PDA

View Full Version : A Question for all you Photographers!

DraigAthar
06-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Hey everyone! I had an idea and I wanted to see what folks thought about it.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the reference image library here at WC. If you haven't checked it out, you should! It's got to be one of the best resources around for artists of all kinds. I thought it would be good if we could help to make it even better.

So what I wondered was this - if I were to come up with requests now and then for photos of a specific item or scene, would anyone be interested in taking photos specifically to put them into the reference image library? We've got some pretty darn good photographers hanging about in this forum, I think if I were to peek through the ref lib now and then and see what they could use MORE of, we could do WC a great service by coming up with a few contributions!

So let me know what you think!

Amy

jsr88
06-04-2003, 10:29 AM
Amy, I think that's a GOOD idea! I'd be willing to *try* to help out with specific subjects.

Margie L
06-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. There are some awsome pics in the library but there are spots that could be filled with some of our good work.
Do you have any ideas of what is needed?

geckonia
06-04-2003, 03:41 PM
I don't see why not.... as long as you don't ask for pictures of deep sea fishing... :rolleyes:

I put some hummingbirds in my ref lib when I noticed the "When Pigs Fly" project in the Sci/Fi forum the other day.... I thought the wings might come in handy.

DraigAthar
06-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Julie - thanks! Your photos are lovely, I'm sure they'd make a lot of artists happy if they found them in the ref lib. :)

Margie - I figured I could browse through the library and find themes every now and then that look like they could use some help.

Geck - no deep sea fish, I'll remember that. ;) And that was a great idea of you to put the hummers in for the project!

Amy

madmum
06-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Woooooohoooooooooo! Thank you sooooooo much, you're a star!!!!!!!

Us painter types will be extremely grateful!

And I'll be happy to donate more to the RIL if I can get the things you spot gaps for :)

Ruth

King Terrier
06-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Amy:
That's a great way to get some of us motivated. I've been meaning to take the time to upload images, but there never seems to be 'extra' time. I work better with assignments; so, I'd be glad to participate.:) Thanks for GUIDING us!

drapier
06-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by King Terrier
Amy:
That's a great way to get some of us motivated. I've been meaning to take the time to upload images, but there never seems to be 'extra' time. I work better with assignments; so, I'd be glad to participate.:) Thanks for GUIDING us!
Sounds like a great idea I have been meaning to post images to the reference lib also and never got to it but if every so often there were to be requests I think I might make more of en effort

DraigAthar
06-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Hooray, more volunteers!

Madmum - as a painter, myself, my goals here are partly selfish, as well, haha! I'm always looking for new stuff in the ref lib. :)

KT and Mike - great! I love both your photos, I bet you'd have lots of good stuff to contribute, too! I'll have to pick a theme and start a new thread right away.

Amy

joemajury
06-04-2003, 07:48 PM
I have already done it for Ivy once before when she asked for some Fruit & Vegetables pics.
I went to the local market and got some great shots.
I too think the reference library here is a wonderful resource.

Joe
;) ;)

dbrigleb
06-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a great idea.:clap:
Things like that always help get my juices flowing, as well.

vklum
06-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Count me in! I'm a newbie painter and have a stack of my own photos waiting for me to tackle.

If you let me know where there are "holes", then I can go through my archives and sort of prioritize my uploads (if I have them), or try to shoot a scene sooner rather than later.

DuncanBerenice
06-05-2003, 05:36 AM
I would be very happy to take photos for the reference library

Duncan

DraigAthar
06-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Awesome, thanks for all the replies, I will put together a new thread shortly, so keep your eyes open! :)

Amy

SunnyJon
06-05-2003, 05:36 PM
:D :clap: I never have put any in there so I guess it's time I contribute. Guess I have to go figure it out!:D I noticed the hands & feet so I'll have to do some pics!Hopefully they don't mind anot as great photogs contributions!

olika
06-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Excellent idea!! :clap: I have just been given a new Fuji S602 digital camera and I would love to take pictures of things people would like to have or photos to beef up the ref. library :D :D

Ivyleaf
06-06-2003, 01:02 PM
What an awesome idea and what a wonderful surprise to see so many contributions already!

If you have never uploaded to the library, here are some links that you may find useful:

FAQ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/faq.html)

Contribution Guidelines (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/contribute.html)

Article: general how-to and what makes a good photograph for the library (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2123/257)

Quick facts you might find fascinating: at this moment, we have 15,103 photographs in the library...and in the past 7 days, 371 new photographs have been uploaded!!!

I look forward to having ya'll keep me even busier ;)

Thanks to everyone, and if ya'll need anything, please feel free to drop me a PM.

Can't wait to see everyone's contributions!

:D :D :D
Ivyleaf
WC! Reference Image Librarian

Crias
06-06-2003, 10:18 PM
I have been trying to do this in the A&W forum, especially with specific breeds of dogs and specific wildlife available at the Denver Zoo. I think this is a great idea Amy. I would upload a lot more if I could batch upload, but when I tried it didn't work and at that point Scott didn't have time to fix the glitch. Does anyone know if the ability to batch upload is working?