PDA

View Full Version : Soldier - Finished

christmascarolnz
06-06-2003, 02:35 AM
Hi there. I have finally finished my soldier painting after a couple of months.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Carol
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2003/4807-finished_soldier.jpg

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2003, 03:04 AM
This is so beautifully done I feel my words are inadequate. This piece really should be on display. Find a show and enter it.

soap
06-06-2003, 03:16 AM
Totally agree with the above.
It is a real beauty and needs to be seen

Dark_Shades
06-06-2003, 04:01 AM
Echoing the others

:clap:

..... the painting and subject is very different, and original ............

brilliant beautiful work

Smudger
06-06-2003, 04:05 AM
I agree...frame it...enter it:clap:

christmascarolnz
06-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Hi guys. Thanks for your support. I am putting it into our Pastel Society's competition at the end of the month, which is an in-house thing and not public.
I am still emailing and STILL waiting for a reply from the source of the photo.
I painted it for myself, really, but I didn't really think it would mean anything to anyone else. The soldier touched my heart and I admit to keeping an eye on the casualties to make sure he isn't listed.
Cheers,
Carol

Luzie
06-06-2003, 09:33 AM
Absolutely amazing! Great work! I am sitting here wondering if he is kissing the letter before he sends it off to his girl or if he has just received it and is smelling her perfume on the envelope...
wonderful piece.

BTDogMom
06-06-2003, 03:16 PM
WOW! It's gorgeous and emotional - EXCELLENT EXCELLENT work! BRAVO!:clap: :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
06-06-2003, 03:26 PM
Just superb Carol -now thats what I call a painting !!!!!!!!!!!!! So stirring!!!!!!!

umm -on a lighter note I couldn't help that song 'Dear John' popping into my head-remember that ad?????

christmascarolnz
06-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi Luzie - he's sniffing it as he caught a whiff of perfume. It's from his wife. I thought it was such a tender moment and it's like he's not quite 'there' in the desert, but back home. - if you know what I mean. Such homesickness and longing.
BTDoggieMum - thank you!
Trish - Yeah, I remember the ad. (for TEAC cassette tapes) - so did someone else I showed it to. I guess you could interpret it either way. It just seems so sad.
Do you artists ever feel yourself getting 'attached' to your subjects in the paintings even if they are from a photo? I've found that a few times now - even the S.P.C.A. dog I painted.
An emotional bond.
Thanks
Carol

Mo.
06-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by christmascarolnz

Do you artists ever feel yourself getting 'attached' to your subjects in the paintings even if they are from a photo? I've found that a few times now - even the S.P.C.A. dog I painted.
An emotional bond.
Thanks
Carol

Hi Carol, I find this particular painting heart rending, you have caught a moment in time so beautifully ~ if only you could trace this man ~ I'm sure he would love to have your painting.

Your skills are truly remarkable.

Yes I do sometimes become 'attached' to the subject I'm painting, but only whilst painting it ~ once I've finished I lose interest, put it away and start on something else.

Cheers,
Mo.

Artaholic
06-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Carol you have done a superb painting. I hope you get a reply from the photo source soon. Good luck on the competition.

Gerry

Craig Houghton
06-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Absolutely incredible! Thank you for posting the finished piece! It's stunning.

-Craig :clap:

Teddy Bear
06-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Hi Carol. That's incredible -- what more can I say, I'm speechless.

Lee :) :) :)

angeline
06-07-2003, 03:11 AM
Having had my father in the forces and now my brother.......this picture just ozzes emotion for me........it's wonderful stuff and you have to get it out there!

Dark_Shades
06-07-2003, 04:55 AM
An emotional bond.
Thanks
Carol

I have........ sold a painting of a Shar-Pei, felt so quilty lolol ...... but it went to a VERY good home, and the painting meant alot to the family, so dont feel quite so bad ......... the other is the painting which is my Tiny Head ....... am attached to that lol

christmascarolnz
06-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Jerry, Craig & Lee - thanks for checking it out and commenting. I appreciate it.
Mo, I get the same way with my subjects but for a while the 'relationship' can be pretty intense:p
Angeline - I wanted to portray the sensitive side of the soldiers rather than the macho men who are subjects of some movies. It must be pretty horrible for the guys facing such uncertainty...the photo for this was taken at the beginning of the war in Iraq, I think. I hope your brother is safe on home soil.
Dark Shades - wow - you painted a sharpei? All those wrinkles...you should come and paint the 'grubby farmers' that I have to put fake wrinkles on tomorrow for our homeschoolers' production. If you leave now, you might just make it here in time!:D
Cheers,
Carol

Lulu
06-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Carol, this is beautiful, and very moving.
You've got wonderful detail in it, without taking away the mood.

When is the competition? have mislaid my newsletter ........
Good luck!

christmascarolnz
06-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi Lulu. It's the Autumn competition with a meeting on the last day of this month....30 June at 7pm. One painting each.
Have a great day.
Carol

mhimeswc
06-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Wonderful painting! And such an interesting and emotional subject. I hope it does well in your show.

