PDA

View Full Version : Live Paint Along Classes Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Johannes Instructor
05-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Northlight has now opened registration for the Live 6 Hour Sunday "Paint Along" classes. All mediums welcome.

WetCanvas Live! Paint Along with Johannes Vloothuis

Follow Johannes' steps with other students in a relaxed non formal studio environment, in a 6 hour marathon every Sunday. He will start a painting from scratch and finish it in real time while you watch and if you want paint along as well during a live video feed. Because of the lengthy duration of the class you will be able to complete your own art creation as well. During the class you will receive verbal techniques, color combinations professional secrets, and instructions to guide you along the way. If you miss a part of the class or cannot make it one day, don't worry everything will be recorded.These sessions will include demos in oils, watercolor and pastels.

Fee: $19.99 24 hours of instruction
Time: 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM ET every Sunday from May 20 to June 10 (check your local time).
Requirements: High speed internet (aprox 1 MB download speed). An optional $3.99 USD may be required to remove commercial interruptions on UStream
Registration link:
http://www.northlightshop.com/digw-paint-along-w-j-vloothuis-strm

Tonalist
05-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Johannes..
The optional $3.99.. Does this mean we will have to register and sign up for U-stream itself.. and pay them directly?..
and if that's the case, will we log in through U-stream instead of "Improve my paintings"?
or does this get handled (payed for) through North Light?

Any clarification will be helpful as I definately don't want any commercial interuptions.

thanks
woody

Johannes Instructor
05-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Johannes..
The optional $3.99.. Does this mean we will have to register and sign up for U-stream itself.. and pay them directly?..
and if that's the case, will we log in through U-stream instead of "Improve my paintings"?
or does this get handled (payed for) through North Light?

Any clarification will be helpful as I definately don't want any commercial interuptions.

thanks
woody
Let's wait and see how many commercials you get. Then you decide if you want to pay this to have no ads coming on your video screen. The payment would go to USTREAM not Northlight. But you can trust Ustream. Many large companies use it. Presidential Campaign 2012 is using it.

Tonalist
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
thanks Jo.. I'll wait and see. are you planning on using Ustream this coming sunday?

woody

mickisew
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Looks like this announcement is posted in more than one thread. In any event, I am registered. Micki

Johannes Instructor
05-11-2012, 04:58 PM
thanks Jo.. I'll wait and see. are you planning on using Ustream this coming sunday?

woody
Yes, so we can see if you will want to pay the $3.99 for removing commercials.

mickisew
05-11-2012, 05:49 PM
I presume you will start class at 1 PM EST this Sunday. Any chance we can get a reference photo before Sunday and know which medium you will be using?

paintncook
05-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Johannes, I'm hoping this last 'freebie' will be downloadable afterwards. It will be on Mother's Day and I know that I'm being taken out to lunch and therefore will miss a significant part of the instruction. I'd hate to tell my loved ones, but I'd really prefer to stay home and do the 'art thing' than be taken out to lunch, but don't want any hurt feelings, haha.
Kathy

mickisew
05-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Johannes, I'm hoping this last 'freebie' will be downloadable afterwards. It will be on Mother's Day and I know that I'm being taken out to lunch and therefore will miss a significant part of the instruction. I'd hate to tell my loved ones, but I'd really prefer to stay home and do the 'art thing' than be taken out to lunch, but don't want any hurt feelings, haha.
Kathy

Maybe you can ask to be taken to breakfast - a very early breakfast! :)

Johannes Instructor
05-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Kathy
That is one of the reasons I dumped livestream because many of you were having problems with the video download.

paintncook
05-12-2012, 09:27 AM
[quote=Johannes Instructor]That is one of the reasons I dumped livestream because many of you were having problems with the video download.[/quote
Johannes,
But I hope we will be able to download this after the fact. Now it turns out I won't be able to watch ANY of it live as I've been scheduled to work at the hospital (I'm a CLS), and won't even be taken to lunch as formerly planned. boo hoo:crying: ]
Kathy

Johannes Instructor
05-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I presume you will start class at 1 PM EST this Sunday. Any chance we can get a reference photo before Sunday and know which medium you will be using?

No this Sunday will be at 11 AM EDT then it moves to 1 PM EDT

chalet_dor
05-13-2012, 03:06 AM
That is one of the reasons I dumped livestream because many of you were having problems with the video download.

Thank you so much! :) I am paying extra for my cable now hoping to get a better download speed............see you later today.....Dorian:crossfingers:

robert1952
05-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Happy Mother's Day all! We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for our mothers....yahoo :) :) :)

jeanetteg
05-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Hi Does anyone know where to go to download today's paint along. Unfortunatly I was not able to watch much of it today. I have already signed up for the rest of the paint alongs and want to be able to download them.

Amandine
05-13-2012, 05:08 PM
UStream never allowed me to watch the demo today. :mad: Always got the same message : this content is not available in your area due to rights restrictions :confused: What's that ?? Hey UStream, Jo is in Canada and I live in Canada too !!!
I wonder if some others have had the same issue ?

Sgourlayart
05-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Ustream was DEADstream today--on and off sound, on and off video, and on and off commercials. Livestream worked much better the past 2 Sunday sessions. Jo needs to reconsider Livestream and find a way that only the paying artist can download the video; he did it before in the early courses (landscapes, trees and buildings) and sent the link for the video in an Email to paying customers in the trees and buildings courses. Stu

paintncook
05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
I had to work today and by the time I got home could only watch the last 5 minutes before Johannes signed off. I am registered for the next paintalong sessions. I would like to download this one to watch later and hope that will be possible. for those of you whose Ustream was DEADstream, let's hope we all can download the video - and, since we are all now going to pay, let's hope the bugs are worked out of the system by next time so nobody is left with no streaming video.

Blue Ridge Painter
05-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Jo, watched the entire 7+ hours it was great to me there were problems but I am sure they will be corrected for next week, learned a great deal. See you next Sunday

Sienna black
05-13-2012, 06:51 PM
We love his classes then we should all buy the paint-a-long. We don't have to be present, we can watch the videos later. But $19.95 for 4 days of painting is peanuts and it would show Jo some appreciation. I just bought mine, who is next??????:clap:

paintncook
05-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Ustream was DEADstream today--on and off sound, on and off video, and on and off commercials. Livestream worked much better the past 2 Sunday sessions. Jo needs to reconsider Livestream and find a way that only the paying artist can download the video; he did it before in the early courses (landscapes, trees and buildings) and sent the link for the video in an Email to paying customers in the trees and buildings courses. Stu
I agree that Livestream was way better. For the very short time I got to watch after getting home from work, the commercials were very intrusive. I don't remember Livestream doing that. After finally figuring out how RealPlayer worked I had no problem downloading the video. It seems most people have problems, not because it was Livestream, but because they have such slow internet connections. I've paid for the next set of 4 paintalongs and wonder if Johannes will reconsider Ustream over Livestream.
Kathy

msparker
05-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi I painted along but video kept stopping and the only thing on my recording was one commercial, hope to download or get a finished picture of Jo's painting, to finish. but was fun. hope the paid for classes work better. thanks Jo for a wonderful day.

mickisew
05-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Hi Jo: First and foremost, I enjoyed class today and thank you. I did not keep up - wiped out and started over on the evergreens and ended up wiping out more than intended. LOL Also, I did not put snow on the mountains - a Florida thing. Anyway, I have a good start and will let it flow the rest of the way once the paint is set up - probably not exactly like yours but with your golden nuggets and advice.

I have started the download from UStream. With all the issues, let us know soonest if you will continue with UStream as I will pay the additional funds to go commercial-free. You may want to set a timer for the time restrictions of UStream. Strange - I can hear the commercials but cannot hear you speaking. Hmmmmm I just tried playing it without downloading - no sound. Anyone else having an issue?

Micki

mickisew
05-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Did a cold boot and switched to Google Chrome - still no sound.

chalet_dor
05-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi Jo: First and foremost, I enjoyed class today and thank you. I did not keep up - intended. LOL Also, I did not put snow on the mountains - a Florida thing. Anyway, I have a good start and will let it flow the rest of the way once the paint is set up - probably not exactly like yowiped out and started over on the evergreens and ended up wiping out more than urs but with your golden nuggets and advice.

I have started the download from UStream. With all the issues, let us know soonest if you will continue with UStream as I will pay the additional funds to go commercial-free. You may want to set a timer for the time restrictions of UStream. Strange - I can hear the commercials but cannot hear you speaking. Hmmmmm I just tried playing it without downloading - no sound. Anyone else having an issue?

Micki
Please tell me how and where to download the class today. I used Google Crome Browser today because it will use Real Player downloader! The only thing I was able to download were commercials:eek: My video and audo were clear but the web site UStream is a mess! I tried to pay for getting rid of comercials and it would not accept my Visa card.........I am really confused.......don't even know if that is necessary if I am going to paint along after I get the videos of the class on my PC..........no way will I be able to paint along while watching live............Oh and BTW I have paid to watch these live classes........ I feel so darm dumb! Dorian

chalet_dor
05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
We love his classes then we should all buy the paint-a-long. We don't have to be present, we can watch the videos later. But $19.95 for 4 days of painting is peanuts and it would show Jo some appreciation. I just bought mine, who is next??????:clap:
I already have! Dorian:cat:

chalet_dor
05-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Micki

video and audio were Ok..........but how in the heck are you downloading it, how, where? I have paid for the next 4 paint a longs........ Dorian

paintncook
05-13-2012, 08:34 PM
video and audio were Ok..........but how in the heck are you downloading it, how, where? I have paid for the next 4 paint a longs........ Dorian

Don't feel "dumb" Dorian, I think we are ALL having issues. Like all the rest, all that RealPlayer will record are the commercials and I don't like how the segments are broken up, each starting out with a commercial which is the only thing my recording program will record - BUMMER. I hope we can get a cleaned up, recordable version of today's paintalong, otherwise it was a "bust." AND, yes, I have paid for the next 4 Sunday's and hope I'll be able to get recordings out of it because I can't watch all four sessions. Probably only two of them will I be able to watch!!!:(
Kathy

Alta Imp
05-13-2012, 09:29 PM
I agree with some of the others, Livestream worked much better the last two Sundays, was able to finish both paintings. Started to paint a long this Sunday but had to quit shortly into it as the audio and video kept crashing. Tried to download the session but only the commercials would download. Really do appreciate all of your patience and talent Johannes and this comment is just meant to be helpful and not to criticize.

Johannes Instructor
05-13-2012, 09:31 PM
I agree that Livestream was way better. For the very short time I got to watch after getting home from work, the commercials were very intrusive. I don't remember Livestream doing that. After finally figuring out how RealPlayer worked I had no problem downloading the video. It seems most people have problems, not because it was Livestream, but because they have such slow internet connections. I've paid for the next set of 4 paintalongs and wonder if Johannes will reconsider Ustream over Livestream.
Kathy
That's because I paid for a subscription to livestream that's why the viewers did not get commercials. There is only one poblem with that. When someone adds me as as a follower they will be notified of the broadcast as soon as it starts and the program does not allow me to block that person from coming in. So what would that mean? It means that even if someone does not pay he will have access to the video feed for now. Maybe they will implement this soon. I do not have a way around it in livetream. Justin TV dumps people from overseas and wants $9.99 a month for the feed. Ustream wants $3.99 to remove commericlals which I feel is very fair. I think it is too early to assess ustream because probable those who paid $3.99 today have not had their payments processed yet and still got commericlals. I will call ustream on Monday and explain what went on.

