PDA

View Full Version : abstract - "Everlong"

kare
06-04-2003, 03:58 PM
I finished this piece lastnight in acrylic. I'm placing two images of it here; the glare really effected the photo, am sorry about that. I'm still figuring out how to take images with the flash.
All comments welcome.

"Everlong" acrylic on canvas 40x32" 04.06.03
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2003/18486-3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2003/18486-4.jpg

marc
06-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi Ciarrai,

The colours in this composition speak of good things to me, but the figure looks like she is in agony in the dark..

You can try to soften and diffuse the flash by holding a piece of soft white tissue over it.. it's basically a poor-man's diffuser :)

kare
06-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi Marc,
thanks for replying! i like to hear the feelings others have towards my work. i had this face in my mind for weeks and did sketches and colour trials throughout my art journal. then i pulled out the canvas and went mad :)

I will try the 'defuser' method you mentioned.
cheers.
-ciarrai.

kare
06-04-2003, 06:40 PM
p.s not sure if 'everlong' is the right name.. i am thinking about titling it "Mourning Has Broken"..

marc
06-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Hey, it's diffuse, not 'defuse', which I believe is something entirely different :D I saw a website earlier with all kinds of tips on how to create cheap bouncers and diffusers for point-and-shoot cams, but I can't find it.. if you have a low, white ceiling then you can try bouncing the flash (this will look very good with proper exposure) by keeping a mirror at an angle under the flash so it hits the ceiling at about 45 degrees and then comes back down on the subject.. never tried that with such a homemade solution myself though, I figure it would be tricky to hold.. I guess best bet is to figure out how to turn it off and then shoot when there's ample light.

kare
06-04-2003, 08:31 PM
I think i will try the tissue idea, that or I will just attempt taking another photo over the weekend when it will be daylight. I find that with all acrylic and oil paintings light reflects off the paint- harder to get a better quality of photograph.

I'll try the tissue technique, thanks.

kare
06-05-2003, 01:46 AM
I'm heading home soon- will give the tissue idea a go i think. i bought some varnish for the paintings today- and will shop around for some hooks over the weekend to hang my work up about the house.. beats letting the walls go bare and boring :)

Phillip
06-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Hi ciarrai

I like the colors you have here.

Well done.

I can see some real improvements with each painting you post.