Michelle

pampe
06-07-2003, 08:45 PM
WOW

*speechless*

(very unusual for pampe)

fugitive
06-11-2003, 11:41 AM
This is reallly good, I like. I tried oil pastels a long time ago, and didn't do to well. Now, with digital, things are different, but I can appreciate the work that went into this piece.

Kathryn Wilson
06-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Carol

Carol: This is an incredible piece of work - you should be proud of this painting. My oldest son was in the Gulf War and this brings back many memories.

And, no, I didn't get attached to my mailbox. LOL

:cat:

christmascarolnz
06-12-2003, 05:54 AM
Hi there fugitive and kat. Thanks for taking a look at my painting.
I'm really pleased with this one.
Cheers,
Carol

crumbedbrains
06-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Great work Carol!!!
I particularly like the close crop . . really brings you into the image . . up close and personal so to speak. Like it!
Crumby
:)

crumbedbrains
06-12-2003, 07:45 AM
Great work Carol!!!
I particularly like the close crop . . really brings you into the image . . up close and personal so to speak. Like it!
Crumby

christmascarolnz
06-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Thanks crumby. Thanks crumby.:D
I cannot take credit for the cropping as it was the way the photo was. I am still to look and learn about zooming into pics and stuff. I shall have a go now.
...still waiting for the folk to email me about the permission...it's rather frustrating to say the least.
Cheers,
Carol

amanda
06-24-2003, 08:39 AM
how can I comment on this picture. It's very emotional and pretty much perfect all the way, thank you for showing us and for doing it too.

Dyin
06-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Oh, Carol....you did a BEAUTIFUL job on this!!! I'm impressed with many things...the details add to it without pulling your interest away, you did the semi-transparency of the tent so well, the colors are great...superb job!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rosic
06-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Simply beautiful... in execution and content. Seldom are we able to capture a moment in time that speaks so strongly... you have done that here. I hope he returns safely home to his wife soon.
Rosic

christmascarolnz
06-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Thank you Amanda, Rosic & Dyin. I like to paint subjects that pull at my heart and this one certainly did. It makes it more worthwhile to paint.
An update on the permission issue - I finally rec'd an email from a NZ agent for the photo, which was forwarded from the US office. It's not cheap, and hubby can't understand why I have to pay at all...but I wish to keep myself correct with paintings that I wish to exhibit. - and that is the limit I am going to pay on the license - artistic rendering and exhibition only. If I wish to sell it I would have to pay much more. I am certainly learning my lesson about using other folk's images.
I am definately saving for a digital camera.
Cheers,
Carol

stephie6102
07-01-2003, 02:07 PM
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS MY HUSBAND!!! I was just sitting here messing around on the computer and went to google.com and typed in "picture of soldier smelling envelope", just wondering what would happen...and this was the first thing to come up.

I can't believe that someone actually took the time to sit down and draw/paint this! It is amazing! I'm still in shock that I found this, I just don't know what to say! Thank you sooo much for doing this, it TRULY made my day to see this today!!! Carol - I hope to hear from you soon!!! You did an outstanding job! It looks just like him <-- it looks just like the picture -- of him smelling my letter!!! How sweet is that!!! How EXCITING!!!!!!

soap
07-01-2003, 02:12 PM
OMG - this is soo great! Isn't the internet useful?!

stephie6102
07-01-2003, 02:27 PM
Hi - it's just me again... I wanted to post the story that was in the papers about that picture....you see...my husband is SO sweet!! I love him dearly and can't wait until he returns home safe to me!!! Here is the story :

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

NEAR KARBALA, Iraq (AP) — The magic words first came on the battalion's radio network: "Mail is ready for pickup."

The surprise delivery, brought from Kuwait by cargo truck, sparked excitement around the unit, and a few happy tears.

Spc. Luke Edwards of Raleigh, N.C., inhaled deeply the perfumed scent of an envelope holding a letter from his wife. Then he ripped into it with an ear-to-ear grin.

"She joined a gym behind my mom's work, she got a better job," said Edwards, 22, as he voraciously read the letter. "Nothing could be better right now. This is the closest thing to going home."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

That's the part that was about him! And let me tell you - that picture came on the perfect day...I had heard about some soldiers w/ the 3rd ID getting killed by a suicide bomber that day - and then we saw his picture later that day - I knew God was letting me know that he was okay!

stephie6102
07-01-2003, 02:34 PM
The internet is VERY helpful!!! I'm soooo happy I found this!!!!!!

Dyin
07-01-2003, 03:39 PM
awwww.... this is a story all in itself!!!! How so very cool!!! Yay, Carol...look at the wonderful thing you have done...acheived a great painting AND made a whole bunch of us feel like we went to a tearjerker movie!!!

christmascarolnz
07-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Wow! I am blown away by this. I was going to start checking around and try to find Stephanie's address to be able to contact her and then Scott sent me a couple of emails that were sent to him from Stephanie and her aunty.
I have spoken to both of them - it's all very exciting.
I went dancing around the lounge singing "I'm so excited, I just can't hide it..."
By the way - I achieved third place with the painting at the Pastel Assn. I was rapt.
I have been blessed out of my sox by all of this. God certainly has his hand on the situation.
...pass me a tissue please Dyin - I think I've got something in my eye! ;)
Cheers,
Carol

Dyin
07-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Congrats on your placing in the show!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

stephie6102
07-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Yes -- congrats on your placing in the show carol!!! It was so great to talk to you!!!

fugitive
07-01-2003, 08:02 PM
I didn't need a hankey, but it's still one of best threads ever, because of what happened. Also, congrats on your award.:cat:

Kathryn Wilson
07-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Stephanie and Carol: OMG!!! How bizarre and wonderful for the two of you to find each other. Listen, it was meant to be for some reason.