Sgourlayart
05-13-2012, 10:14 PM
That's because I paid for a subscription to livestream that's why the viewers did not get commercials. There is only one poblem with that. When someone adds me as as a follower they will be notified of the broadcast as soon as it starts and the program does not allow me to block that person from coming in. So what would that mean? It means that even if someone does not pay he will have access to the video feed for now. Maybe they will implement this soon. I do not have a way around it in livetream. Justin TV dumps people from overseas and wants $9.99 a month for the feed. Ustream wants $3.99 to remove commericlals which I feel is very fair. I think it is too early to assess ustream because probable those who paid $3.99 today have not had their payments processed yet and still got commericlals. I will call ustream on Monday and explain what went on.Johannes, the big problem is that Ustream was NOstream and incredibly distracting; it was not just the commercials, you had trouble with the video and audio feeds as well. This was my 3rd Sunday paint along and it was by far the worst--not from the standpoint of your teaching, but rather from the plethora of technical glitches that obviously distracted you from your teaching. Other than some of the problems with Justin-TV earlier in several of the classes, this was the worst I have seen. Since I doubt you will have thousands spending 6 hours on a Sunday and jamming up the bandwidth, you may want to rethink your video vendor. These classes are so reasonably priced anyway, that you could charge a little more and get a license that covers multiple users, say up to 300 or 400, and anyone not in that first group would have to put up with the commercials. But, again, the commercials were not as bad as the sound and video glitches. I thought that it was a good session and learned some new things. Thanks. Stu

Johannes Instructor
05-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Johannes, the big problem is that Ustream was NOstream and incredibly distracting; it was not just the commercials, you had trouble with the video and audio feeds as well. This was my 3rd Sunday paint along and it was by far the worst--not from the standpoint of your teaching, but rather from the plethora of technical glitches that obviously distracted you from your teaching. Other than some of the problems with Justin-TV earlier in several of the classes, this was the worst I have seen. Since I doubt you will have thousands spending 6 hours on a Sunday and jamming up the bandwidth, you may want to rethink your video vendor. These classes are so reasonably priced anyway, that you could charge a little more and get a license that covers multiple users, say up to 300 or 400, and anyone not in that first group would have to put up with the commercials. But, again, the commercials were not as bad as the sound and video glitches. I thought that it was a good session and learned some new things. Thanks. Stu
I want to see what happens with those who paid $3.99. Once those payments are processed they will not have commerical breaks. Give me 24 hours to see what Ustream says about all this.

paintncook
05-13-2012, 10:35 PM
That's because I paid for a subscription to livestream that's why the viewers did not get commercials. There is only one poblem with that. When someone adds me as as a follower they will be notified of the broadcast as soon as it starts and the program does not allow me to block that person from coming in. So what would that mean? It means that even if someone does not pay he will have access to the video feed for now. Maybe they will implement this soon. I do not have a way around it in livetream. Justin TV dumps people from overseas and wants $9.99 a month for the feed. Ustream wants $3.99 to remove commericlals which I feel is very fair. I think it is too early to assess ustream because probable those who paid $3.99 today have not had their payments processed yet and still got commericlals. I will call ustream on Monday and explain what went on.

Thank you for explaining the problem Johannes. I didn't realize Lifestream operated in that way as I thought you changed to Ustream because people had trouble downloading the Lifestream video. I am willing to pay extra for no commercials. Is the charge for 'commercial free' charged for each session, is it for the set, or is it in perpetuity?

Now, about recording the sessions. As you know, we are not able to record today's session as all we get are the commercials and NONE of your demonstration!!

I know you are on the cutting edge of this type of instruction therefore we are all guinea pigs of a sort, you included. I appreciate all the trouble you go through every time these issues come up and hope you know that NOBODY is blaming you or being critical of you, but of the system. For those of us unable to afford workshops, can't travel long distances to get to workshops, don't have local access to the teaching talent like yours, these sessions are a godsend and, hopefully, a part of the future in teaching. Sorry we always seem to be complaining.
Kathy

chalet_dor
05-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I want to see what happens with those who paid $3.99. Once those payments are processed they will not have commerical breaks. Give me 24 hours to see what Ustream says about all this.

I tried to pay to have the commercials removed 4 different times! I have a VISA bank card I use all the time everywhere. I was told that my VISA was not a valid bank card. Also each time it was impossible for me to give my date of birth.......etc. so something was amiss!
I will probably never paint while you are on line live. I get too nervous!
But I would love to have the videos but do not know how to get them. All I could download today were comercials:eek: :mad: I am paying now an extra $35 dollars a month for better download speed. Those comercials downloaded very quickly. Must of had at least 40 of them saved to this PC

I would imagine that all that is going on is very distracting to your real live class people and to you who are teaching. Dorian

carol_lee
05-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I was one of those that had to fold after struggling for more than 2+ hours.
Also because of the new hours I will have to rely more on downloading than watching actual time... with the new setting it will start 8PM, which is Ok, but continue to 2AM +...wouldn't be able to last that long!!! so I was more disappointed that I can't download the session. I have it open, on another tab, and can see the progression but can't HEAR a thing.... when I press another section.... the commercial comes in load and clear!!! Has anyone succeeded???

chalet_dor
05-13-2012, 11:32 PM
I wonder how many people you would have watching that had not paid? [They of course would never get the video? Right?] so what if they watch for free, how does that hurt you?:confused:

My paying you is for getting an uncut video of your teaching to watch at my leisure. I think that is what most people want. Live Stream was so much better.............. Dorian

Tonalist
05-13-2012, 11:51 PM
I was more disappointed that I can't download the session. I have it open, on another tab, and can see the progression but can't HEAR a thing.... when I press another section.... the commercial comes in load and clear!!! Has anyone succeeded???

I also tried to watch and download it from Ustream.. (Had to leave a couple hours early) When I watch it there Is NO sound.. and couldn't download it.(unless you have to subscribe to ustream to dowwnload?)

woody

Tonalist
05-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Also wanted to let Jo know.. watching the class today I also had the video and audio glitches throughout the whole thing.. except when the commercials came on.. they played perfectly..

woody

Sgourlayart
05-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Also wanted to let Jo know.. watching the class today I also had the video and audio glitches throughout the whole thing.. except when the commercials came on.. they played perfectly..

woodyWouldn't want to have the commercial not come across. :eek: Everyone here, please let Jo know whether you paid the $3.99 or not. I did not and Dorian could not:envy: . I will try to download the program tonight since I was successful on the last one:crossfingers: . Stu

Sgourlayart
05-14-2012, 12:23 AM
I wonder how many people you would have watching that had not paid? [They of course would never get the video? Right?] so what if they watch for free, how does that hurt you?:confused:

My paying you is for getting an uncut video of your teaching to watch at my leisure. I think that is what most people want. Live Stream was so much better.............. DorianDITTO! :( Stu

Tonalist
05-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Stu..
If you're successful downloading the video from ustream.. I'd love to hear your process for downloading it.

woody

Rosemarie
05-14-2012, 12:42 AM
I had the sound and image problem too, all the time, but the commercials pop up just a few times. Then after 4 hours I got kicked out and had problem seeing the live streaming but finally did. I downloaded the first 3 hours but it it didn't work well at the end. Something about a script error. Now I am trying again.

I will not being able to attend the paint-along more than 2-3 hours due to time difference so a good download is what I would pay for.

MapperGis
05-14-2012, 12:52 AM
I downloaded video, however when i watched it was not the recorded class.
Something about a video game jester i think.
Anyone else have issues?
I used real player
Thanks
Lois
loved the class

carol_lee
05-14-2012, 01:26 AM
realplayer downloaded 2 segments ... but only the sound.... :( it was however Johannes speaking!!!!;)

I downloaded video, however when i watched it was not the recorded class.
Something about a video game jester i think.
Anyone else have issues?
I used real player
Thanks
Lois
loved the class

jeanetteg
05-14-2012, 01:30 AM
well I guess I'm not the only one not able to download this. I have tried twice. I was using realtime and all I got was the comercials. If anyone has figured out how do to it please let the rest of us know. I was not able to watch all of the class but what I did watch was great. Thanks Jeanette

Rosemarie
05-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Update on the download of 13 May Paint along. The first segment (3 hours) I have downloaded 2 times but it something wrong with. I looked at it in a video editor and I get this http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2012/2623-Bild_2012-05-14_kl._13.32.53.jpg

BUT you can watch it on http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wetcanvaslive1
Beware that you can't jump into the middle of the video. It is not behaving normal so you have to see it from beginning each time. I tried to pause it and that don't work either.

I also downloaded the last segment and it works fine.

Artcat369
05-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Johannes, I want to thank you for this great opportunity to paint along with you. - i learned so much! Technical glitches aside, this method of a mini-workshop via the Internet helps those of us who can't travel such distances.

For the upcoming paint-alongs, could you explain more about your painting process...your color choices (mixing, cool/warm et.c) and reasonings for putting a stroke down in a particular place (gradient planes, texture,) etc.? This would reinforce all of the principles you went over in your landscape webinars, especially for those of us who haven't yet gone through all of your earlier lessons.

Also, as paying viewers, how do we either download the workshops or record them? Thanks again - I'm looking forward to next week's workshop!:clap:

Amandine
05-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Yesterday, I was unable to access the live video. UStream didn't allow me to watch it. Something about restrictions in my area - which I don't understand. This morning, I went to Jo's website and guess what ? I can watch the recordings !! :confused: What's that ? Can't watch the live demo but can watch the recordings ???

There are 4 recordings and I tested some parts of them. All first 3 have no sound, only the last one has. I haven't tried to download anything yet. 'll see.

After reading other posts, I'm just wondering if this will be another mess. :( After all we went through with North Light, it's starting to cost : lost of time, frustration, etc.

Jo, you know how fan I am of your teaching. But, really ! this is not funny, no more for you than for us. Can you fix it ? Can we do something to help you ?

Rosemarie
05-14-2012, 08:44 AM
@Amandine - I checked and all 4 videos has sound when watching online but here and there it was a bit choppy and Johannes didn't talk all the time.

But still I think Ustream do have problems. I got kicked out once yesterday and had problems to get fully connected. For a while I only saw the chat going on.
I had an extremely good connection yesterday 2046kbps and that that is between LA and Sweden. I usually have half when checking against LA. But I still had problems.

marionh
05-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I watched some of it yesterday and it was fine (I'm in France). Unfortunately I could not watch all of it.

I went to Ustream this morning, and I can see the 4 recordings and can view them, but I can't figure out how to download as there doesn't seem to be a download button and the right hand menu does not have an option either.

Could someone please help and explain how to download them.

Rosemarie
05-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Marion - Do you have PC or Mac? Firefox, Safari, Internet explorer or Chrome?
I can help you with Mac.

marionh
05-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi Rosemarie,
I have a PC and generally use Firefox but also have IE 9.

