PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane: comments warmly welcome

jumper
05-15-2012, 12:25 AM
This is something I started yesterday and had no idea of where it was going. But slowly it started looking like something, so I ran with it. Hope you like it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2012/1021092-candyCane5.jpg

PushingPixels
05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
delicious, the only thing that got me was the position of the red/white moon circle, call me rigid but if you use ratio of thirds (a visual trick and not exact) and move him over to where the black line intersects so you can see what I'm talkin about it may hold together better.

Mr moon seems to be leaving the picture plane somewhat.
I love the color, Alice would feel right at home.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2012/44004-1021092-candyCane5.jpg

jumper
05-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Thank you for the comments. And thanks for the lesson about visual thirds. I'm going to try and move it where you said and you're right, that should make it better. It is a little too close the the outside of the painting. I agree.

Katie Black
05-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Wonderfull colours in this one!...now I'm off to paint!:lol:

breadmerchant
05-15-2012, 05:11 PM
It'salways great to see the outcome as your creative juices flow...I like the concept of the dreamlike landscape...the red in the moon or sun shape may be a bit strong!

jumper
05-15-2012, 06:56 PM
delicious, the only thing that got me was the position of the red/white moon circle, call me rigid but if you use ratio of thirds (a visual trick and not exact) and move him over to where the black line intersects so you can see what I'm talkin about it may hold together better.

Mr moon seems to be leaving the picture plane somewhat.
I love the color, Alice would feel right at home.

It'salways great to see the outcome as your creative juices flow...I like the concept of the dreamlike landscape...the red in the moon or sun shape may be a bit strong!

PushingPixels,
Thanks for the lesson of thirds. I moved the object closer in, like you said, and it looks much better now. It might be a little too far to the right, but either way, it looks better than being at the edge of the painting. The thirds thing is something I will remember after this.

breadmerchant,
You were right about the sun/moon being a bit much. I was trying to say that the reason for the stripes was because on the red color. But my lady looked at it and said that it looked like a fishing bobber! And that was it, after both of your comments, I decided to change it for sure.

I've updated the picture some. I brightened the grass up some as it got closer in the painting. Plus just added a few slight things here and there. So here's the updated version.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2012/1021092-candycane1.jpg

timE
05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
The composition is better, but I preferred the bobber sun. The realistic color of this sun seems to not fit with your imagined scenery. There is something to be said for a strange world deriving it's whole existence from a strange source rather than a regular sun.

jumper
05-16-2012, 01:24 PM
The composition is better, but I preferred the bobber sun. The realistic color of this sun seems to not fit with your imagined scenery. There is something to be said for a strange world deriving it's whole existence from a strange source rather than a regular sun.

Hi TimE,

That was the effect that I was looking for... basically I wanted to show that one of the reasons the the trees had stripes was because of the light source. I'm going to look at it again and see what I can do. Maybe an angle of the same color red through the middle instead of half and half?

Thanks for your comments.

jumper
05-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Ok, I've spiced up the colors some and I changed the sun to fit the rest of the painting. Other comments still welcomed :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2012/1021092-candycane1.jpg

Sean T.
05-17-2012, 12:50 AM
It reminds me of the pop art of the 60s - a landscape the cartoon Beatles might sing a song in.

Eraethil
05-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Definitely like the funky pink sun. It does work with the rest of the alien environment. I think I like the second colour scheme most. It feels more unified because of the yellow/green bits throughout the composition.

Cheers!

jumper
05-18-2012, 05:48 PM
I've made some changes to Candy Cane. Hopefully the changes will move the viewers eyes to the rest of the painting and not be stuck on the striped trees. I also got rid of the "bright" pink and toned it down a bit for the same reason. I also made it seem there were hills far away in the painting. Once more to try and pull the viewer into the painting.

so here it is again... comments welcome if you're not tired of this thread :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2012/1021092-lastCane.jpg

spicuzza
05-19-2012, 05:49 AM
For me the part that always needed strengthening was the sky. I think you could give it a treatment consistent with your landscape. The aptly-described "bobber sun" was my favorite along with the earlier brighter tones. Think of why our sky is blue and then reflect on how your sky would look. Would the clouds be white? What time of day is this in your world?

jumper
05-19-2012, 12:58 PM
For me the part that always needed strengthening was the sky. I think you could give it a treatment consistent with your landscape. The aptly-described "bobber sun" was my favorite along with the earlier brighter tones. Think of why our sky is blue and then reflect on how your sky would look. Would the clouds be white? What time of day is this in your world?
Thanks for the idea about the sky. You're right and I somehow didn't think about it. I knew something bothered me about the painting, but I wasn't sure what it was. I've changed it again and it won't be the last change. Later I will go back and brighten up the foreground with the lighter colors.

But for now... here's where things stand (the new bobber might be a little big, but maybe it's ok considering the content of the painting... don't know.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2012/1021092-candycane.jpg

davefriend
05-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Last one is compromise. Really liked the first one best. It is tough to find what is best to do especially when you have many voices (with experience) re-directing you somewhere else. Colors on the first - spot on. sun would have been better if adjusted into the painting, which you tried to do but with less impact.