On top of that, I have been following this thread since Carol put the painting up - guess what, I live in Raleigh. OMG.

stephie6102
07-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Wow - it's a small world!!!! I definitely believe there is a reason that we found each other :-)

Smudger
07-02-2003, 10:40 AM
Wow! i'm speechless, you two HAVE to meet:crying:

E-J
07-02-2003, 10:55 AM
WOW :)

Mo.
07-02-2003, 06:17 PM
What an amazing true story... This is so wonderful!

Congratulations on you well deserved award.. should have got a first though. :clap:

Cheers,
Mo

christmascarolnz
07-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone...I am continuing to being blessed out of my sox over this. As I've told Stephanie that I had asked God what this artistic ability meant and what was the point if I couldn't sell any work...and here with Stephanie is my answer!
I'm taking the painting to church on Sunday and am going to ask the folk to pray for this couple and others 'out there'.
Can anyone give me any advice on how I could package this painting up to send it to her? It is approx. 24 x 22 inches and I refuse to use a fixative on it.
Or would it be wiser to get a print of it and post the print?
Cheers,
Carol

fugitive
07-03-2003, 09:12 PM
First, I would use a coating. 2. I would scan, and give away/sell prints, only. Hang on to the original for the grand kids.

soap
07-04-2003, 03:15 AM
I just love this true tearjearker story!
Are you going to send it framed or unframed? If framed, just use a load of bubblewrap and a sturdy box.
Unframed.....do a search, or look in the hall of fame, this point has been dealt with, but I forgot where and what it said. Something with layering foam.......

christmascarolnz
07-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Thanks soap & fugitive for your replies. I don't believe the painting is for me to keep or sell. I cannot make prints to sell it as the license I am buying is a personal use one and exhibit but no selling.
It will be unframed as I could not afford to post it that way and here frames are humungously expensive. The frames I'm going to buy are going to have clips in the back so I can swap paintings around for exhibitions!
I will do a search on the postage thing....thanks.
Carol

Artaholic
07-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Carol what a great God to open up this friendship for you!! I think your painting is wonderful and there would be a lot of people who would purchase a poster of it if you were to want to sell those, but I understand what you are saying.
I think if you put some glassene over it or tracing paper and then wrap in something that it would mail fine . I have an artist friend that ships her pastels often and seems to have good luck that way.

Gerry

Emilia
07-17-2003, 11:11 PM
I came across this thread by going in to your profile because I was reading that you have painted a soldier and how great it was. I am glad I found this.
Carol you have done a great painting and what a story by finding the wife or rather she found you. It's great that you will be giving her this painting. God will bless you for it.

I will also suggest to all of the readers in this forum to vote/rate on this thread excellent.

What a story. Congratulations.

P.S . Oh yes, You should have won first place!!!:)

Deborah Secor
07-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Would you mind if I shared your painting with a friend of mine whose husband is still in Iraq after 9 months? I know she would be very moved by your painting, as I am. Thanks for showing it.

christmascarolnz
07-18-2003, 01:51 AM
Hi Emilia. Gosh, I am humbled by what you wrote. Thank you.
The story continues for Stephanie and Luke as he is still in Iraq. It must be so very distressing for the families...and especially the children who's fathers/mothers are in Iraq in such a hostile environment. To be told the soldiers are on their way home and to have it cancelled over and over by the powers that be must be soul destroying. I can only imagine.
Dee, as far as I'm concerned you are most welcome to share it with your friend. I pray she will be blessed by it. I know I have been. Please pass on my best wishes for her. I wouldn't mind being able to email her if that is ok with you.
Gerry - where would a person buy glassene paper from? Is it transparent, thin, thick, expensive???? I've never heard of it.
Thanks for your help.
Carol

Madder
07-18-2003, 04:04 AM
Wow, I didn't know about this story yet.
Please, someone put it in the Hall of Fame?!!!
Madder

stephie6102
07-18-2003, 08:25 AM
I know that God is working in our lives.... Luke still isn't home, don't know when he'll be home, and I haven't talked to him in a little over two weeks. I pray that he is okay - but I know that God is with him. And God is with me - and we'll make it through this difficult time, once again with him being extended "indefinitely".... at least this time we don't have a date to get our hopes up to (yet)! I am glad this story can touch people's lives.... I know that it has truly touched mine, and I can't wait until Luke finally knows about it as well. Take care - and God bless!

MarciaJane
07-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Wow Carol ..... a truly wonderful painting !!