Rosemarie
05-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi Rosemarie,
I have a PC and generally use Firefox but also have IE 9.

OK, I'll try. For Firefox I have a plug-in named Sothink web video downloader. Google for it. It is free but you'll find they have products you have to pay for too. Install it and read the instructions.

nougat
05-14-2012, 09:24 AM
i downloaded the first 4 parts of the video - twice. first in firefox +downloadhelper than in chrome +realplayer. all four are only sound. i played them in flvplayer, vlc player and realplayer. only vlc produces the sound - the other 2 - nada.

:(

this is such a pity.

Johannes, it was an excellent lesson and a beautiful painting. what a shame it was marred by all these technical glitches....:(

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Here are the instructions for downloading the recordings of the downloaded classes.
http://improvemypaintings.com/Download-Instructions.html

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Well this explinais why you paid $3.99 and the commercials continued.

Also, please be aware that Premium Membership ad-removal does not work for Ustream players embedded on other web sites. You must be watching the stream on the Ustream site.
I will correct that. Go back to improvemypaintings.com, click on Watch Free Live class. Then click on "Go to Video". If you paid the $3.99 you should be commerical free. Please let me know if this now works for you. Make sure you are logged into Ustream.

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 10:33 AM
I contacted USTREAM and got some recommendations. I want to invite you all again on Wednesday 1 PM EDT to watch me do another painiting. It will only be a couple of hours. This is to work out the bugs in UStream. Just go to "Watch Free live Class" at improvemypaintings.com. Make sure your reboot your computer, no one else is using the internet, and install the latest Adobe Flash Media here:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/.

Sgourlayart
05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
I contacted USTREAM and got some recommendations. I want to invite you all again on Wednesday 1 PM EDT to watch me do another painiting. It will only be a couple of hours. This is to work out the bugs in UStream. Just go to "Watch Free live Class" at improvemypaintings.com. Make sure your reboot your computer, no one else is using the internet, and install the latest Adobe Flash Media here:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/. This is good news, Jo. I will try to make it. Please post for all of us how to do this for the Sunday paint alongs. Let us know if we need to pay the $3.99 and when, how best to download, including best browser(s) and downloader(s). I guess I shouldn't ask this, because I already know you will do it. Thanks, and it sounds like we are off to another painting adventure. Which day of the week do you take off to be with your family and not all your students? Stu

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Here is the finished painting from Last Sunday Paint Along.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2012/135220-IMG_7772.jpg

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 11:03 AM
This is good news, Jo. I will try to make it. Please post for all of us how to do this for the Sunday paint alongs. Let us know if we need to pay the $3.99 and when, how best to download, including best browser(s) and downloader(s). I guess I shouldn't ask this, because I already know you will do it. Thanks, and it sounds like we are off to another painting adventure. Which day of the week do you take off to be with your family and not all your students? Stu
Download instructions are above.

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 11:04 AM
This is good news, Jo. I will try to make it. Please post for all of us how to do this for the Sunday paint alongs. Let us know if we need to pay the $3.99 and when, how best to download, including best browser(s) and downloader(s). I guess I shouldn't ask this, because I already know you will do it. Thanks, and it sounds like we are off to another painting adventure. Which day of the week do you take off to be with your family and not all your students? Stu
Pay the $3.99 please. In any case if we go to another broadcasting system I will throw in an extra class to compensate. (This applies to those who pay $19.99 for the 4 classes).

Rosemarie
05-14-2012, 11:17 AM
How will the recording be done? I'd love to participate but I will have to rely on the recordings. It is the time difference that will force me to leave for bed after only 3 hours. The Ustream downloads are not very successful. Only 2 or 3 have image and only 2 have sound worth anything. The rest are not good.

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
How will the recording be done? I'd love to participate but I will have to rely on the recordings. It is the time difference that will force me to leave for bed after only 3 hours. The Ustream downloads are not very successful. Only 2 or 3 have image and only 2 have sound worth anything. The rest are not good.
They get posted. But this only applies to those who pay the $19.99
But you can get the freebe from last Sunday. Here are the download instructions:

nougat
05-14-2012, 11:31 AM

thank you johannes - you are extremely generous. i will sign up for the 4 paintalongs in a while when i've got all the chores done.
thank you.
:)

nougat
05-14-2012, 12:03 PM
um um... i've spent the last half hour trying to figure out orbit downloader..it is very complicated - despite the instructions...:( help anyone??

Rosemarie
05-14-2012, 12:12 PM
They get posted. But this only applies to those who pay the $19.99
But you can get the freebe from last Sunday. Here are the download instructions:
Thank you Johannes! Even though I can't use your instructions the downloads seem to work bette. Probably have they woken up at Ustream. I presume they are in California and 9 hour "behind" me.

I will sign up for the Paint Alongs right now!.

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Thank you Johannes! Even though I can't use your instructions the downloads seem to work bette. Probably have they woken up at Ustream. I presume they are in California and 9 hour "behind" me.

I will sign up for the Paint Alongs right now!.
Where are you stuck?

Rosemarie
05-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Where are you stuck?
I am not stuck. The downloads I did earlier today didn't come out alright. I seem to get better result the last 1,5 hour. I am glad I have 6 month full computer education. Now I will try for a third time the first 3 hour segment and see if I can get it to work.
I have signed up. I am very addicted to your classes.:heart:

mickisew
05-14-2012, 12:41 PM

I will join in if at all possible. I know this is frustrating, and you have a better nature than most. :) Having taken on-line classes from other artists, this is not unusual to have issues at the onset. It will work out. See you Wednesday.

Micki

Rosemarie
05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
i downloaded the first 4 parts of the video - twice. first in firefox +downloadhelper than in chrome +realplayer. all four are only sound. i played them in flvplayer, vlc player and realplayer. only vlc produces the sound - the other 2 - nada.

:(

this is such a pity.

Johannes, it was an excellent lesson and a beautiful painting. what a shame it was marred by all these technical glitches....:(

Nougat, try again to download. I am getting much better result now that California has waken up. Earlier they were sleeping. Even the first problematic one is behaing better on the site and I am now downloading it again.:crossfingers:

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Because some of your are struggling, I made a tutorial video on how to download the recorded class from the Paint Along.

http://youtu.be/8icpMHxw00o

spudsmom
05-14-2012, 01:31 PM
So do I understand this correctly? If we are recording live stream we have to use real player and if we are recording Ustream we have to use something called orbit to download? Maybe this is where some of the confusion came from yesterday?

I was with you from the beginning to the very end yesterday Jo. It was awesome and I have a fairly good painting for a beginner! I was exhausted after about 5 hours so I wonder how you guys do this every Sunday...don't you get tired?

For about the first 2 to 3 hours I didn't get a commercial one.. and then the system shut down, when I reloaded I got the commercials. I hadn't paid to eliminate them because I thought we were trying to see how bad they were. They were bad and loud compared to your voice. Scared the soup out me a couple of times when I was painting and not looking at the screen.

I am signing up for the four Sundays and will hopefully up my endurance. I know my painting will improve loads because it already has!

Thank you for your lessons. Still trying to figure out if I can come to Acadia... Have asked for it for my birthday, just trying to get it off school because that is my last school day. Will let you know.
Sherri

mickisew
05-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Purchased the premium plan from UStream. We shall see how all works out on Wednesday. Have a good day, Jo.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 01:49 PM
So do I understand this correctly? If we are recording live stream we have to use real player and if we are recording Ustream we have to use something called orbit to download? Maybe this is where some of the confusion came from yesterday?

I was with you from the beginning to the very end yesterday Jo. It was awesome and I have a fairly good painting for a beginner! I was exhausted after about 5 hours so I wonder how you guys do this every Sunday...don't you get tired?

For about the first 2 to 3 hours I didn't get a commercial one.. and then the system shut down, when I reloaded I got the commercials. I hadn't paid to eliminate them because I thought we were trying to see how bad they were. They were bad and loud compared to your voice. Scared the soup out me a couple of times when I was painting and not looking at the screen.

I am signing up for the four Sundays and will hopefully up my endurance. I know my painting will improve loads because it already has!

Thank you for your lessons. Still trying to figure out if I can come to Acadia... Have asked for it for my birthday, just trying to get it off school because that is my last school day. Will let you know.
Sherri
Never mind realplayer for now. That was applicable to a different system which I cannot use. Sorry for the confusion. Just follow these instructions to download yesterday's videos.

http://youtu.be/8icpMHxw00o (http://youtu.be/8icpMHxw00o)

spudsmom
05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I can't figure out where to sign up to pay for the $3.99 to get rid of the commercials. I did sign in to Ustream with my account but all i'm getting is broadcaster fees...

Does someone have the link for the payment for commercial free downloads?

Thanks,
Sherri

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Purchased the premium plan from UStream. We shall see how all works out on Wednesday. Have a good day, Jo.

Micki
Try it now. Tell me if you get commercials here:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wetcanvaslive1
Play the thumbnails

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I can't figure out where to sign up to pay for the $3.99 to get rid of the commercials. I did sign in to Ustream with my account but all i'm getting is broadcaster fees...

Does someone have the link for the payment for commercial free downloads?

Thanks,
Sherri

https://www.ustream.tv/premium-membership

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 01:59 PM
um um... i've spent the last half hour trying to figure out orbit downloader..it is very complicated - despite the instructions...:( help anyone??
Instructions to download the recordings Click here (http://improvemypaintings.com/Download-Instructions.html). (Text only)
Instructions to download the recordings Click here. (http://youtu.be/8icpMHxw00o) (Video tutorial)

mickisew
05-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Play the thumbnails

Hi Jo: I went to the video and it did not open with a commercial as it did before the purchase.

I am d/l'ing the first part of the class yesterday now - slow - but that is the way it is. Still no sound on the first one - the drawing. That's okay. Mine is different than yours. LOL

Have a nice day.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi Jo: I went to the video and it did not open with a commercial as it did before the purchase.

I am d/l'ing the first part of the class yesterday now - slow - but that is the way it is. Still no sound on the first one - the drawing. That's okay. Mine is different than yours. LOL

Have a nice day.

Micki

There ya go. Make sure you install the latest Adobe Flash Media
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/. (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/.)
Could you please tell me if you get commercials at this link mickie?
http://improvemypaintings.com/UstreamLiveVideo.html

GoldenRetriever
05-14-2012, 02:13 PM
I followed Jo's instructions, and at first it did not work, but then I noticed in my installation of Orbit, that it only had one browser option IE in the start menu, though I had clicked on Firefox, Chrome, and IE for installation. Go figure :confused: . Anyway, I tried Jo's instructions again using IE, and success.

For playback, I found RealPlayer was not able to move about the video. It would just pause and say "searching" when I wanted to skip to another part :mad: . Adobe flash player worked like a charm for play back.

So here's to picking back up somewhere in the middle of part 2 and finishing the painting.

Thanks Jo for the hard work getting the down load instructions shared!

