PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck Drake

earnest_ward
05-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Getting some much needed rain today (the first in weeks -- it's delightful!) So, I'm working on a sketch of a male Wood Duck (we have a pair who have hatched a brood of 9 chicks -- the first of their species on our wildlife preserve) as a MD gift for my wife. This is my first experiment with Platinum Carbon Ink (very nice! :thumbsup: ) and I'll add the watercolor this evening.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2012/101693-Wood_Duck2.jpg

RainySea
05-12-2012, 06:25 PM
beautiful duck, Earnest. What kind of pen did you use the platinum ink in? What is the read symbol... or is it a signature? I will be eager to see with the watercolor on!

DrDebby
05-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Gorgeous duck.

urbanspinner
05-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Just beautiful. The stippling is masterful. Is the red stamp your name, or a mood stamp?

earnest_ward
05-12-2012, 11:46 PM
beautiful duck, Earnest. What kind of pen did you use the platinum ink in? What is the read symbol... or is it a signature? I will be eager to see with the watercolor on!

Thanks all for the favorable comments. RainySea, the pen is a vintage Pelikan 120 (with a wonderful Merz & Krell flex nib) and the seal is my family name (a gift from a former student from Taiwan.)

earnest_ward
05-13-2012, 06:31 PM
And the finished project -- just in time to give to my wife this morning for Mother's Day.:D (I decided to leave the bottom of the sheet blank so as not to obstruct the lovely Fabriano watermark.) Cheers! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2012/101693-Wood_Duck_4.jpg

DrDebby
05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Oh wow! It's even better in color. I thought the ink work was just super as it was.

urbanspinner
05-13-2012, 11:33 PM
vintage Pelikan 120 (with a wonderful Merz & Krell flex nib)

*ears perk up* Tell us more. I've never heard of Merz & Krell before. How did you get the nib?

earnest_ward
05-14-2012, 12:08 AM
*ears perk up* Tell us more. I've never heard of Merz & Krell before. How did you get the nib?

In the mid- to late-70s Pelikan outsourced (for the one and only time in their history) the manufacture of their model 120 "student" line to the Merz & Krell. The product was the late-model 120 that was sold throughout the U.S. (and, I'm assuming, the rest of the world) in college bookstores and art supply shops. The Merz & Krell was very well made (except for the thin screw-on tip to the cap, which is prone to cracking), sported a far more flexible nib than is common on most Pelikans before or since, and was/still is immensely popular among artists looking for a responsive, affordable fountain pen that is smooth and produces a wonderfully varied line.

While the pen is no longer in production, it can frequently be found on eBay, and in shops dealing in vintage fountain pens, at very reasonable prices. And it holds up well. (I've had mine for over 30 years now and it continues to function flawlessly.)

(It should be noted that, since this pen was never actually manufactured by Pelikan, its nib is NOT interchangeable with that of any other pen in the Pelikan line.)

Geslina
07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
my favorite duck....just saw my first one in the wild a few weeks ago, they are very shy and don't stick around if they hear or see people. Unfortunately, the one I saw was going thru a molt...but it was still exciting to see.

Beautiful painting!

Marmsk
07-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Stunning work!