What an amazing thing to happen on here ....... that this should be Steph's husband ........ its unbelievable !!!

Well Carol you should be so proud of this painting, and Steph I hope your husband is soon home safe with you again !!

Marcia

angeline
07-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Oh wow i nearly missed all the new developments!
This is so touching!
My father and brother have both served in the forces ......my brother still does . It's the worst feeling when they are sent to a 'fighting' zone. This picture has always pulled at my heart strings .......but now i find it gives me a little smile too!
Well done again on such a wonderful work Carol.

christmascarolnz
07-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Hi Marcia and Angeline. Thanks for your support and encouragement with this. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but when I painted the muslem women I prayed for them knowing that they wouldn't ever really realize that someone on the other side of the world cared about them. With this painting it is a real blessing to have come to know Stephanie and to have her know that I care (and many others in our church now).
Keeps your faith vitalized. Just like when I pick up a bird or rabbit that has been hit on the road...I can pray my heart out and they still die, but now and then God shows me he hears me and the animal may live...but I still know he heard me when I prayed for the others. Faith - it's such a powerful gift.
Stephanie, some time if you feel it appropriate, or you want to share...would you mind putting a photo of the two of you in this thread? Or may I?
Such a lovely couple.
Carol

Deborah Secor
07-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Carol, I've shipped unframed pastels pretty successfully--even internationally. I bang my painting thoroughly to get the excess pastel dust off, then tape it securely to a piece of foam board, leaving a border of 3 inches all around. Then I tape a second piece of the same board over the top of it and tightly tape all the edges down. I reinforce this with more layers of foam board, front and back, all taped together. Then I wrap the foam board package in layers and layers and layers of bubble wrap, place that in a sturdy cardboard box and ship it off. It's lightweight and pretty safe.

Don't do what I did once and forget to sign it! That unwapping is something you don't want to have to do, trust me, let alone rewrapping...

God bless you both, Carol and Stephanie. He is a powerful God who loves us mightily. Seeing His hand at work like this is such a joy!

Emilia
07-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Hi Emilia. Gosh, I am humbled by what you wrote. Thank you.
The story continues for Stephanie and Luke as he is still in Iraq. It must be so very distressing for the families...and especially the children who's fathers/mothers are in Iraq in such a hostile environment. To be told the soldiers are on their way home and to have it cancelled over and over by the powers that be must be soul destroying. I can only imagine.
Dee, as far as I'm concerned you are most welcome to share it with your friend. I pray she will be blessed by it. I know I have been. Please pass on my best wishes for her. I wouldn't mind being able to email her if that is ok with you.
Gerry - where would a person buy glassene paper from? Is it transparent, thin, thick, expensive???? I've never heard of it.
Thanks for your help.
Carol
Carol you are very welcome. Good luck to you and everyone that shares thisthread.

Emilia
07-20-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by stephie6102
I know that God is working in our lives.... Luke still isn't home, don't know when he'll be home, and I haven't talked to him in a little over two weeks. I pray that he is okay - but I know that God is with him. And God is with me - and we'll make it through this difficult time, once again with him being extended "indefinitely".... at least this time we don't have a date to get our hopes up to (yet)! I am glad this story can touch people's lives.... I know that it has truly touched mine, and I can't wait until Luke finally knows about it as well. Take care - and God bless!

When you talk to Luke next time, please tell him that we all pray for him and all of our brave servicemen. Ask him to tell this to all service men that we care.

christmascarolnz
07-20-2003, 01:37 AM
Hi again. Stephanie gave me her permission to post their photo here for you and says it may make it more 'real'. Being a visual person I understand that and showed the folk in our church as well when I told the story.
Carol
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2003/4807-Stephanie_&_Luke.jpg

christmascarolnz
07-20-2003, 01:46 AM
hmmm Would someone with the know-how change that url into an image for me please? I'm having trouble with the uploader - or it's having trouble with me!:angel:
Thanks,
Carol

Deborah Secor
07-20-2003, 03:29 PM
Sure, here ya go...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2003/23609-Stephanie_&_Luke.jpg

Mo.
07-20-2003, 10:07 PM
hmmm Would someone with the know-how change that url into an image for me please? I'm having trouble with the uploader - or it's having trouble with me!:angel:
Thanks,
Carol

Here you go Carol :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2003/5154-stephandluke.jpg

Cheers,
Mo.

Deborah Secor
07-20-2003, 10:59 PM
:o

LOL This old dog needs to learn a few new tricks!

Nori
07-21-2003, 11:13 AM
First of all I am really impressed by your talent and choice of subject matter.

I was so moved by this thread that I have shared it with a number on non WCers and it has given everyone chills.