Ann

paintncook
05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Play the thumbnails

Clicking on the above link doesn't do anything for me - it never opens. How are other people getting the downloads? I got the Orbit downloader as suggested by Johannes. I'm not so worried about this demo, but have paid for the next 4 and need to be able to download them.

mickisew
05-14-2012, 02:30 PM
There ya go. Make sure you install the latest Adobe Flash Media
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/. (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/.)
Could you please tell me if you get commercials at this link mickie?
http://improvemypaintings.com/UstreamLiveVideo.html

I get auto updates on Flash, Reader and Elements 9. I should be in good shape.

Micki

mickisew
05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Clicking on the above link doesn't do anything for me - it never opens. How are other people getting the downloads? I got the Orbit downloader as suggested by Johannes. I'm not so worried about this demo, but have paid for the next 4 and need to be able to download them.

Did you d/l instructions? See message 78 above.

spudsmom
05-14-2012, 02:45 PM
https://www.ustream.tv/premium-membership
Thank you! It's done now!

Sherri

paintncook
05-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Did you d/l instructions? See message 78 above.
I read Johannes' instructions. The problem was the site never opened using IE. I switched to Chrome and it would open. However, Orbit downloader wouldn't operate like Johannes' version of it. Nothing showed in the Grabit window. I had to rush off to work so no time to fiddle with it. I just hope I figure this all out before the paid for demos start. Ever since downloading Orbit downloader my computer has slowed down to a snails pace. I think I have too much junk in it at this point.
Kathy

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I read Johannes' instructions. The problem was the site never opened using IE. I switched to Chrome and it would open. However, Orbit downloader wouldn't operate like Johannes' version of it. Nothing showed in the Grabit window. I had to rush off to work so no time to fiddle with it. I just hope I figure this all out before the paid for demos start. Ever since downloading Orbit downloader my computer has slowed down to a snails pace. I think I have too much junk in it at this point.
Kathy
The paid classes is another issue because Northlight will give the link to download on their servers.

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Kathy
Install it again and let it install on Firefox browser which is better than IE anyway and more recommended to play streaming videos.

mickisew
05-14-2012, 06:54 PM
The paid classes is another issue because Northlight will give the link to download on their servers.

Are you saying that the downloads will be posted in our account at Northlight to download like other previously purchased classes? If so, that will be great. We won't have to play the videos to download them.

Micki

Amandine
05-14-2012, 07:33 PM
... ... However, Orbit downloader wouldn't operate like Johannes' version of it. Nothing showed in the Grabit window. ... ...
Kathy
For me too, nothing showed in the Grab++ window. I'm on Google Chrome.

Install it again and let it install on Firefox browser which is better than IE anyway and more recommended to play streaming videos.
Now, I should install Firefox ??

Johannes Instructor
05-14-2012, 09:45 PM
For me too, nothing showed in the Grab++ window. I'm on Google Chrome.

Now, I should install Firefox ??
Amadine Please type a message in this forum at Ustream about the message you got when you tried to play the video. They want to know what happened
http://community.ustream.tv/ustream/topics/this_content_is_not_available?do=reply&utm_content=reply_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification&what=reply_8891060#reply_8891060

Sgourlayart
05-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Are you saying that the downloads will be posted in our account at Northlight to download like other previously purchased classes? If so, that will be great. We won't have to play the videos to download them.

MickiJo, if this is what you are doing, having NL shop handle the downloads, then why don't you just use Justin-TV and Livestream as you have been doing for the other classes? Ustream really is obnoxious and downloading seems to be a huge problem. As long as the NL shop gets the links right and doesn't take 2 to 3 months to release the videos, this should work out. So what if somebody paints along for free but can't get the video to review? As Dor said, most people just want a video that they can play at their choice of time. Stu

chalet_dor
05-14-2012, 11:19 PM
For right now I give up! Received a new external hard drive today, and right after I plugged it in it crashed, gets returned tomorrow. Have spent the day installing, uninstalling stuff. So afraid that this PC is going to crash. It almost did the other day and I saved it with a system restore from back in Dec 6, 2011. That was a very close call. I am exhausted and so give up until I get this PC backed up on a new External Drive. PS I was never able to Grab it! so have uninstalled that software which was full of junk programs unless you did a custom install. This is a HP desk top, not a year old, 64 bit with windows 7...........Dorian:crying:

paintncook
05-14-2012, 11:40 PM
For right now I give up! Received a new external hard drive today, and right after I plugged it in it crashed, gets returned tomorrow. Have spent the day installing, uninstalling stuff. So afraid that this PC is going to crash. It almost did the other day and I saved it with a system restore from back in Dec 6, 2011. That was a very close call. I am exhausted and so give up until I get this PC backed up on a new External Drive. PS I was never able to Grab it! so have uninstalled that software which was full of junk programs unless you did a custom install. This is a HP desk top, not a year old, 64 bit with windows 7...........Dorian:crying:
I'm with you. All that new software did was slow my computer down to snails pace and couldn't grab anything - kept saying it couldn't find the URL. I have a year old HP laptop with Windows 7 also. I just hope it doesn't take Northlight months to offer the downloads. I like watching it live, but I can't do it but half the time anyway.

Johannes Instructor
05-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Jo, if this is what you are doing, having NL shop handle the downloads, then why don't you just use Justin-TV and Livestream as you have been doing for the other classes? Ustream really is obnoxious and downloading seems to be a huge problem. As long as the NL shop gets the links right and doesn't take 2 to 3 months to release the videos, this should work out. So what if somebody paints along for free but can't get the video to review? As Dor said, most people just want a video that they can play at their choice of time. Stu
for this reason
1. Livestream worked because I paid $45.00 for commerical free feed 1 month. I have no problem paying that but... I cannot lock out people who do not pay the fee. If they add me as a follower they will know I am broadcasting and watch while some og you pay. They ignored my request to add a password to the video feed.
2. Justin TV kicks people from overseas out.
3. I won't agree for NL to host the videos if they take that long. If they don't upload them within 3 days then this paint along will not work because the people want to finish their paintings.
4. I found out Ustream has very good customer service and they do answer your concerns. All you have to do is log into Ustream and indicate the problem. I just learned today why some of you had lagging problems. They are recommending twice as much download speed as I upload. Now knowing that I will drop the bitrate some more fo this Wednesday freebie and see what happens. If you have about 1.5 MB download speed and are still getting a choppy video then submit a complaint here:
http://community.ustream.tv/ustream

Q: Why does the video look choppy?

I am experiencing "lag", or the video is "pausing" or "stop and go...

There are many possible causes of this:

The most common is insufficient bandwidth on the broadcaster's side or on the viewer's side.
To see what your bandwidth is, go to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest) and click "Los Angeles" We recommend having an upload speed of 1-2Mbps for broadcasting, and a download speed of at least 1Mbps for smooth playback. You may be able to broadcast and watch with download speeds much less than these, but some broadcasts have very high bitrates and in order to watch them, you will need a faster connection.

Another possible cause of choppiness or pausing playback could be insufficient CPU resources on the broadcaster's or the viewer's side. Older computers' graphic cards may have a difficult time encoding and decoding live and recorded video. We recommend shutting down all other applications and browser tabs / windows while broadcasting and viewing if you are experiencing playback problems.

chalet_dor
05-15-2012, 12:54 AM
To see what your bandwidth is, go to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and click "Los Angeles" We recommend having an upload speed of 1-2Mbps for broadcasting, and a download speed of at least 1Mbps for smooth playback. I just took the test, and though I live in Florida, I used LosAngeles............results were
download speed 12.91 MBPS and upload speed 4.52..............dorian

Rosemarie
05-15-2012, 01:03 AM
OK, I have posted on ustream. Any one who wants to do the same can add their comments to my posting named Choppy on off.

Rosemarie
05-15-2012, 01:09 AM
To see what your bandwidth is, go to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and click "Los Angeles" We recommend having an upload speed of 1-2Mbps for broadcasting, and a download speed of at least 1Mbps for smooth playback. I just took the test, and though I live in Florida, I used LosAngeles............results were
download speed 12.91 MBPS and upload speed 4.52..............dorian

Wow, that is fast. I can't get faster than 2 mbps due to old telephone lines. But I had that to LA on sunday.

Amandine
05-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Amadine Please type a message in this forum at Ustream about the message you got when you tried to play the video. They want to know what happened
http://community.ustream.tv/ustream/topics/this_content_is_not_available?do=reply&utm_content=reply_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification&what=reply_8891060#reply_8891060
I contacted UStream in the afternoon, yesterday. I'm already in touch with one of the guy there. Hope they'll find a solution. Thanks Jo.

Amandine
05-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Jo, I'd like to clarify something about the paint-along classes. Never, I will watch a 6 hour video on a Sunday afternoon. This is the one and only time of the week my husband and I can go out together. I may just catch a 30-45 minutes to look at what's going on.

My main concern is about downloading the videos so that I can watch them during the week, when I feel - and have time - to paint. Here's my question : if they are on sale through North Light, will it be possible to download them with RealPlayer ? If so, good, I'll registered. If we have to download them through Orbit, well then, could you explain how we can use that "Grab++" because it doesn't work. It looks also that I'm not the only one having this trouble.

Again, thanks for your help. I know you do your best to help everyone but, I want to stop downloading and downloading to get nothing at the end. I don't want to give-up now but I'm not sure at all I'll register !!

Johannes Instructor
05-15-2012, 09:03 AM
I am working on a possible solution for easy download

Johannes Instructor
05-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Jo, I'd like to clarify something about the paint-along classes. Never, I will watch a 6 hour video on a Sunday afternoon. This is the one and only time of the week my husband and I can go out together. I may just catch a 30-45 minutes to look at what's going on.

My main concern is about downloading the videos so that I can watch them during the week, when I feel - and have time - to paint. Here's my question : if they are on sale through North Light, will it be possible to download them with RealPlayer ? If so, good, I'll registered. If we have to download them through Orbit, well then, could you explain how we can use that "Grab++" because it doesn't work. It looks also that I'm not the only one having this trouble.

Again, thanks for your help. I know you do your best to help everyone but, I want to stop downloading and downloading to get nothing at the end. I don't want to give-up now but I'm not sure at all I'll register !!

The vidoes will not be for sale on Northlight. You will only getting them by paying the fee for the course to have access to the download.

I found an efficient way to download easily http://improvemypaintings.com/DownloadRecordings.html (ftp://improvemypaintings.com/DownloadRecordings.html) You will need to loginto Ustream first with
user: wetcanvaslive
password: Monet2012This is a very goodplayer for this video format and it is free.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)

Sgourlayart
05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Good news! I figured out a way for you to easily download the recordings.

http://improvemypaintings.com/DownloadRecordings.html
This is a very good player for this video format and it is free.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) Jo, unfortunately each link takes me directly to the Ustream sign up and login page and does not download anything. The reason you can download from the click is that you paid Ustream. I have 4 bucks, plenty of bandwidth (over 5Mbps), plenty of memory and processor speed , but Ustream still looked pretty awful to me last Sunday. I will keep at it. Stu

Johannes Instructor
05-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Jo, unfortunately each link takes me directly to the Ustream sign up and login page and does not download anything. The reason you can download from the click is that you paid Ustream. I have 4 bucks, plenty of bandwidth (over 5Mbps), plenty of memory and processor speed , but Ustream still looked pretty awful to me last Sunday. I will keep at it. Stu
Here is an easy way to download the videos from last Sunday:
http://improvemypaintings.com/DownloadRecordings.html (ftp://improvemypaintings.com/DownloadRecordings.html) (ftp://improvemypaintings.com/DownloadRecordings.html)
You will need to loginto Ustream first with
password: Monet2012
This is a very goodplayer for this video format and it is free.