I really enjoyed the surreal aspect of the composition, shapes and colors of that first painting but once you began to leave the path that originally led you to your place of satisfaction with your work, it is hard or impossible to get back if you discover you are going in a wrong direction.

In this the digital artists have it all over us because thy can always undo or go back to that previously saved version. We cannot (at least as easily). Paintings are like words spoken, once said thy are out and you cannot put them back in your mouth and re-speak them, they are part of your expression of what resides inside. When you paint from inside and share the expression, it is part of you but everyone will measure your painting according to the best of their experience and then express how you might do it better. That is what goes on here and most of the time is is helpful.

You remain in the artist seat and are the artist, actor, director, producer and stage hand of your own production. In the end you are the only one who can reveal what you intended. True time and practice will improve your ability to do it better. You are a creative one, I like the spunk (does that betray my age?) and the individuality in your work so keep painting. Paint more on this if it helps or move on to the next. I just think you have it and are on your way. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW I liked the red/white sun which reminded me of the squiggly lined Pepsi logo.

jumper
05-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Thank you Dave. Your comments make me feel better as an artist and make me want to keep going. Yes, It's hard to go back. I don't think you can ever do it completely, but I think you can get close sometimes. I'm going to work on this one more time and show everyone, but after that I will be moving on to something else. I already have something in mind and I really can't wait to start on it.

Spunk, huh? Not only does it reveal your age, but mine as well. I know exactly what you mean, and thank you. You have given me the feedback that I was looking for... and I thank you for that as well. There are so many really good artist on this site, and you have given me some validation that I needed to hear. It's tough being new around so many people with years of experience. But I've always thought that to become good at something, it's best to work with the best. It will help you get better faster.

Thanks,
jumper

davefriend
05-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Spunk, huh? Not only does it reveal your age, but mine as well. I know exactly what you mean, and thank you.We're just a couple of years apart ...I hadn't realized that!!!

trufflecat
05-19-2012, 07:50 PM
It's fascinating watching your painting evolve. I love the colors and stripes in the trees and the mountains. I agree with others that the area that needs a little more work is the sky and moon. How about going back to your first bobber moon (I liked it!), but in the position you have it in now?

Somehow, maybe because of the advice you've gotten here (!) your sky doesn't quite match the style of the rest of the painting. The color - purple with the blue under it, I like, but the white streaks and dots for the clouds are - hmmmm - not sure - too uniform maybe, just too much, and they seem to dominate the painting, not sure if that's what you want. You could try introducing some vague areas of purple/magenta in the sky instead of the white/ light blue streaks. Just a thought. (I paint striped skies so you probably shouldn't listen to me!)
One last comment, the 2 striped trees are so wonderful, if you could make them lighter and maybe brighter, they would stand out more. Oh, and whatever you did to that waterfall or ski jump or whatever it is - the blue half circle in the background - much better than the original because now it settles back nicely into the background. Keep going!

Katie Black
05-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Jumper....excellent advice from Dave, you are on a journey of discovery and exploration:lol: tis true! people will offer advice and sometimes it will be helpfull but other times not so much..and everyone will have differant views, thats art, painting is not something you master overnight it is a journey and one you should take leisurely.

Eraethil
05-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I also thought Dave's words were excellent. You have an edge over some younger painters jumper. You are brave, posting your work and asking for the critique of others. And you are mature enough to realize that art creation is a journey without a destination. There is always a side trip waiting around the corner that could send you towards a new wonder/wander. There are always too many guides (to listen to them all) on this journey, but the great thing about it is that you are exploring more than being guided.

Sometimes what I like about WC! the most is watching the explorations of other artists and how they develop their craft and expression. That can be even more inspiring than the individual works they post.

Cheers!

jumper
05-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank you Rick. Your comments are so appreciated. I'm working hard to get better at this. I paint every day and try to learn things along the way. I enjoy the critique of others because there are so many good artist here. I understand that I can't listen to everyone's suggestions, but there have been so many that the good outweighs the bad. Thanks about the "brave" comment. I was terrified to post my first painting, because I'm self taught and didn't have a clue about some of the lessons I have learned here. But as I said earlier... If you want to get better at something, you should hang out with the "big boys". And this site is full of them! :)

davefriend
05-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Thank you Rick. Your comments are so appreciated. I'm working hard to get better at this. I paint every day and try to learn things along the way. I enjoy the critique of others because there are so many good artist here. I understand that I can't listen to everyone's suggestions, but there have been so many that the good outweighs the bad. Thanks about the "brave" comment. I was terrified to post my first painting, because I'm self taught and didn't have a clue about some of the lessons I have learned here. But as I said earlier... If you want to get better at something, you should hang out with the "big boys". And this site is full of them! :)Being self taught is not a bad thing ...I suffer from this syndrome also but I take it all in and filter everything. WC is a great place to learn and share and as you have found ...we don't bite (usually!) and are interested in the advancement of others art as well as our own. You are among friends here.