Maybe I am wrong but I think the thread should be saved somehow as it shows so perfectly how art connects us to people in such wonderful ways. There is the joy of discovering a subject, planning and doing the piece, and the amazing moment when it connects with another's heart.

christmascarolnz
07-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Hi Dee - (Heidi :D ) My attempt at the old trick failed this time as well - we have our 'off' days... I'm rapt that you would try for me.
Mo, thank you very much for helping me out. Much appreciated.
Nori, thank you for your complements. I am continually blessed by what has happened thru this painting. Especially so since being able to be in contact with Stephanie and her family.
Regards,
Carol

stephie6102
07-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that Luke called this weekend and he's doing well. He's ready to come home, and we sure are all ready for him to! I talked to him for the first time about Carol's painting and all. We find it so encouraging to know that people from all over the world have been touched by this picture and decided to pray for him because of it. I know that Luke has been protected through so many things because of prayer - and who knows...someone elses prayer on the other side of the world probably helped him out sometime when I was sleeping and couldn't pray for him. We have been truly blessed so many times, and I'm so looking forward to the day that he can come home and see just what a blessing he has been to so many people - just for being the sweet guy that he is and smelling the letters that I send him :-) He's the absolute best husband and friend that I could ever ask for - and it's going to be so fun to tell our kids about all this stuff one day!! I'm looking forward to his return and when we can start our lives together again!! Thank you all so much for the prayers - they help more than you'll ever know. God bless you all!!!

CBruce
07-23-2003, 01:04 AM
What a wonderful painting. Your attention to detail and ability to draw the viewer into the emotions portrayed....very nice.

christmascarolnz
07-23-2003, 01:25 AM
Emilia - I'd like you to know I wrote what you said in a card to Luke yesterday. I'm sure he'll be encouraged.

Stephanie - isn't God good??? I like what you said about when one is asleep the other prays. Very much Ecclesiastes.

CBruce - Thank you for looking. I am a perfectionist at heart and sometimes my own worst enemy. I have learnt now not to point out my mistakes to anyone that I may see in my work...call it my 'humanity' part or whatever, like when the quiltmakers place a block upside down.

Carol

javismiles
07-26-2003, 07:46 AM
fantastic work :) your technical skills are awesome, the topic , the composition are very interesting, it transmits a message, communicates something, its art :)

Minoux
07-26-2003, 11:00 AM
This is just a wonderful painting. It really touches your heart to see something like this.

God Bless our troops!

lyn lynch
08-04-2003, 02:26 AM
Yes, God Bless and Protect our Troops.

What an amazing piece of art! I'm so bowled over by your skill w/portraiture. Beautiful!!!

How lovely that Steph found this and now, by your benevolence, will be the recipient of this piece--to have forever. He is, indeed, a lovely man--what a blessing in itself.

I got a tear...

christmascarolnz
08-04-2003, 03:07 AM
Thanks Fookie, Minnoux and Javi. You wouldn't believe how much this painting has blessed me.
... And the story goes on for Luke and Stephanie - it seems as though Luke is on his way home this week. I can only imagine what all the families go through as they wait for their loved ones.
Please keep praying for all involved. Our prayers do not go unanswered.
Carol

Teddy Bear
08-04-2003, 03:41 AM
Hi Carol. Just rechecked on your thread to see how it was going, and what a wonderful surprise. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes after reading what has come about through your tremendous painting.

My very best wishes to Stephanie and Luke and may you both be together again soon.

Lee :)

stephie6102
08-04-2003, 08:33 AM
Thanks everyone ~ especially you Carol!!! Luke IS on his way home and I'll be seeing him sometime by the end of the week........my dream is really coming true! I can't believe it - I'm SO excited, and I can't wait to show him this page with all these people talking about him!! I LOVE THAT GUY!! Thanks all for the prayers :-)
~Stephaine

Kathryn Wilson
08-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Hi Stephanie: That is wonderful news that Luke is coming home at last! I am sure it is going to be quite a homecoming and my best wishes to you both!

Kathryn Wilson
Raleigh, NC

JustjoGA
08-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Hello and God Bless, Stephanie, Luke and ChristmasCarol who made it all happen.... His mysterious ways always seem to surprise and astound us.... This is truly joyous for all of us to know that Luke is on his way home as we read/write here....
I had the same inner response as the others when I saw the painting....

Jo Evans
Sautee, GA (north Georgia)

Dark_Shades
08-04-2003, 12:03 PM
OMG!! Christmas.......... I can not believe the outcome of this story....... how utterly thrilling for all concerned...... and what a marvellous end

Congrats to all

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Shirley C.
08-04-2003, 01:28 PM
carol!! your work is wonderful - this painting really moved me. and that was before i read the whole thread - wow! this one stopped me in my tracks!

stephanie, much happiness to you and luke - i'm so glad he's coming home!!

Gilberte
08-04-2003, 03:28 PM
I was referred to this thread by a post in the Café Guerbois.

Congratulations on your painting !

Mo.
08-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Carol.... A wonderful exciting and happy conclusion to the most amazing story I have ever read here, I wish every happiness to Stephanie and Luke, also to you Carol for bringing this to us all.... bless you all.

Mo.

paintergirl
08-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Whew, dabbing my eyes here...
That was a beautiful portrait/tribute for this couple Carol... how stirring it is...beautiful ...a gift to us all, Stephanie and Luke and all of us that have had the opportunity to view this ...my sincere thanks for making this day a better one.

Stephanie and Luke, I am so pleased you will be re-united! My hugs and best wishes to you both! :D My prayers have been with all the troops in recent months...

