PDA

View Full Version : Genocide

somerset
06-05-2003, 03:59 AM
Photoshop Elements 2
All crits welcomed.

rapolina
06-05-2003, 04:07 AM
beautiful and imporessive. it seems a watercolor, so fluid and transparent!

ciao, rapolina.

Adrienne
06-05-2003, 04:49 AM
This is cool. I like everything about it except maybe the way the yellow is integrated. And the title. Why that title for this painting?

somerset
06-05-2003, 05:24 AM
rapolina & Adrienne, thank for stopping to comment. Much appreciated. I guess it does have a watercolor like presence and I may tone done the yellow a bit.

As far as the title is concerned, I am open to suggestion. I see dead people...in fact I counted 16 just before responding. What do you see?

Adrienne
06-05-2003, 06:49 AM
I see a beautiful palette... perhaps a garden.

What have you been watching by way of TV or movies? I saw a movie called Harrison's Flowers a couple of weeks ago about Yugoslavia during the murderous times. Dead and dying people all about, and they weren't in a gorgeous palette as yours are, or in a graceful composition such as yours... just ghastly horrible dark careless hateful gratuitous merciless mindless murder.

I simply don't see it in your painting, unless you are glorifying it somehow. So I honestly don't understand the painting.

surreal
06-05-2003, 10:12 AM
WOW!
It's a strong image!!!

somerset
06-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Adrienne, thanks for returning. News. In the Phila. area it looks like another ghastly summer for children. Two children, one in Bucks County & one in Philadelphia have been found alive but duct-taped in little over a month. The youngest is less than one year old. The trial of 2 kidnappers who left their victim (I believe the girl was 6 or 7) bound, gagged in an abandoned house to die in order to affect their escape began a few weeks ago. You may have heard about that one last summer as she managed to somehow free herself.

These are our children. If the colors are out of sync with the horror, (and I agree that they are) hopefully this helps better illustrate the identity of the victims. If not, it is just one more failed painting and I have plenty.

I believe there is a word which relates to the killing of children but I don't recall what it is. Not homicide, patricide or fratricide but genocide seemed the closest.

somerset
06-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Nina. A wow?

Kalibabe
06-05-2003, 12:57 PM
I still have to maintain that I have No Idea At ALL how people can get detail doing digital things. I get amophous splodges that say nothing and mean less.

So, immediately impressed.

I am going to go against the tide of opinion here and say that I looked at the image in passing at first and saw nothing

:(

But, as I looked at it again, figures started to show themselves to me. They all looked 'lost' to me, unhappy. The lovely colours only seemed to heighten my unease as I looked at them, like this is wrong, these people should not be like this...

You know what I mean... suppose like you have said..... life stolen from them...... when they should be living in beauty, sunshine and laughter.

If the colours had been dark and dismal, I don't think it would have been as striking to me.

The more I look, the more people I see, and the more disturbing it seems...

Hope that wasn't all meaningless twaddle, and I hope I haven't said anything out of place

Tamana
06-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Hey Hey Michael! Nice tribute. You seem to really be getting the hang of all the digi stuff. Could be your ticket! Yah tickets!

Shalom,

Tam :)

somerset
06-05-2003, 01:43 PM
Kalibabe... thank you for stopping to comment. You've perfectly summarized what I was trying to portray and the rationale for the color. Glad you saw it.

Please do not hesitate to comment on anything I do if the urge strikes. My primary reason for posting is to get feedback. In this case, I knew that the colors used could mislead the viewer as much as inform. But I chose to gamble.

somerset
06-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Tamana, keep poppin' in from time to time. Yes, it is a tribute to the people. They are people after all, not just victims without identity.

Adrienne
06-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Somerset,

I'm sorry that I don't see it in your painting, but it really doesn't matter. What I strongly feel that matters in this universe, and on this planet, is that you cared enough to paint them in this way that is meaningful to you and to them. You are connected to those people through your humanity and caring, through your recognition of their suffering. You haven't turned a blind eye and a deaf ear. You have helped by listening and being one of the people on this planet that wants good to prevail.

Perhaps someday I'll be mature enough to see what you painted more clearly. Thank you for letting me get to know your soul through your artwork.

somerset
06-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Adrienne... sorry took so long to reply. Had a system crash and am just starting to put Humpty Dumpty back together now. 52 updates on windows xp before I could even access the internet for downloads??? Anyway,we're talking about a painting. If we have conflicting opinions, about that, so what?

amanda
06-06-2003, 04:05 AM
I think the title is fitting but at the same time if you put such a specific title on your work it stops other people seeing what else might be there.

Dahzl
06-06-2003, 06:04 AM
Hi Michael - This is really something! Very powerful and very disturbing. I can understand where you are coming from- there is so much of this terrible unthinkable stuff occuring all over the world - and as we all already know- it has been happening for years and years!

I watched a program the other night on S.B.S. - watched and listened to young Palestinian children talking about their experiences - a perspective that we never get to see through the normal and often biased media channels. They are not and will never be innocent children ever again! - so the death represented in this instance is not necessarily a physical one - and that -so sadly is just a drop in the ocean!

What also struck me about your image in terms of the way it was presented -[ I saw many many faces in there too! [ Like death masks ] - but the feel was more in relation to the colors used- and in that I felt that there is a beauty and welcome relief in death- a final release from pain and suffering. I know you meant to convey it that way as a form of identifying the victims as children - But I guess this was the way I read it.

Very Well Done!! - and extremely thought provoking!!

Regards Dahzl. :)

somerset
06-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Amanda...can't dispute that. I would imagine that titles are meant to offer a little insight about what the creator of any artistic expression sees or feels. That said, surely it is understood that people will take from it what they want. And neither process is invalid. To step away from the visual for a moment, here is a parallel for you. What about the blues singers/musicians? Most people find their work uplifting but isn't the meat of the message sad? The tiny sliver of hope or survival is what people latch onto & I would presume that is the intent of the performer. Surely they have no desire to depress anyone.

Dahzl lets make a deal. You supply a narrative for everything I do that is worthy of your words. Obviously you won't work too often but wow. This is a favorite of mine and after reading your comments I liked it even more. The addition of your text adds so much without spoiling the discovery. Thank you for understanding and illustrating what I was trying to convey. Any loss of life and liberty, fatal or otherwise is death. And for some, death is an unjust penalty. For others it is freedom to move on.

Simcha
06-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Wow, I saw the "Genocide" right away. One of your critics was correct, the title does guide the viewer to a particular viewpoint BUT, it's the title of this work that makes it so interesting. Without a title, I would say, "Morning in the Garden" bla, bla, bla. Giving it the title made me really look and see the bodies, the heat (yellow) the oppression from above.
"Fantasy candy" for my mind.
Thanks. Neat-o piece.:cat:

somerset
06-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Simcha, welcome to WC! Thanks for commenting. I am glad you made the connection, mind candy is a good thing.

Dahzl
06-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Why Thankyou Michael! :D :D I feel very honoured!

Cheers Dahzl :D