Johannes Instructor
05-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Jo, unfortunately each link takes me directly to the Ustream sign up and login page and does not download anything. The reason you can download from the click is that you paid Ustream. I have 4 bucks, plenty of bandwidth (over 5Mbps), plenty of memory and processor speed , but Ustream still looked pretty awful to me last Sunday. I will keep at it. Stu
I found an efficient way to download easily http://improvemypaintings.com/DownloadRecordings.html (ftp://improvemypaintings.com/DownloadRecordings.html) You will need to loginto Ustream first with
password: Monet2012This is a very goodplayer for this video format and it is free.

paintncook
05-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Johannes and all,
I am going to have to delete ORBIT downloader from my PC unless someone knows how I can disable it until I need it. I find it interferes with downloading anything else. When I open a downloadable file from my email ORBIT wants to download it and it can't download those files correctly. I get downloads with pictures in them and it won't download the pictures, Grrrr....
The pdf files pop up without the pictures because ORBIT has done the download. This is NOT acceptable!!!

chalet_dor
05-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Dont't delete Orbit. You will screw up your PC worse than it is.
You must uninstall it!!!!!!!! write me [email protected] ([email protected]) and I will explain how to do that........Dorian

paintncook
05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Dont't delete Orbit. You will screw up your PC worse than it is.
You must uninstall it!!!!!!!! write me [email protected] ([email protected]) and I will explain how to do that........Dorian
Thanks Dorian, but I already knew you have to uninstall and that deleting does nothing. I already uninstalled ORBIT after seeing no way of getting it to stop doing its thing. Now my computer is fast again and I can download my pictures normally from my email! Johannes said he found another way for us and for us to get rid of ORBIT - Amen to that!!!

Johannes Instructor
05-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks Dorian, but I already knew you have to uninstall and that deleting does nothing. I already uninstalled ORBIT after seeing no way of getting it to stop doing its thing. Now my computer is fast again and I can download my pictures normally from my email! Johannes said he found another way for us and for us to get rid of ORBIT - Amen to that!!!
Download this way

nougat
05-15-2012, 01:26 PM
johannes - i am sorry - but these links all just download as a text file called 'signin text'.

Johannes Instructor
05-15-2012, 02:05 PM
johannes - i am sorry - but these links all just download as a text file called 'signin text'.
You have to log in with the user name and password first and use the same browser for the right click.

Password: Monet2012 (capital letter on the M)

nougat
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
thank you jo - that worked fine and the videos are downloading.
i really appreciate all the trouble you're taking with this. it must be sooo frustrating to be constantly battling technical problems. the paintalongs are fantastic. i sooo hope you find a way to deal with these glitches. i love following the classes but 6 hours is a long haul which means the downloads are super important.
thank you :)

nougat
05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
DORIAN
thank you so much for your offer of help with the orbit downloader uninstall.

after leaving what was an unresponsive uninstaller for half an hour...it UNINSTALLED!! YAY!!!

paintncook
05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Download this way

BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!:clap: I tried this and it works beautifully - so simple, so EASY!!! LOVE IT!!:thumbsup:

chalet_dor
05-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Download this way

Yes it worked, used Chrome Browser and logged in with the new credentials, then went to the above URL and I clicked each link and saved as..........they all downloaded...........Wonderful. Thank you..........Dorian:clap: :smug:

Amandine
05-15-2012, 02:35 PM
My god, I can't believe it !! I just downloaded part 1 of the May 13 demo to Real Player. It went well. Tried to play it and it plays correctly !!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I'll download the other parts tonight.

Jo, I'm still waiting for an answer from UStream about the issue I have with the live video. After 24 hours, nothing. This is not such a fast customer service. Really strange that I can watch the recordings but not the live one.

If I register, will the recordings be accessible the same way as with your most recent instructions, I mean :

To download the recorded videos of the Paint Along Class just right click on each of these links, select "Save Target as"
and save to your hard drive.
First you will need to log in to ustream with these codes

May 13 Paint Along Part 1
May 13 Paint Along Part 2, etc. etc.

If so, count me in. :crossfingers:

Amandine
05-15-2012, 02:39 PM
JO, YOU NEVER LET US DOWN. YOU'RE MORE THAN FANTASTIC. :heart:

Johannes Instructor
05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
My god, I can't believe it !! I just downloaded part 1 of the May 13 demo to Real Player. It went well. Tried to play it and it plays correctly !!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I'll download the other parts tonight.

Jo, I'm still waiting for an answer from UStream about the issue I have with the live video. After 24 hours, nothing. This is not such a fast customer service. Really strange that I can watch the recordings but not the live one.

If I register, will the recordings be accessible the same way as with your most recent instructions, I mean :

To download the recorded videos of the Paint Along Class just right click on each of these links, select "Save Target as"
and save to your hard drive.
First you will need to log in to ustream with these codes

May 13 Paint Along Part 1
May 13 Paint Along Part 2, etc. etc.

If so, count me in. :crossfingers:
yes you know you can count on me for getting the recordings. Have I ever let you down? LOL

Tonalist
05-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Jo... I signed up for the 4 sundays..
Signed up for Ustream.. and your download instructions worked GREAT!
I use a player other than Real Player.. everything plays just fine

are we still on for weds.?
Thank you..

woody

paskavau
05-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Everything seems to become fine! I signed in for the paint-alongs and I'm shure this will be an exciting chance for me to learn and to have fun.

Amandine
05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm finally done with the downloading of May 13 demo. Fiou !! (this is the sound of a big sigh of relief ... in french) :)

Amandine
05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered tonight for the coming paint along classes. See you there ... :wave:

mariann1234
05-15-2012, 10:23 PM
I too tried to download from ustream using Real Player and only downloaded the commercials.
:wave:

nougat
05-15-2012, 10:43 PM
thank goodnes Johannes gave us an easy peasy way of downloading!!! (withOUT ustream and orbit) :)

Jean50
05-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah... all down loaded. So easy, AFTER I signed up for no commercials. Had trouble before I signed up. Sometimes it would down load and sometimes not. FYI......I did have trouble signing up, like someone else did, with them not wanting to accept my Visa Card. They said it wasn't a valid card. ? I used a Mastercard and it worked fine. Thank YOU Johannes for your wonderful teaching. You are a master at teaching Art, and how to help us, who don't know a lot about computers, to do what we need to do to get your wonderful instructions. Thank you and Thank you again!

beart
05-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I only had problems with Orbit so I took it off because internet kept closing and my security said poisoning so I took it off and after fixing everything I'm going to just try it again with Real Player as usual. I had no problems with livestream.

nougat
05-16-2012, 02:36 PM
i'm watching johannes's paintalong demo trial right now and it's almost PERFECT.

i've registered for the paintalongs :) :) :) yay!!! Johannes has ironed out the glitches!!!

kathart
05-16-2012, 02:37 PM
registered and looking forward to the paint along classes- haven't had any problems with the format in the preview. thanks Johannes.

Blue Ridge Painter
05-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Jo, todays demo was great I had no problems and I hope that the people that got discouraged with Sunday will not give up , Jo has spent a lot of time and effort to bring this to us don't give up yet.

Rosemarie
05-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Yes, it was working so much better today! Do join the Paint along if you are interested. It will be fun.

LadyMadonna
05-16-2012, 03:14 PM
I was in the demo class today and all is well . Johannes has given so much to each of us that I am joining the Sunday paintalongs and hope to see you there!

hewill4giveu
05-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Well guess im just out of luck i have done everything loaded the players updated everything . I tried to sign in using wetcanvaslive and Monet2012 all i get is invalid password or username. I have tried to play the ustream videos and they are blotchy green and other colors and broken. Same problem i had while trying to participate. Thought the download would be better but its not. I have never in a year and half had these problems like this. SIGH i know its not you Joe UStream. No need of buying the videos if they wont work now they wont work later i guess for me.
Will keep trying maybe something will give

sue.w
05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Well guess im just out of luck i have done everything loaded the players updated everything . I tried to sign in using wetcanvaslive and Monet2012 all i get is invalid password or username. I have tried to play the ustream videos and they are blotchy green and other colors and broken

Teresa - If you go to Ustream.com can you see the videos clearly on their homepage or is the viewing still broken & blotchy?

gourdalicious
05-16-2012, 04:05 PM
It may be because Jo had to change his login and password during the demo as there were so many people signed on using his, he could not broadcast as well as he wanted. Which by the way was excellent as usual. I have not experienced the issues so many are having difficulty with, other than on that one Saturday class. The occasional stutter due to being out in the boonies using a monopoly service, but nothing at all to complain about. Totally awesome instructor, mentor and tech wiz!!

HazelP
05-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Another wonderfull class watching Jo's Panpastel techniques. Now to try to produce something like it for myself!

These classes are tops. My painting has improved so much. My family are exclaiming over the latest paint alongs and say they are the best I have done.

The 6 hour classes give plenty of time to paint along with Jo and I would thoroughly recommend signing up for the following few weeks paint alongs - they will be well worth the few dollars spent!!!

paintncook
05-16-2012, 04:20 PM
I only had problems with Orbit so I took it off because internet kept closing and my security said poisoning so I took it off and after fixing everything I'm going to just try it again with Real Player as usual. I had no problems with livestream.
Yes, so glad Johannes figured out an easy way. Orbit was almost like a virus in my computer, slowing it down to a standstill and taking it over so that I couldn't even download pictures from my regular email. I was thinking I'd have to give up Johannes and that would have been a tragedy!!!

HazelP
05-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah... all down loaded. So easy, AFTER I signed up for no commercials. Had trouble before I signed up. Sometimes it would down load and sometimes not. FYI......I did have trouble signing up, like someone else did, with them not wanting to accept my Visa Card. They said it wasn't a valid card. ? I used a Mastercard and it worked fine. Thank YOU Johannes for your wonderful teaching. You are a master at teaching Art, and how to help us, who don't know a lot about computers, to do what we need to do to get your wonderful instructions. Thank you and Thank you again!

For those having trouble with the site not taking visa just change the option to some other card then back to visa - that worked for me.

robert1952
05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
I used a visa, site wouldn,t accept it, clicked on MC, and the site accepted it....go figure.

Johannes Instructor
05-16-2012, 05:19 PM
So those who paid $3.99 you did not get the ads right?

russellh9
05-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi Joe. Saw your painting demo with PanPastels today. Love the way they blend and look like oils. Just wanted to say that the video quality was very good and it did not stutter or pause. The video was very smooth.
Thanks
Russ

hewill4giveu
05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Teresa - If you go to Ustream.com can you see the videos clearly on their homepage or is the viewing still broken & blotchy?