I am married 18 years to a military man ( just returned from overseas in April) We both wish you well and a safe happy homecoming!

Emilia
08-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Welcome home Luke!!! God bless you two and God Bless all our service men.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations again Carol and God Bless you too and everyone in this forum....

What a nice bunch of people!!! If everyone in this world be like this we would not need any wars.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, LAND OF THE FREE.

christmascarolnz
08-04-2003, 08:45 PM
GOD BLESS AMERICA
..and New Zealand!
..and England and all the countries represented in this thread.
But also may God bless the folk in Iraq who have to sift through shattered lives - may they have a wholesome vision and future.
Carol

Emilia
08-04-2003, 09:13 PM

..and New Zealand!
..and England and all the countries represented in this thread.
But also may God bless the folk in Iraq who have to sift through shattered lives - may they have a wholesome vision and future.
Carol

AMEN

Deborah Secor
08-04-2003, 11:51 PM
What a wonderful testimony to how God uses all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes. I love that Carol was obedient and faithful, that Stephanie searched and found--and that Luke is honorably serving. (And that all the delightful people here have been so thrilled, so involved and supportive.)

Stephanie, how wonderful that you'll soon be with your husband again! And a special thanks to Luke when he reads this, too!
Everyone who is serving our country in the military is a hero to me. God bless you in the future.

I pray all our servicemen will return home soon but I also trust God for His perfect timing. I add my amen to your prayer, Carol, for this war-torn country. May all be blessed.

Teddy Bear
08-05-2003, 12:26 AM
Wonderful news Stephanie and Luke :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lee

Lulu
08-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by dee_artist
What a wonderful testimony to how God uses all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes. I love that Carol was obedient and faithful, that Stephanie searched and found--and that Luke is honorably serving. (And that all the delightful people here have been so thrilled, so involved and supportive.)

Yes, indeed. There are no coincidences with God, are there.

Bless you, Carol, for all that you have done, and to Stephanie and Luke, I can tell you that a lot of people here in NZ are praying and have been praying for you and all the troops.
The world has become so small with modern technology. What affects one part of the world certainly affects people who care in another, even if they are not directly involved.

this is the most amazing story, and continues to warm my heart each time I read it. And I share it with everyone I meet.

gnu
08-05-2003, 04:45 AM
Carol...I'm sorry ..I could swear I had commented on this..
it is truly amazing..I am in awe of the detail and the crisp demarkations without smudging, between colours..do you use sticks, pastel pencils(I have a few of these) or brush to apply the pastel..?:clap: :clap:
Fabulous...we'd like more :D:D
Gill

Nori
08-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Here's to the power of art and the heart! In addition to Luke and Stephanie, this has helped me keep in my heart the men and women still in the middle east and those waiting to see them again.

reynolds
08-05-2003, 11:49 AM
wow!!! thank you thank you thank you!!!
i have been thinking a lot lately about healing and how it happens. i am a therapist so i see a lot of inner owies and indeed, i still see the results of the vietnam war and the stress it caused in peoples lives. i truly believe that one of the ways that artists serve the world is to present stories in the form of art that move us as a nation and a world.
this excellent work has certainly done that and in the process, blessed many with deep felt emotion. i do not have anyone close in iraq at this moment but my childrens doctor was gone for over six months and i can tell you that affected me.

welcome home luke, i hope that in time the stress of the experience will dissipate and leave in its place a deeper faith and a strength that can be felt and shared with those close to you and our nation.

may god bless all of those who wait and wonder!!!:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

pampe
08-05-2003, 04:49 PM
*pampe's still speechless*

BUT smiling

Felica Keech-Smith
08-06-2003, 07:25 PM
Believe it or not, I just today found your thread on this Carol (started in the creativity corner, I think) and I can hardly type for the tears. I know..I may sound sappy to some, but I have been so deeply touched by this story and by your portrait. God has truly revealed Himself even more so through you Carol and by this precious couple. Thank you so very sincerely,

Felica

christmascarolnz
08-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Wow the responses to this painting and story are incredible. I did not ever realise what would happen when I posted the painting. Just as well I bought the license to the photo! Now my pictures of the ripples a stone makes when thrown into a pond have blessed me.
I am excited that people have been touched by the whole message of the thread. Especially those who are involved on a more personal level.
Stephanie's husbands arrival has been put back a few days. I feel like I am sitting on hot coals waiting for him to return to her, and can only feel a small measure of disappointment and anxiety of what she and others in similar situations must be feeling.
I long for the day when Stephanie can report "He's back!" I know I'll be jumping up and down like a wild-woman.
I continue to pray for them and everyone else in the whole situation...along with those deployed in other countries.
Keep praying!
Carol

Yorky
08-07-2003, 07:39 AM
Just hit on this thread by accident - I rarely visit the Café these days - and read it from "cover to cover".

What a heart warming story with a happy ending. Your painting is beautiful, Carol, and deserves more publicity. Shame you can't issue prints.

