shapes and colors.

allanom
05-16-2012, 04:36 PM
senwiz: It's morning in December up her in Canuckia, so shadows aren't too dramatic. Thanks for the nice words!

Hey La_ Nice to connect again! I was driving on Taunton Road, just north and east of where I live in Ajax, Ontario and saw this tree and, literally, screeched to a halt, jumped out and shot some ref pix with my BlackBerry. And so, the name. After a hot debate on Facebook, we concluded the tree is a type of elm.

Allison: Thank-you, thank-you. Sorry, I'm content with the amount of sky-- that would be personal, I guess... And I'm tending to paint a little looser (after 4 decades!) so am content with some variations in fields of colour.

crazy. Yeah, I can see that being an improvement (the line of the tree base). Maybe....:O) I appreciate the nit crit and the appreciation!

Bob: Ya' know, I'm really doing a lot of square paintings lately and I agree: this would have been a good one for square! Thanks, for the note and welcome back!

Coen1: I love trees with personality. Thanks.

Aires
05-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Trees with character always catch my eye - you certainly snapped a winner!
A square format would have worked well in having the tree slightly off center but I'm not so sure but what this tree doesn't deserve center stage in spite of the nix on centering focal points. Crazy's critique is spot on but it's such an easy fix that it is hardly worth another mention. From one tree admirer to another, thanks for sharing this lovely painting.

kylady
05-18-2012, 05:20 PM
I love old trees and I think this is georgeous. Don't change a thing. Only my opinion.

greensyster
05-18-2012, 10:07 PM
do i want t be there
? yes! best crit i can give.

Debzy
05-19-2012, 11:12 AM
It could be an Aussie outback scene almost? Colours are very outback Australia IMO. Beautiful painting and very serene. =)) Debs.

ahughes798
05-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Wonderful tree...I'd go with it being a Bur Oak. You see them like this around here a lot...one gnarled tree in the middle of the field. I love the light in your painting, and the use of color.

docsaro
05-22-2012, 02:58 AM
Wonderful work.. Lot to learn from this one.. Impressive central composition.. Focus of interest-the tree is a great work of art..

Saravanan

allanom
05-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks so much folks! I really appreciate the wonderful comments here. This has been a "sleeper" painting for me -- in that it's received so much positive feedback for such a simple image.

AllanFink1960
05-24-2012, 06:22 PM
I love this painting.
tgsloth, I would have gone the other way, size wise for composition. Maybe four times WIDER, and put the tree at the first third on the right. But then I favor long thin compositions for landscapes. I went to art school when square was considered out of vogue but that is thankfully all over now, and you can get square format art materials all over the place.
Art is maddeningly subjective.