Sue i went there and thats where i see the one sunday blotchy. Now the one today was coming in well LOL keyboard and all LOL. But i have went to Joes sight that leads you to ustream. I click on the videos as they said . Then it asks to sign in so i sign in with the wetcanvaslive/Monet2012
and all it says is invalid id or password.
So i went to just play it and try to download it with the player he has us download and get a green blotcy broken video.
Just disappointed i know this isnt joe its with Ustream but i really wanted to follow along. I was going good sunday after i rebooted 4 times. Then my goofy wifi battery died and when i went to get back in it was a mess and rebooting did nothing. SIGH So i will just try to follow the photos of the finished product . Know i missed a lot especially grasses. I won't defeated i will try to do it anyway.

mickisew
05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Jo: I paid the $3.99 and did get a couple of commercials. I have contacted UStream and have yet to get a response. I can live with a couple of commercials, but I would prefer none. In any event, I look forward to the Sunday paint-alongs. Thank you for the demo today. The reference photo is really great - may try it. Will you make the recording available (today's demo)? Again, thank you for all your patience. Micki

Johannes Instructor
05-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Jo: I paid the $3.99 and did get a couple of commercials. I have contacted UStream and have yet to get a response. I can live with a couple of commercials, but I would prefer none. In any event, I look forward to the Sunday paint-alongs. Thank you for the demo today. The reference photo is really great - may try it. Will you make the recording available (today's demo)? Again, thank you for all your patience. Micki You are not supposed to get any. You need to log into Ustream first and then open a second browser window to watch my video.

mickisew
05-16-2012, 08:08 PM
You are not supposed to get any. You need to log into Ustream first and then open a second browser window to watch my video.

Now I know where I went wrong. The answer from Ustream "... You should log into the Ustream site first at www.ustream.tv (http://www.ustream.tv), find your desired broadcast, and then pop out the chat feature if you would like to use multiple browsers."

I did log into Ustream, but I went to the broadcast through IMP. Now I know. :)

mickisew
05-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Computers have a mind and personality of their own. As for my PC, the issue was Real Player. My internet connection kept crashing when I tried to download the videos. After uninstalling Real Player, the video downloads were a breeze. Per your advice, I downloaded and installed VLC. Not only does the video play, the video has audio. Obviously, I am a happy camper.

Now, is it Sunday yet? LOL Oh, wait - we get a Jo fix on Saturday.

Again, Johannes, thank you for your patience in assisting us with everything. We appreciate you - I know you feel the love!

Micki

pamshowcase
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Just want to give a big thank you Jo for being persistant to solve the technical challenges. Class went great today, Ustream was fine and no commercials! All you have to do is follow his directions to have a great experience and learn so much about painting. And I do use a Mifi wireless as we are RVers and have been wireless for some time. See you all this weekend
Pam

CatherineOnTheLake
05-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I was in the Wed. May 16 demo class today and am pleased that so many technical issues have been resolved. It was a wonderful experience today and Johannes' pastel painting was beautiful. Thank you so much Johannes for everything! We should be "good to go" now.

Does anyone know how I might be able to access the download for the April 22 paint-a-long? I tried many times to download it unsuccessfully. Now that things have been resolved I have been able to download May 13 and want to retry April 22 but it is nowhere to be found! Ideas?

gourdalicious
05-16-2012, 09:16 PM
April 22nd was not captured. I had asked the same question back then.

gourdalicious
05-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Catherine....oops...my bad! Was thinking of the wrong paint a long. :eek:

HazelP
05-16-2012, 09:47 PM

No adds once I logged in.

CatherineOnTheLake
05-16-2012, 10:14 PM

I can't answer that one because I am only getting occasional ads - maybe only 3 in total today so I didn't bother paying to avoid them.

spudsmom
05-17-2012, 07:42 AM
I was able to sign in for a short time yesterday, not because of Jo but because I had to pick up my daughter at work. So I think I know why I got the ads.

I went through Improvemypaintings.com to sign in.

I should have found Ustream.com and logged in under my name and password first.

Then I would have needed to find Jo's presentation on Ustream.

Am I correct in thinking the above is the correct method for successful ad free painting demos?

We are so well trained to enter from Improvemypainting.com that I think I just went on autopilot!

Oh by the way, I was sitting in the car, picking up wireless and watching...which if you think about was pretty amazing!

Sherri

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2012, 08:24 AM
I was able to sign in for a short time yesterday, not because of Jo but because I had to pick up my daughter at work. So I think I know why I got the ads.

Am I correct in thinking the above is the correct method for successful ad free painting demos?

We are so well trained to enter from Improvemypainting.com that I think I just went on autopilot!

Oh by the way, I was sitting in the car, picking up wireless and watching...which if you think about was pretty amazing!

Sherri 100% correct. Ustream needs to detect who you are to remove ads. How would it know if you just click on my video link and not be logged in.

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Here is the painting from Wednesday 17's demo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2012/135220-IMG_7774.jpg

Sgourlayart
05-17-2012, 09:35 AM

SherriSherry, if you have paid the $3.99, the easiest way to get to commercial free Ustream to watch Jo's video, is the following (try it out to be sure it works for you before Sunday's class): GO TO JO'S WEBSITE; CLICK ON THE WATCH LIVE VIDEO; THEN CLICK ON GO TO VIDEO; NOW CLICK ON LOGIN ON THE USTREAM SITE (UPPER RIGHT CORNER NEXT TO "Go Live!" BUTTON) AND SIGN IN; BINGO!, YOU ARE IN COMMERCIAL FREE VIDEO FROM USTREAM (YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME WHERE THE 'Login|Sign Up' TAB WAS. In my opinion, this is the easiest way to do it.

:clap: Stu

nougat
05-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Sue i went there and thats where i see the one sunday blotchy. Now the one today was coming in well LOL keyboard and all LOL. But i have went to Joes sight that leads you to ustream. I click on the videos as they said . Then it asks to sign in so i sign in with the wetcanvaslive/Monet2012
and all it says is invalid id or password.
So i went to just play it and try to download it with the player he has us download and get a green blotcy broken video.
Just disappointed i know this isnt joe its with Ustream but i really wanted to follow along. I was going good sunday after i rebooted 4 times. Then my goofy wifi battery died and when i went to get back in it was a mess and rebooting did nothing. SIGH So i will just try to follow the photos of the finished product . Know i missed a lot especially grasses. I won't defeated i will try to do it anyway.

hi
DON'T log in as wetcanvas + monet.
go to ustream and REGISTER as a new account with your own nickname and password. then use THAT to log in and see/download the video.

nougat
05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Jo the painting is beautiful :)
thank you for the wonderful demo.
i've registered for the upcoming paintalongs :)

Rosemarie
05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
It is lovely, Johannes! You pulled it off again!:clap:

Could you tell me which paper you think works best for PanPastels?

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2012, 09:59 AM
It is lovely, Johannes! You pulled it off again!:clap:

Could you tell me which paper you think works best for PanPastels?
I used Spectrum Colorfix sanded but Panpastel company recommends pastelmat

Rosemarie
05-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks!
I am working on Sundays Paint along on Fabriano Studio Watercolour paper and it works but can feel it isn't the best option. It is my second pastel painting ever.

nougat
05-17-2012, 10:21 AM
umm can we download yesterday's demo??

Rosemarie
05-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes, nougat! I have already done it.

Sonni
05-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Jo, would you post the ref photo you painted from? I never did see it.

Weds. sound and picture was better than Sunday. There were some black screens, but then you said something about that being a camera issue. On Sunday, I had to reboot several times, not so on Wed. The sound was good. I did not pay the 3.99 so I got a few commercials. If one were to take the classes you are offering, paying the few bucks for a session with no commercials is worth it.

My only suggestion to you is to show the reference photo from time to time. You could put it up during breaks.

A note on pastels--I've been using them for years and you really should not blow the dust from your support. Instead, "spank" the back of the support with the painting facing down. Just about every pastellist I've taken workshops from and talked to recommends this method.The dust is so fine you get it in your lungs as does everyone else in the room.

If you want to erase an area, canned air works really well--out side with the wind blowing away from you. To totally erase a failed painting so you can use the support again, take it to a gas station and use the air for inflating tires. Voila! New surface.

You can use a kneadable eraser. The best way is to press it against the surface and lift. Knead it to clean and repeat until area is lifted to your satisfaction. Rubbing changes the texture of the pastel paper a bit, and it is noticable with pastel re application.

You can slightly "fix" your painting between layers with Spectrafix. It is non toxic and can be used in a studio environment. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. The trick is to spray lightly, let dry, then spray lightly again.

You can use almost any pastel surface with Pan Pastels. Just expect them to handle differently on the different surfaces. I use them on the smooth side of Canson Mi Teintes , which is an inexpensive pastel paper. Many well known pastel painters use this paper. Check the work of Lorenzo Chavez and Harley Brown, who use stick pastels. Still you can do an underpainting in Pans, spray and then use the sticks over it. The Canson MT needs to be taped down on all sides to a hard support. You will notice some buckling when spraying, but it will lie flat again. If it doesn't, you have sprayed too much and gotten it too wet.

Rosemarie
05-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Sonni - you can still see the photo if you go to Improvemypaintings and click you way to watch the video. In the text above the video window click on the word "here" and you will see the beautiful photo.

nougat
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2012/15364-Capture.JPG um HOW?

i followed the instructions - i think - and only get the 13th may downloads.
i want the ones of 16th may and i can't find them. :(

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks!
I am working on Sundays Paint along on Fabriano Studio Watercolour paper and it works but can feel it isn't the best option. It is my second pastel painting ever.
If the paper is too smooth it wont work

Rosemarie
05-17-2012, 01:36 PM
If the paper is too smooth it wont work
Yes, I get about 1,5 but I still get a painting. I will try to get the pastelmat.
By the way I am Fruhulda :wave:

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Jo, would you post the ref photo you painted from? I never did see it.

Weds. sound and picture was better than Sunday. There were some black screens, but then you said something about that being a camera issue. On Sunday, I had to reboot several times, not so on Wed. The sound was good. I did not pay the 3.99 so I got a few commercials. If one were to take the classes you are offering, paying the few bucks for a session with no commercials is worth it.

My only suggestion to you is to show the reference photo from time to time. You could put it up during breaks.

A note on pastels--I've been using them for years and you really should not blow the dust from your support. Instead, "spank" the back of the support with the painting facing down. Just about every pastellist I've taken workshops from and talked to recommends this method.The dust is so fine you get it in your lungs as does everyone else in the room.

If you want to erase an area, canned air works really well--out side with the wind blowing away from you. To totally erase a failed painting so you can use the support again, take it to a gas station and use the air for inflating tires. Voila! New surface.

You can use a kneadable eraser. The best way is to press it against the surface and lift. Knead it to clean and repeat until area is lifted to your satisfaction. Rubbing changes the texture of the pastel paper a bit, and it is noticable with pastel re application.

You can slightly "fix" your painting between layers with Spectrafix. It is non toxic and can be used in a studio environment. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. The trick is to spray lightly, let dry, then spray lightly again.

You can use almost any pastel surface with Pan Pastels. Just expect them to handle differently on the different surfaces. I use them on the smooth side of Canson Mi Teintes , which is an inexpensive pastel paper. Many well known pastel painters use this paper. Check the work of Lorenzo Chavez and Harley Brown, who use stick pastels. Still you can do an underpainting in Pans, spray and then use the sticks over it. The Canson MT needs to be taped down on all sides to a hard support. You will notice some buckling when spraying, but it will lie flat again. If it doesn't, you have sprayed too much and gotten it too wet.
I can't tap it because I have the paper perfectly lined up for the camera. I had not thought about the canned air pressure. Thanks for the tip.