If you spray it, try Chanel No.5 :D ;)

Doug

doe
08-07-2003, 07:52 AM
What a great painting and wonderful story, Carol! Best wishes to Stephanie and Luke!

nougat
08-07-2003, 10:50 AM
What a lovely painting!!! Well done!!

nadine

Elven Prince
08-08-2003, 12:32 PM
I am really amazed my this painting, Carol!:cat:

Linarty
08-11-2003, 10:23 AM
I just got caught up on this thread. WOW. But what has happened since? Did he make it home yet? Did you send the painting?

Linda

Koert
08-11-2003, 11:41 AM
wonderfull piece

Emilia
08-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Carol I am waiting for a finale.

Keep us posted.

Dyin
08-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Carol...had to come back again! Was really neat reading all the posts and seeing how many lives it is still touching...it sort of gives a new perspective on your username! And to think at first we all looked at it and loved it for it's touching subject and your great technique in painting it...never knowing what was yet to unfold! It has taken on a life of its own!

mustcreate
08-12-2003, 11:01 AM
incredible piece of work

incredible story

em

christmascarolnz
08-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Yorky - I have Chanel No.5 - didn't realise you could 'fix' pastels with it;)
Thank you for encouragement everyone.
Sue - The whole painting and story are as if they have been taken completely out of my hands and are no longer mine - as if they ever were... It reveals to me that my prayers do not go unanswered, that I do have a place in God's plan and I can use this as a standard to remind myself of this fact.
I won't be posting the painting until it has been in a couple of exhibitions here, but hopefully Luke & Stephanie will have it by Christmas.
All going well, I will post the painting to Kyle, she'll check it for me to make sure it's not smudged or damaged, then get it to Stephanie. I wish I were able to deliver it personally, but I am unable to.
I cannot tell you any more of the story just yet...but watch this space!:D
Carol

Linarty
08-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the update. This is such an amazing story.

Linda

stephie6102
08-20-2003, 11:49 PM
GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!! LUKE IS HOME!!! He returned to Georgia August 11th, and we just got back home to North Carolina earlier tonight! It was a WONDERFUL reunion and it is such a blessing to have my husband back home with me!! It's a dream come true - and God truly helped us make it through this time in our life and all the waiting has been MORE than worth it. Luke is doing fine, and he's very happy to be home! I'm going to let him read this site when he gets a chance...I know he will be touched to. Thank you all so much for your concern and prayers... It means more than you know!! I've got a picture of our reuniting...taken by the same man that took the picture of Luke smelling the envelope.... I'm going to try to put it on here, if I can figure it out...but if not, I'll see if Carol can do it for me! Thank you SO much Carol for everything - God has certainly allowed you to be a huge blessing in our lives! God bless you all!!!!

Kathryn Wilson
08-21-2003, 12:59 AM
Stephanie & Luke!!! Welcome home - what a joy it is to see you both looking so happy.

Thank you Stephanie for allowing us to be a part of this joyous homecoming!

Deborah Secor
08-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Thanks for sharing that wonderful, joyous picture of you two, Stephanie! I have tears in my eyes, remembering a homecoming in 1973... God bless you both.

Emilia
08-21-2003, 09:20 PM
OHHHHH WOW!!! What a happy reunion. God bless you both.

WELCOME HOME LUKE!!!

Luke I have a favor to ask.

Please tell all of your friends in the service when you see them or talk to them, that we all care and prayed for all of you to be safe, and to return home safely.

I am so Happy with this conclusion. Now lets all pray for the rest of them who still have a job to do.

christmascarolnz
12-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone. To finish this story.....
Luke is now home on US soil and was released from the services on the 31st October I believe, after completing his enlistment.
Of course Stephanie is rapt about having her husband back safe and sound..and so am I; along with a whole lot of other people.
I sent the painting to Kyle, who lives a short distance away from Stephanie and Luke, and she was kind enough to check it and make sure it was in prime condition after travelling from New Zealand to North Carolina. Oh how I wished I were travelling with the painting...
Anyway, Kyle delivered the painting to my lovely friends and they had a story written in the local newspaper so other families with folk serving overseas would be encouraged.
Here is the link to the story.
http://www.newsandobserver.com/front/digest/story/3150865p-2847672c.html
To sum it all up, here is a favourite scripture of mine...and I know that Kyle, Luke and Stephanie and their families will agree when I shout "PRAISE THE LORD!!' :clap: for teaching us the valuable lesson that anyone, anywhere, any time could be praying for us on the other side of the world or just around the corner...
"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right had will hold me fast." Psalm139:7-10
Thank you very much Scott for wetcanvas; Kyle for being a good friend; and Luke and Stephanie for being a great couple.

