PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Oriole

Jakeally
06-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi everyone....I have joined the Expand your Horizons Exchange project. I decided to challenge myself with adding watercolour to my pen and ink birds. This is the first of five. I might do the magpie again but I don't know what else yet.
8"x11" on Fabriano Artistico HP.
I think it works very well....hope you like:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2003/4535-Baltimore_Oriel.jpg

rapolina
06-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Chris, it's wonderful! you're a great watercolorist! keep on!
IMHO, a leg is missing... but i love your drawing so clear!

ciao, rapolina.

Gutshot
06-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Wowzers! That looks great. I guess I need to get out the watercolors and start playing with washes. They look so great. Truely beautiful work on this one.

RedWolfRising
06-04-2003, 12:05 PM
I am of the opinion that your oriole is absolutely fabulous, and love the execution of colour. How very lifelike he is...

I am figuring that he appears to have only one leg due to the angle at which he is perched, as the bulk of his body covers the area where his other claw would be grasping the branch... am I correct here?

As an aside, this would be the very first time I have posted a response, and do apologize should I seem a daft fool.

...<I>grins</I>...

I love this fellow, just so you know. Kudos to you.

Be well.
RWR

artdude
06-04-2003, 12:11 PM
I am in awe!! What a WONDERFUL ink and watercolor piece!! :D:)

:clap: BRAVO CHRIS!!! :clap:

MonicaB
06-04-2003, 01:14 PM
Chris! He's beautiful!!!! Great job.

Jakeally
06-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Thank you so much everyone for you lovely comments:D

Rapolina....the other leg is underneath his body and not in view:D I thought that when I first saw my reference pic too:D

Gutshot...thank you so much. Yes....do give the watercolours a go....its great fun:D

RedWolfRising..... Thank you for your kind comments and I am so pleased you decided to respond to my posting for your first one. Hope there will be many more:D
You are absolutely correct about the leg:D .... and no.....you are not a daft fool:rolleyes: :D

Murray....thanks:D Hey....if you joined the project and you got put in my group for exchanges, it could be winging its way to you very soon:evil: :D :evil: :D

Jakeally
06-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Thank you Monica......LOL....we were posting at the same time:D

artdude
06-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Jakeally

Murray....thanks:D Hey....if you joined the project and you got put in my group for exchanges, it could be winging its way to you very soon:evil: :D :evil: :D

Now don't go TEASING me like that Chris :D:D:D
I'll look in to the project :)

mel-ink
06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Beautiful work, Chris!! My folks have these pretty birds visiting them all the time at their home in Minnesota. They fancy grape jelly, so mom & dad put out a special dish just for them. You have done a marvelous job with him and he looks fantastic!! Can't wait to see the other 4!!

:D :D :D

vestalqueen
06-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Chris, this is stunning! :clap:

Erin

Jakeally
06-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Hehehehehehehe...... Sorry Murray...couldn't resist trying to recruit for the project:D

Mel....so glad you like it. I wish we had some of these gorgeous birds over here. I would love to see them in real life:cat:

Thank you so much Erin:D

slatter
06-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Excellent work Chris! I will be looking for others also.

Jerry

BTDogMom
06-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Um Chris, I don't like it....I love it!! DAAAYYUM - u really got a way with birds and ink!:clap: :clap:

carolee
06-04-2003, 10:15 PM
lovely , lovely...bright colors. Nice drawing.

Jakeally
06-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Jerry, Jamie and Carol....thanks for checking it out and for your lovely comments:D

Dave.t
06-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Stunning work Chris....your colour work is beautiful..please do more
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

drwells
06-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Awesome Chris!!! You are so so good girl!!!!!

I got an idea for the next one. :p A roadrunner. :)

danny

Jakeally
06-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks Dave....I really appreciate you commenting.

Danny.... thanks buddy:D ....... Hey.....where can I get a pic of a Roadrunner.....legally:D

dolors
06-06-2003, 01:22 AM
Chris, how can I miss this thread? It is absolutely wonderful. You are better and better every day. Congratulations!

Jakeally
06-06-2003, 04:40 AM
Thank you Dolors..... yes I do think I have more confidence now:D
It's all down to joining the PostCard Project.... with all the encouragement and inspiration from everyone....you especially:D .... how could I fail to improve.
The only problem now is getting back to a larger size:D I look at that large sheet of paper and feel very daunted:D
Never mind....I will work myself up slowly:rolleyes: :D

seejay
06-07-2003, 07:27 AM
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to this one, Chris.

Between work and expanding my own horizons with acrylics :) I haven't had much spare time.

Great work on this one, the colour is great.:clap: :clap:

Chees

Elankat
06-07-2003, 11:08 AM
I love it. Your birds are great. This one definitely could hold it's own in an illustrated guide to birds.

My only issue is the one mentioned with the leg. My logical mind realizes that it is under the body and not in view. However, that does not stop me from WANTING to see it. Sometimes it isn't the best thing to follow the ref photo.

Jakeally
06-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks Chris:D ....I hope you are enjoying your acrylics:cat:

Leanne...thank you....good point...I'll remember that for next time:D :cat:

jjsangel
06-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Hey Chris. I think this works wonderfully well. The color is a beautiful addition to a great P&I piece. I love how you shaded the color. Very nice.

marilyn h
06-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Gorgeous! Such nice work with birds. You can tell they are your love.

Jakeally
06-08-2003, 01:49 AM
Thanks Sharon...I was pleased with the colour too.:D ...It was nice that it worked and didn't turn out all muddy:rolleyes: :D

Marilyn....thank you for stopping by...I appreciate you comments very much:cat:

Inkling
06-09-2003, 01:56 AM
fantastic bird Chris! You have done an excellent job of combining watercolor and Pen and ink. :clap:

orchid black
06-10-2003, 02:07 AM
Beautiful! I'm always afraid of adding colour to my pen and ink drawings, but this is fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing the next birds!

Jakeally
06-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks Inky:D

Lol Orchid Black.....me too.:rolleyes: :D
I have two more birds under way and don't like either of them....well the birds aren't that bad but I'm having probs with the watercolour:D ...Practice, practice, practice.....
Thanks for commenting:D

sassybird
06-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Absolutely lovely, Chris. Ummmmmmmmm I wonder if you will continue to challenge yourself in this way :) I just love your birds, and especially the one I have from the postcard exchange:D

els
06-11-2003, 02:15 PM
You did it! Very good ! :D

captan
06-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Wery crisp. Watercolours and ink are like meanth for each other! That's what I allways say.

drwells
06-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Hey Chris! Just an update....Still chasing that roadrunner trying to get you a pic. :D

Danny

Jakeally
06-12-2003, 05:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments:D

Sassy....I don't think I can get the birds out of my system yet...not until I am totally satisfied I got it right:rolleyes: :D
The feeling is mutual about the postcards....I love yours too:cat:

Eamon...thank you:D

Captan....thank you and I so agree....I love the combination:cat:

Hey Danny....I am looking forward to that photo. I don't know the real name for a roadrunner and I don't know what one looks like (except the one in the cartoon) so I can't look it up....don't be stupid girl....go do a search on Google. Sorry guys....just talking to myself:D