Sonni
05-17-2012, 01:44 PM
um HOW?

i followed the instructions - i think - and only get the 13th may downloads.
i want the ones of 16th may.

I got the same. I'd like to see the May 16 ref. to see how he resolved the depth issue.

Sonni
05-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I can't tap it because I have the paper perfectly lined up for the camera. I had not thought about the canned air pressure. Thanks for the tip.

Oh.. wearing a mask is a good idea then, though I hate the things. Paula Ford turned me on to the Totobobo mask and it is very good for particle pollutants.

Rosemarie
05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't know which way you guys went but I went Improvemypaintings.com > WATCH FREE LIVE CLASS > GoToVideo > Scrolled down and there they are > How you then do it I don't know. On Mac in Firefox I have Sothink web video downloader that starts

nougat
05-17-2012, 02:46 PM
followed jo's instructions.
ie
i logged in with the name and password he gave us.
then i went to > improvemypaintings > watch free live class > and scroll down to the yellow url with downloadrecordings in the name. when i click that i get the links of 13th may and not the 16th may.

so you're having the same problem Sonni?

hi rosemarie i did not know you were fruhulda. i'm nougat :D

Rosemarie
05-17-2012, 03:03 PM
hi rosemarie i did not know you were fruhulda. i'm nougat :D

Hi nougat!

nougat
05-17-2012, 03:10 PM
i have a pc and firefox + downloadhelper. i play the vids on ustream and download with this extension. i'm downloading now. BUT the clips seem very short...too short for a 2 hour demo...are yours complete??

Rosemarie
05-17-2012, 03:25 PM
No, nougat, they are not. First Johannes forgot to start the camera and then there were breaks. They are about 35 min all together but then it is after I have converted them to MP4 format which seems to shorten the playtime.

Don't worry, you'll remember most of the session when you see the snippets.

nougat
05-17-2012, 03:42 PM
oh ok no problem -i just wondered.

Sonni
05-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Nougat...yes. May 13 is there, not May 16.

nougat
05-17-2012, 04:27 PM
HEWILLFORGIVEU

ignore my post...it was wrong.
sorry.

hi
DON'T log in as wetcanvas + monet.
go to ustream and REGISTER as a new account with your own nickname and password. then use THAT to log in and see/download the video.

nougat
05-17-2012, 04:28 PM

thank you sonni - i thought i was missing something!! :)

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2012, 05:44 PM
May 16 is there
Just go to the video to see the recordings.

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2012, 06:35 PM
I felt the tree were over simplified so here is an update.

Holly B.
05-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for posting the finished piece here, very inspiring.
Are we who followed along posting our finished work as well? (Guessing not since i don't see any here ;).

Sonni
05-17-2012, 07:12 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Jo...

Holly, May 16 was suppose to be a 2 hr demo, not a paint-a-long. I tried to paint along and lost it. If you managed to do a painting, please post it.

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2012, 07:38 PM
More light

hewill4giveu
05-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Yippie i am soooooo excited i had a land line put in today. Was using a mifi card worthless. It had enough to play Joes videos sometime. For anyone else who might be using it. Remember more than you are using the same feed and it makes a BIG difference. IT WAS NOT USTREAM i think living in a bigger town made a difference more people using it. It is the same principle as someone in your home using it at the same time. I came from a smaller town and it worked there but not here. WHEW now i can enjoy my classes unlimited.

NOW JOE i have a question about the paint alongs. Will they be available after the fact. I don't know if i can sign up and follow but would like to download them once the classes are over. Having to budget since retirement. I love following along worked great what i got to do. Thanks

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Yippie i am soooooo excited i had a land line put in today. Was using a mifi card worthless. It had enough to play Joes videos sometime. For anyone else who might be using it. Remember more than you are using the same feed and it makes a BIG difference. IT WAS NOT USTREAM i think living in a bigger town made a difference more people using it. It is the same principle as someone in your home using it at the same time. I came from a smaller town and it worked there but not here. WHEW now i can enjoy my classes unlimited.

NOW JOE i have a question about the paint alongs. Will they be available after the fact. I don't know if i can sign up and follow but would like to download them once the classes are over. Having to budget since retirement. I love following along worked great what i got to do. Thanks
No, we are not contemplating selling them because for that they would need to be edited and that would downgrade the video too much to make it attractive to sell. What you can do is pay the tuition even if you don't sit in on the classes live but that would entitle you to get the downloads.

cmedford
05-18-2012, 01:40 AM
I didn't get to watch this paint along on Mother's Day because we had family visiting. Does anybody know if the recording has been posted on line and if so where?

Also, I've registered for the four week Sunday class. Does anybody know if Ustream is going to be used? If so, I am thinking I want to sign up for the commercial free use ahead of time, so just wondering if anybody has an answer to this question.

Happy painting.

Carol Medford

Amandine
05-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Carol, did you go through the "Live Paint Along Classes DiscussionThread" ? Everything should be there, all the answers to your questions.

Rosemarie
05-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I didn't get to watch this paint along on Mother's Day because we had family visiting. Does anybody know if the recording has been posted on line and if so where?

Also, I've registered for the four week Sunday class. Does anybody know if Ustream is going to be used? If so, I am thinking I want to sign up for the commercial free use ahead of time, so just wondering if anybody has an answer to this question.

Happy painting.

Carol Medford

Yes, as far as I know Ustream will be used. Johannes solved the problems we had last sunday.

Johannes Instructor
05-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Happy painting.

Carol Medford

hewill4giveu
05-18-2012, 11:41 AM
No, we are not contemplating selling them because for that they would need to be edited and that would downgrade the video too much to make it attractive to sell. What you can do is pay the tuition even if you don't sit in on the classes live but that would entitle you to get the downloads.

SIGH okay well its a budget issue at this time. Perhaps the next set i can order then. I couldn't do them live anyway with church on Sunday unless you do them at 1:00. HUM sounds like i need to hit my brother up for a loan LOL. I absolutely LOVE the paint alongs. Working on mountain now.
Thanks JOE

Rosemarie
05-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Teresa, the Paint Along will start at 1 PM EST.

Noula
05-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Jo it was easy to download the Paint Alongs of the 13th and 16th using Chrome browser and the password you provided......impossible before! Viewing Live in Greece, there a few images(commercials?) without sound at the beginning of the broadcast. A few small Google adds do pop up but these can be removed immediately with a “click”. These Paint Alongs are excellent.:clap: Thank you. I do understand that your Golden Nuggets apply to all mediums but was wondering if you are contemplating to offer a Paint Along in one specific medium only........ all the classes in that Paint Along in the same medium.

Athena

Holly B.
05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2012/217673-Pastel__paint-along_with_Jo_of_Running_Falls_001_640x480.jpg Good thing i didn't know it wasn't a 'paint-along'...:wink2:
Spent about 3 hours on it and loving my new Panpastels and applicators,wow, thank you again Jo!
H.
P.S. This isn't so high-key but the flash made it so.

Rosemarie
05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
WOW Holly! It is beautiful!

Johannes Instructor
05-18-2012, 01:07 PM
SIGH okay well its a budget issue at this time. Perhaps the next set i can order then. I couldn't do them live anyway with church on Sunday unless you do them at 1:00. HUM sounds like i need to hit my brother up for a loan LOL. I absolutely LOVE the paint alongs. Working on mountain now.
Thanks JOE
They are at 1 PM EDT

Johannes Instructor
05-18-2012, 01:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2012/217673-Pastel__paint-along_with_Jo_of_Running_Falls_001_640x480.jpg Good thing i didn't know it wasn't a 'paint-along'...:wink2:
Spent about 3 hours on it and loving my new Panpastels and applicators,wow, thank you again Jo!
H.
P.S. This isn't so high-key but the flash made it so.
Cool the intensity of the greens more and you will have a pretty painting.

Holly B.
05-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Will do, me and my greens, whoa.
Thank you (to Rosemarie too)!
:D

Amandine
05-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Just a word to let you know, Jo, that UStream finally found a way to fix the trouble I had to access any videos they were broadcasting. It took a while (4 days in fact) but, now it's O.K. I feel relieved. :music::music::music:

Rosemarie
05-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Just a word to let you know, Jo, that UStream finally found a way to fix the trouble I had to access any videos they were broadcasting. It took a while (4 days in fact) but, now it's O.K. I feel relieved. :music::music::music:

What did Ustream do then?

Amandine
05-19-2012, 08:50 AM
What did Ustream do then?
I really don't know what they did. I received a first e-mail from a guy of the Ustream Communauty Support. He asked me to run a certain test - which failed - and after that, he mentioned he had sent information to the engineering team. Finally, yesterday, I received a new mail mentioning they had made a "change". What kind of change ?? Don't know. But, it works ! :)

Rosemarie
05-19-2012, 08:54 AM
So it was something on their end that gave you problems. Good it got solved.

Art Leat
05-19-2012, 04:22 PM
How does one log in to live chat in Johannes' classes? I'm able to type in my comments in the dialogue box, but when I click ENTER nothing appears in the chat window. I've tried unsuccessfully several times

robertsloan2
05-19-2012, 04:46 PM
When I type into live chat, I get a prompt to log in at Ustream. Once I log in, then I can chat. I think it works the same way at Justin and the other streaming video alternate choices.

In the actual Webinars, you can't chat. The live chats are only in the Option 1, Option 2 and so on streaming videos from ImproveMyPaintings dot com. So if you're in the Webinar and not seeing chat, don't worry about it.

During the Paint Alongs there will be live chat because he's using one of the video services instead of the webinar software.

nougat
05-19-2012, 04:48 PM
ART LEAT
what robert said PLUS - DON'T press enter... click the button near the chat type-in box called 'say' or 'said'...:)

Amandine
05-19-2012, 05:07 PM
ART LEAT
what robert said PLUS - DON'T press enter... click the button near the chat type-in box called 'say' or 'said'...:)
I do press "enter" and it works, I chat. It doesn't work for you Nougat ??

mickisew
05-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Just in case someone else does not notice ... I registered for the Sunday live classes on May 11. However, upon receiving my receipt for the purchase from Northlight, I just filed it. I did not notice the "confirm your registration" at the bottom of the receipt. It has been a while since we had paid classes, and it slipped my mind. For some odd reason, I checked the receipt today. Silly me.

So, be sure to confirm your registration for the Sunday paint-alongs!

Micki

paintncook
05-19-2012, 05:59 PM
I press enter too when in chat and it works for me. What I'd like to know is how to get the chat to appear on the side and not at the bottom. Sometimes it is on the side where I want it and if I go back in and out enlarging the picture the chat will be UNDER Johannes' demo where I don't want it and I can't get it to back to the side.

paintncook
05-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Also, I wish there were two chat boxes - one for the goofing around stuff and one for the people who want to ask questions and get information useful to learn. I find so much meaningless chatting going on that I can't get the answers I look for and so much chat goes on that I can't get any questions posted. It's not that I don't engage in this meaningless stuff too, I just wish we could separate it or have some time outs for serious stuff.

paintncook
05-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Just in case someone else does not notice ... I registered for the Sunday live classes on May 11. However, upon receiving my receipt for the purchase from Northlight, I just filed it. I did not notice the "confirm your registration" at the bottom of the receipt. It has been a while since we had paid classes, and it slipped my mind. For some odd reason, I checked the receipt today. Silly me.