Dyin
12-24-2003, 11:06 PM
They wrote it up very nicely! And it's really cool they added a link to this actual thread....what a nice modern international Christmas story! :cool:

stephie6102
12-29-2003, 10:47 AM
Oh my ~ the painting is even more beautiful in person than it is here on this website! It's gorgeous!!! We absolutely love it and are going to take very good care of it, probably pass it down from generation to generation. Thank you soo much Carol for sharing your God given talent with us, you're such a special friend and our story is an amazing one indeed! It's actually HIS story b/c without our Heavenly Father, you wouldn't have felt the need to pray for us, I wouldn't have found this picture or you, and we'd go on never knowing each other. I'm very glad we met, you've been such an encouragement to me and so many others...thank YOU for allowing God to use you to bless our lives, and thank you for listening to Him and praying for us... really it's great that you painted Luke's picture, but even more than that, the fact that you spent your time praying for this unknown man and his wife is the most amazing of all and I thank you for that, and I thank God for you!!! God Bless You All ~ and thank you GOD for your Grace and Mercy!!!!!!!!!!!

crazyartist2000
01-04-2004, 11:13 AM
I just found this thread and would like to commend on the beautiful job you did and thank God also that the young couple were safely re-united. I read the article in the newspaper on-line and tears came to my eyes. This is such a heart warming story.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Moth
01-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Oh my.

Found this thread through a link in the WC post-upgrade site announcement and was enveloped at once by the emotions and happenings that inspired this beautiful work.

Congratulations to all involved for the 100% happy ending. I have to say, I kept my tears in check until I saw the picture of a beautiful bare-footed girl with her hair flying in the wind as she was reunited with her husband after such a heart-wrenching absence.

Stephanie and Luke, if you see this...I wish you all the happiness in the world.

Carol, :clap: .

~~Mary

cunparis
01-06-2004, 04:12 AM
I just found this thread and I must say I'm sitting here speechless with tears in my eyes. What an incredible story! Thanks to everyone for sharing such a wonderful story.

-michael

christmascarolnz
01-06-2004, 05:44 AM
I would like to share with you a photo Kyle's husband took when she opened up the painting for Stephanie and Luke.
Kyle assuaged my fears with her ability with the pastel medium and looking after the painting. I am truly blessed to call her 'friend'.
Thank you for reading our story - it certainly has been an amazing experience.
Carol

Kathryn Wilson
01-06-2004, 07:11 AM
I would like to share with you a photo Kyle's husband took when she opened up the painting for Stephanie and Luke.
Kyle assuaged my fears with her ability with the pastel medium and looking after the painting. I am truly blessed to call her 'friend'.
Thank you for reading our story - it certainly has been an amazing experience.
Carol

Awww, Carol - this still brings tears to my eyes. No, Carol, I have been blessed to have found a new friend in New Zealand! The experience of being able to tell this story to a reporter and having the newspaper go bonkers over it was truly incredible.

Luke and Stephanie: It was wonderful meeting you and seeing the love in your eyes for each other - sigh, need I say more. Love to you both,

carole c
01-06-2004, 01:13 PM
WoW! I just found this thread through Scott's revamping. What a beautiful story and painting. How wonderful so many lives all over the world have been touched in such a loving way. Thank you Carol for sharing your talent and Luke and Stephanie for sharing this part of your lives. We have all been blessed with a measure of peace from this story.

Smudgedperspective
01-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Not only is this a beautiful work, this is a beautiful story. Like most of the rest of you I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. I'm not looking forward to the day when my soldier boy gets shipped off. This is truly inspiring and shows us how small the world really is. Thank you for sharing this-Lauren

Tap
01-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Carol,

This is a truly beautiful painting. The 1st 24 years of my government job was with the military, my last job being at the US Army War College, and I positively know that they would love to see this painting... such things touch them in times and ways when they most need it... This is every military person... male OR female... getting that letter from home, putting up to their face for a connection, an almost impossible whiff of perfume or aftershave thousands of miles and seemingly light years away.

If you get permission to share it, if that's what you are waiting for, and wish to have the military see it I'm sure I can help find that avenue.

Tap ;~D

christmascarolnz
01-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Carole, Lauren & Tap...thanks for looking and enjoying the story. It is wonderful to be a part of it.
Tap I did manage to get my copyright license, and if you would like to share it with anyone else you are most welcome. I hate the idea of anyone being in a war - soldiers and civilians both - such unhappiness, but I guess that is a part of life.
For anyone else who has loved ones involved in the war and continuing efforts in Iraq & Afghanistan - my heart and prayers are for you.
Carol

Cntrymouse
01-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Carol
Carol I am so touched with this painting. My husband and my sons were in the service and I know how much their hearts were longing to be home with their loved ones. I have heard that the fellows often sniff the letters hoping for a whiff of something familiar. You did a wonderful job on this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

LAartist
01-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Incredible!

I've just read through this entire thread and cant stop :crying: ! What a beautiful story, and wonderful painting!

It just goes to show how much art really can have an affect on life!

mhimeswc
01-28-2004, 12:12 AM
What an amazing, wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it all with us, Carol.

Michelle

hazegry
01-15-2005, 01:29 PM
wow I just found this as I was looking for tutorials so I could get started with pastels. I am In the navy and I can tell you it means alot when you see something like this. I was on an anphibious assault ship and we picked up our Marines out of NC. Thanks for caring you are all great people.

christmascarolnz
01-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Hazgry - I am glad you have been encouraged by my painting. Thanks for commenting 'cos it is encouraging in turn for me. Also for Stephanie and Luke.
Any help you need for those pastels - just ask - the pastels forum is a great place to spend some time.
All the very best to you,
Carol