PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Landscape on Commission - PART 2

LDianeJohnson
05-07-2001, 04:44 PM
Hope you enjoyed the demos on the process of how to paint on commission. If you have any questions or feedback please let me know.

Diane

------------------
L. Diane Johnson (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/) NAPA, PSA
2001/2002 Plein Air Workshops (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/workshops/)

MChesleyJohnson
01-18-2002, 11:36 AM
What a wonderful article, Diane! Having just finished my first commissioned landscape, I can appreciate your efforts. It went well, but I do wish I had come across your piece first.

(IMHO, this would be a good piece for American Artist or Pastel Journal.)

LDianeJohnson
01-18-2002, 11:47 AM
Hi Michael,

So glad you liked the article...appreciate the recommendation to submit to the magazines.

Happy to hear your own commissioned piece went well! I too, wish I had had my article way back when;) It sure takes a long time to learn things like client relations, processes, etc. when out on your own.

Keep up the good work!

Best Regards,
Diane

Mylius
10-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Diane,

Thanks for the wonderful essay with demos. I always find it interesting to see how artists work through a project - particularly at the early stages of establishing the ground and underpainting, and blocking in the painting.

I liked very much the effect of your initial wash with alizarin - I guess you are using acrylics; but do you ever try this in oil? Which raised a question: given the incredibly slow drying time of alizarin, do you or would you use something other than turpentine to dilute it for the wash?

Regards,

Richard

LDianeJohnson
10-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Dear Richard,

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Commission feature article. In answer to your question about the Alizarin. The painting was done in Acrylic so there was no real issue with the paint dry time. I control areas that I want to keep wet with water mixed with a touch of retarder to achieve a more oil-painting look. Those areas I want to rework, I let dry then go over.

But I did learn something from you. As both an oil and acrylic painter, I did not realize that Alizarin had a longer curing time. Thanks for your message and for taking the time to write!

All the Best,
Diane

Mylius
10-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Dear Diane,

Thanks for the reply. Your comment about using retardants and water to effect a more oil-like appearance is interesting - and it clearly works, as far as the photos show. Contrasting oils and acrylics could be another good topic!

You might be interested in Maria Bazzi, The Artist's Methods and Materials (N.Y.: Pitman, 1960), pp. 152-153, where she offers a listing of paints by drying speed, with umbers and Prussian blue as the fastest, Ultramarine, Alizarin, Ivory Black and others on the slow side. My own experience has made me disagree about a few pigments (perhaps due to different brands) - I find that Yellow Ochre dries faster than Bazzi indicates and Alizarin even slower. But the basic outline is helpful and can be tested against one's own paints. Most useful to me has been the rapid drying time of umbers and Prussian Blue, including the increase given to the drying time of other pigments when mixed with either.

Regards,

Richard

cookiem
10-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi all,

I normally reside over in the Acrylic forum, but have decided to drop in to absorb some wonder here, as I have been asked to do a landscape...commissioned shall we say.

In my wanders I found this thread, however can't find Part 1....given the wonderful feedback I would love to have a read before I start. I have searched fruitlessly, and wondered if someone could help point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much :D

Cath

Katherine T
10-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Well I finally found something here on her website - called Painting a Landscape on Commission Part 1 http://www.ldianejohnson.com/articles/commission_demo1/index.html

but I have to say I'm puzzled as there seems to be rather more about checking out the clients' decorative interior and how to draw columns then there is about painting a landscape. In fact it seems to be more like how to do a mural which is a landscape.

Part 2 is here http://www.ldianejohnson.com/articles/commission_demo2/index.html

I guess my concept of painting a landscape on commission was a bit different.......but then the domestic house in England doesn't tend to go in for that sort of approach whereas I guess that might be more common in the USA?:confused: