PDA

View Full Version : Shiny impulse item

Petdevils
06-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi all,

I love all the photo's n stuff you guys take. My dad's an ex pro-photographer so i really should learn about all that stuff eventually. But for now this is my first post in this forum, however it's not actually a photo.... it's a scan... hope i'm not excommunicated for this fact.

It's a scan of the bottom of a large can of fixative that was empty... i was gonna throw it out but decided to tear the paper off it.... it's a relaly nice tall shiny metal column and i keep it on my computer desk next to some cds just cause i like the look and the way it reflects light and warps whatever is sitting near it.

So yeah this is a scan underneath, personally i find it quite beautiful the detail found there.. i had no idea it was so lovely. Anyhoo, hope it's ok for me to post my scans.... if not apologies ... bye.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2003/16708-frombelow.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2003/16708-frombelow2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2003/16708-frombelow3.jpg

thanks for looking

SunnyJon
06-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Well it's not a photo but I don't know. I know I like it-super abstract!:D :cool: :clap: :clap:

E-J
06-06-2003, 07:23 PM
The first one looks like some kind of eclipse, and I love the patterns and colours in the second one and the textures in the extreme close-up. They're cool :)

Petdevils
06-07-2003, 12:38 AM
thanks u two, glad u liked something in it, im just happy no ones kicked me out yet ;)

geckonia
06-07-2003, 01:09 AM
Scanners uses a CCD just like a digicam, don't they? I think it's a photo... I also think it's way cool. Next time make us guess what it is you scanned, ok? That's kind of an on-going game we like to play. :D

Petdevils
06-07-2003, 03:32 AM
hi Geckonia,

thanks mate, don't know if i can find anything as interesting as this to scan but if i do i'll let people guess first... bye ;)

Oldthumbs
06-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Very interesting idea, PD. Just do us a favor and don't put your can on that scanner. :evil:

Bobby D
06-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Interesting thread and, if my memory serves me correctly it's not the first time a scanner picture has been posted here. I see no reason to kick you out. :evil: I think you will find that any flower that can be laid flat can be scanned with some amazing results.

Petdevils
06-08-2003, 01:49 AM
lol nice pun ot, don't worry i'm not that shameless

hi BobbyD - yeah i guess that means i can stay for a bit, thanks for the tip about the flowers... im keen to try that but will prolly put down an oht first, don't want to dirty the glass on my dads $1000 dollar scanner ;)

Crias
06-08-2003, 01:53 AM
There was a project called scanography (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=198) that was exactly this concept! There were some neat things that came out of the project. Welcome to the darkroom.

Petdevils
06-08-2003, 01:57 AM
G'day Crias,

Thanks for the link mate, it's in my favourites now and will have a good thorough read. bye.

harmony
06-09-2003, 10:28 PM
What a cool idea PD, scanning the bottom of the can. I love the way this looks. The colours are awsome. Not quite a photo but an interesting concept. I never thought of scanning anything other than paper lol Very imaginative.

wandathefish
06-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Very Cool, I like:D

jsr88
06-10-2003, 12:04 AM
PD...it might not be a photo specifically from a box we call a camera. But it is a PICTURE! and it's one that I can see whatever I choose to see in it. I choose to see something very beautiful. I'm especially intrigued with the first one. It reminds me of a poem I wrote many years ago. It was called "Meridia" and dealt with the instant in time when one day ends before the next begins. A place where the mind is free...Yep! That's what I see in it. :)

Glad you posted!
:clap: :) :clap:

Petdevils
06-10-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by harmony
What a cool idea PD, scanning the bottom of the can. I love the way this looks. The colours are awsome. Not quite a photo but an interesting concept. I never thought of scanning anything other than paper lol Very imaginative.

hullo holly,

think outside the box my friend, stuffs always much more interesing on the otherside! bye.

Petdevils
06-10-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by wandathefish
Very Cool, I like:D

thanks wanda :)

Petdevils
06-10-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by jsr88
PD...it might not be a photo specifically from a box we call a camera. But it is a PICTURE! and it's one that I can see whatever I choose to see in it. I choose to see something very beautiful. I'm especially intrigued with the first one. It reminds me of a poem I wrote many years ago. It was called "Meridia" and dealt with the instant in time when one day ends before the next begins. A place where the mind is free...Yep! That's what I see in it. :)

Glad you posted!
:clap: :) :clap:

hi, thanks for your comments always interesting to hear what people think about when seein ones work. Can u post hte poem for us to read? nice idea about the transition of days. The scans do have an equinoxy feel or something for me too. you should read into einsteins theory of relativity/special relativity.. time dilation and stuff like that as well as quantum theory and and uncertainty...... will make u think differntly about time and whether or not it exists as u think it does etc. all just a human artifice.... but interesting to ponder :) thanks for dropping bye :)

jsr88
06-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Petdevils

hi, thanks for your comments always interesting to hear what people think about when seein ones work. Can u post hte poem for us to read? nice idea about the transition of days. The scans do have an equinoxy feel or something for me too. you should read into einsteins theory of relativity/special relativity.. time dilation and stuff like that as well as quantum theory and and uncertainty...... will make u think differntly about time and whether or not it exists as u think it does etc. all just a human artifice.... but interesting to ponder :) thanks for dropping bye :)

Thanks for the comment on the poetry, but even if my life depended on it, in the middle of moving (as we are now), I couldn't find it.

As to your suggestion of reading up on Einstein's theory...I'd need an interpreter! :D :D

Petdevils
06-10-2003, 11:30 AM
nah man its not that complicated, doesn't have to be, start with a general history of the universe micro to macro to uber and go from there. Here are some books that are great.. the first one at the very least all people will love and will change how they see EVERYTHING... easily understandable.. theother two are similar.. written for non science geeks to understand but still substantial enough for them too.

John Gribbin's "Almost Everyone's Guide to Science"
Paul Davies' "How to Build a Time Machine"
John Barrow "The Universe that Discovered Itself"

there is always something to learn, don't stop asking that question "why?"