PDA

View Full Version : OK I think I got it this time.

bairam
06-05-2003, 05:56 PM
I promise this is the last time you will see these pink and yellow Gladiolas. I been working with them for days and I'm even getting tired of them. There are some red and purple ones just getting color in the garden and they may be my subjects next week.

This time I used a different vase and set up upstairs in front of the big picture window, that was my light source. I used a soft green mat board and the shiny surface of the desk. I changed the items around the flowers a few times to make it a more interesting composition.

Shot with my Nikon 4500.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2003/2194-pkdylogladdeer.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2003/2194-pnkylogladstilcks.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2003/2194-pnkylogladstill1.jpg
#4 Close up of flowers for the last time.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2003/2194-pinkyel.closeup.jpg

Comments eagerly anticipated.

SunnyJon
06-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Okay? What's the gag ? these are beautiful glads! I like the second one best-very sharp & nice comp with the lil' birdies! I love ceramics!:D :cool: :clap: The vase is gorgeous!:D

OhThatGirl2001
06-05-2003, 06:06 PM
I like them all.... but I don't think they're tulips? They look like gladiolas to me? I like the lighting in the first one.

Lisa

bairam
06-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Oh My God....Did I say Tulips... I must be brain dead.

Sorry guys. Of course the are glads. LOL

haggis63
06-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Well all the hard work has paid off. These are great and I can a vast improvement on the previous ones. #2 is the best to me. I'm sure you've had enough of photographing them but if you do have another go may I suggest having the bird on the left facing inwards. Just a little suggestion but the image looks fantastic as it is.

Alan

DuncanBerenice
06-05-2003, 06:36 PM
I like #2 as well, I don't know why but I do :D

Duncan

DraigAthar
06-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Ah Maria, I like this background much better than the pink/red one, well done! #3 I think is my favorite, but do you know, I think it would look perfect without the little pot on the left. I just love the way the deer seems to be looking up at the flowers, but the pot is just a distraction to my eye. But not a BIG distraction, cos that shot is still my favorite, lol. :)

Amy

bairam
06-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys. I really like these also and it was fun working through the problems and coming up with a solution.
Alan I love my little chicks and especially like the way the yellow in the one on the left echos the yellow in the glads.

Thanks Amy for the suggestion but I like the way that "little pot"
"antique sugar bowl" brings light onto that side of the composition. Otherwise it would have been very dark on that side. But I do appreciate the critique.

I had fun using all my little "chautkies" to compose these still
life's. I have lots more "things" and will do more still life's later.
I enjoyed it.

King Terrier
06-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Beautiful. Period. Paragraph.

:clap:

vklum
06-06-2003, 02:24 AM
Maria, you've outdone yourself!

I think this green background (and the vase) really makes the gladiolas "pop"!

Very nicely done! :clap:

jsr88
06-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Maria...VERY nicely done.

Alan...:) I thought the same thing about turning the chick inward, also. Having all the chicks "leaving" the image, takes my eye away with them.

Amy... :) I agree with you about having the deer standing solo in the composition. I thought that both "other objects" included with the deer weren't necessary. I LOVE the deer. The sugar bowls tend to change the scale of the design and confuse the composition which, for me, is otherwise perfect.

Maria, I think you've done a marvelous job. IMO, one thing everyone needs to do is consider the value in "empty" space. It isn't really empty at all...rather it tends to accentuate as well as balance the rest of the composition. But then this feeling of mine *could* stem from the fact that it's been a long time since my life HAD any empty spaces. :D I guess that means I'm ALL off balance. ;)

:clap: GREAT GLADS!!! :clap:

jsr88
06-06-2003, 09:03 AM
I'm back...After sending the previous reply, I was hit with an idea. Something we've not ventured into here in the Photo Forum is setting up Still Life images. I'd LOVE to see a topic of conversation started that would deal with that subject.

Just a thought.

sherloc
06-06-2003, 09:18 AM
great idea Julie. I've never tried still life. I'd love to see what everyone has to say on the subject.

Maria. Beautimous. I love the green background.

Ozzie
06-06-2003, 09:29 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done Maria! Lovely work. #2 takes it because it is nicely lit and very sharp. Beautiful composition, although I prefer the set up of #1, it doesn't have the same sharpness.

Congrats.

Ozzie

Oldthumbs
06-06-2003, 09:51 AM
Well, my vote would go for #2, if we were voting. :) I think the reason it is appealing is that the colors of the flowers are picked up in the chicks. It looks very Easter-ish, too.

Ray

Margie L
06-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Maria- I do like this green background better than your previous shots--A nice contrast to the bright glads.
As for the composition--I like #2 best. The birds are fun, turn the left one in toward the vase he takes your eye out of the comp. And you might like to experiment with overlapping your objects instead of lineing them up in a row. That would give you some depth in the composition. Beautiful Glads.
:)
Margie

bairam
06-06-2003, 01:14 PM
this has been great, getting all the feed back from everyone.
I have learned a lot about still life through this exercise and all the helpful comments.

Julie I think that your idea is a good one. I for one would love to see more discussion about still life.

I posted in the "Still Life" forum and hopefully some of the artists from there will pop over and give us some feedback.

I fully intend to do more of these as in summer when my garden is blooming, one of the pleasures of that is to be able to bring in flowers and do arrangements.

Thanks everyone for your most thoughtful comments.

Please rate this thread.

AriadneArts
06-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Maria, these are great! The background couldn't be a better color. For me it's a huge improvement over the earlier pink. Really pops them glads out. I love the comp in #1. It's my favorite even though it isn't quite sharp. You are progressing by leaps and bounds with your new lil 4500, GF. Well done!

Julie, I also like the idea of a Still Life photography topic. Perhaps it could be made a project. Just a thought.