So, be sure to confirm your registration for the Sunday paint-alongs!

Micki
Yes, I think that is how I found out what my password to access the paintalongs was.

paintncook
05-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Did Johannes say what medium he is using next Sunday? I'll be out of town for a week and will take my pastels along if it is pastel - otherwise I'll be using watercolor - being sure to take a pastry brush and leave the rigger home, lol.

grtill
05-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Signed up for Sunday PaintAlongs and am really looking forward to it. I'm currently down in Guatemala, so this is great fun to be able to paint along with you up in Canada. :)

mickisew
05-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Did Johannes say what medium he is using next Sunday? I'll be out of town for a week and will take my pastels along if it is pastel - otherwise I'll be using watercolor - being sure to take a pastry brush and leave the rigger home, lol.

Kathy: I just feel so stupid for not reading the entire email from Northlight. :) I did not hear Johannes say what media we are using tomorrow only that we will give them all a go over the four weeks. Micki

grtill
05-19-2012, 07:32 PM
For those who are trying to download videos on Ustream, here is what I did....

Note: I am using Firefox as a browser and have installed the addon "Flash Video Downloader Youtube Downloader 3.6.1" Both work great. (I had problems with orbits downloader. Mamutu said it was exhibiting suspicious behavior, so I uninstalled it.)

Once you have your addon installed (you may have to restart Firefox first before it will show the download button), click on any of the videos at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wetcanvaslive1/videos
Once it begins to load you will see that the download button (on your toolbar at the top of Firefox) has changed from a little grey arrow with a red x to a light blue arrow (might take a minute before it changes). This indicates that there is a video on the page that you can download. Click on the blue arrow and you will see a file that you can download. Click on that file and save it to your computer. Done.

Also, if you don't like the format that it is in (especially because you can't pause it or move around in the video or whatever), you can download a lovely free program called Format Factory. It lets you change any video or music file to practically any other format you like.
You can download it here: http://www.formatoz.com/download.html

If you need help figuring out how to do any of this let me know. I'll do what I can to help.

mickisew
05-19-2012, 07:42 PM
I press enter too when in chat and it works for me. What I'd like to know is how to get the chat to appear on the side and not at the bottom. Sometimes it is on the side where I want it and if I go back in and out enlarging the picture the chat will be UNDER Johannes' demo where I don't want it and I can't get it to back to the side.

Reduce the size of your screen (zoom out) until the chat appears at the side again.

Yes, it would be nice to have two chat windows, but I do not think it is possible. The chat goes so quickly that I can't read it - I go full screen and ignore the chat all together.

TerryKrysak
05-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Just wanted to thank Jo for doing this, nobody on the internet is doing something like this for such a low cost. The fact that he not only explains what he is doing, but explains WHY is just brilliant!!!! And based on the broadcast Wednesday, the technical issues with the video stalling, and the audio cutting out have been resolved.

paintncook
05-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Reduce the size of your screen (zoom out) until the chat appears at the side again.

Yes, it would be nice to have two chat windows, but I do not think it is possible. The chat goes so quickly that I can't read it - I go full screen and ignore the chat all together.
Thanks, if I can figure out how to reduce the window size I'll try it. I realize we can't have 2 chat windows, it is just frustrating when you do have a question to ask. I generally have to give up on it and watch it full size - you can't learn and chat at the same time. Poor Johannes, he must be overwhelmed by all of this.

callady
05-19-2012, 08:13 PM
How do I go to full screen? I tried clicking everywhere. I think I was in #l mode from "improvemypaintings.com. I don't want to be sidetracked by the chat while I'm listening to Jo talk and paint....my brain can only take in one thing at a time!!!!

paintncook
05-19-2012, 08:30 PM
How do I go to full screen? I tried clicking everywhere. I think I was in #l mode from "improvemypaintings.com. I don't want to be sidetracked by the chat while I'm listening to Jo talk and paint....my brain can only take in one thing at a time!!!!
On the video screen go down to the lower right corner and there is a little square. If you put your mouse over it, I think is says "full screen." Click on it and your screen should expand full size. Hit escape on your computer to go back to the smaller screen. The little square is contained in the video screen, not outside of it

mickisew
05-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks, if I can figure out how to reduce the window size I'll try it. I realize we can't have 2 chat windows, it is just frustrating when you do have a question to ask. I generally have to give up on it and watch it full size - you can't learn and chat at the same time. Poor Johannes, he must be overwhelmed by all of this.
Kathy: I don't know what browser you are using. In Firefox you can either hit the "Control" and the "minus" key or you can go to the top tool bar, click on "view" and click "zoom out". Depending on how large you have made your screen, you may have to do it over again until you get the chat to the right side of the screen. Micki

mickisew
05-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Just wanted to thank Jo for doing this, nobody on the internet is doing something like this for such a low cost. The fact that he not only explains what he is doing, but explains WHY is just brilliant!!!! And based on the broadcast Wednesday, the technical issues with the video stalling, and the audio cutting out have been resolved.

Terry - You are so right, my friend. I was watching through UStream and my only glitch was a screen freeze. I even checked, and I was the only one on the net. After a cold boot all was well.

You know I have taken other on-line classes, and by far, Johannes is the best. It is wonderful to have this opportunity to participate in the live classes starting tomorrow at such a reasonable price. I hope everyone takes advantage of this opportunity. Words don't do justice - all I can do is say "THANK YOU JOHANNES".

See you tomorrow, Terry

Micki

gourdalicious
05-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Jo said he would be using oil tomorrow.

Tonalist
05-19-2012, 08:57 PM
I did not notice the "confirm your registration" at the bottom of the receipt.

Micki.. are you sure this is the password?.. the reason I ask is that "complete your registration", at the bottom of the receipt, says to go to "Gotomeeting" and I thought Jo said he wasn't going to use Gotomeeting tomorrow?

Also someone asked what medium Jo was using tomorrow.. I think I remember him saying Oils..

anymore information on this password thing please let me know.

woody

Johannes Instructor
05-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Oils tomorrow.

Johannes Instructor
05-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Micki.. are you sure this is the password?.. the reason I ask is that "complete your registration", at the bottom of the receipt, says to go to "Gotomeeting" and I thought Jo said he wasn't going to use Gotomeeting tomorrow?

Also someone asked what medium Jo was using tomorrow.. I think I remember him saying Oils..

anymore information on this password thing please let me know.

woody
I will not use go to meeting tomorrow. We just used that to have a registration list and emails I could have access to.

Tonalist
05-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks Jo for clearing that up. I guess you'll be emailing the password to
us that have paid.

woody

Johannes Instructor
05-19-2012, 09:42 PM
us that have paid.

woody
Let's make sure send me an email to see if you are on the list. You should've gotten when you paid.

paintncook
05-19-2012, 10:09 PM
us that have paid.

woody
I don't know what Johannes will be emailing us, but I got a password when I confirmed my registration with Northlight. I'm assuming I'll need to use that tomorrow. Did you confirm your registration? See post #199 above.

nougat
05-19-2012, 11:40 PM
AMANDINE & PAINTNCOOK & ART LEAT
yesterday for the first time ever i had both LIVESTREAM and USTREAM opened together and chatted in BOTH. the 'enter' worked on one but NOT on the other - i had to click say/said.
but i don't remember which site it was.

Tonalist
05-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Let's make sure send me an email to see if you are on the list. You should've gotten when you paid.

Never mind.. Although I paid a week ago I never finished the registration process.. All good now.

woody

chalet_dor
05-20-2012, 12:02 AM

Now I am worried! I have no memory of what I did. I paid for the class seems like just as soon as it was announced..........going to send you an e-mail Jo to see if I am on the list.........Dorian :confused: I know for darn sure I have no idea at this moment how to get to the class. I just know that it is 12:00 PM for me because I am central time.........

Forget it......:clap: I am registered because I have a message telling me about the class tomorrow with my ID............My brain is not what it is used to be! see you tomorrow, or in the morning or what ever time it is for you.............dor:))

paintncook
05-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Now I am worried! I have no memory of what I did. I paid for the class seems like just as soon as it was announced..........going to send you an e-mail Jo to see if I am on the list.........Dorian :confused: I know for darn sure I have no idea at this moment how to get to the class. I just know that it is 12:00 PM for me because I am central time.........

Forget it......:clap: I am registered because I have a message telling me about the class tomorrow with my ID............My brain is not what it is used to be! see you tomorrow, or in the morning or what ever time it is for you.............dor:))
HAHA, this reminds me of the nightmares I had for decades after graduating from college. I wouldn't know where my classes were, what they were or what time they started, plus I had missed several and they were having an exam. It was always so good to wake up in the morning to find it was all a bad dream. I just trust I'll be able to figure it out when the time comes, if not I'll have to watch the reruns, haha.:crossfingers:

chalet_dor
05-20-2012, 01:14 AM
Oh you are making me laugh..........I tell you my brain has had a real work out learning all this techincal computer stuff and when I hear Jo on line getting confused about broadcasting I just sit here and laugh some more............:lol:

chalet_dor
05-20-2012, 01:17 AM
About your nightmares about still being in college and being late for class and stuff........I am a retired cosmetologist. And I still have vivid nightmares about screwing up a clients hair!:eek: Never did, but alway worried I would. : ))

Johannes Instructor
05-20-2012, 07:20 AM
About your nightmares about still being in college and being late for class and stuff........I am a retired cosmetologist. And I still have vivid nightmares about screwing up a clients hair!:eek: Never did, but alway worried I would. : ))
How about my nightmares of screwing up a painting in front of hundreds of people? LOL

nougat
05-20-2012, 07:33 AM
:) :) :)

nougat
05-20-2012, 07:36 AM
not possible johannes!! :)

Rosemarie
05-20-2012, 08:02 AM
No, it can't be possible any more, Johannes! You have had a lot of practise and all paintings have come out perfect to excellent!!!

PETE K
05-20-2012, 02:47 PM
I was unbable to get into paint along. A code that was email me got me to goto meeting than nothing. but that wasn't the place to go. no other info for password.

Rosemarie
05-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Pete - to finish the registration you have to click on the supplied Gotomeeting link . This will generate a new email with further instructions and password. Find that mail. If you can't find it email Johannes. There is a contact link on improvemypaintings.com. His son is helping out with answering emails.

robertsloan2
05-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Painted along today in my Stillman & Birn Beta journal. The painting is only 5" x 6" so it's nowhere near as detailed as JV's. I stopped before most of the finishing details because they'd have cluttered this little thing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2012/70184-5-21-2012-Bridge-Scene.jpg
Bridge Scene
5" x 6"
Acrylic on 180lb watercolor paper (Stillman & Birn Beta journal)
Photo reference by Johannes Vloothuis, painted during Paint Along session on May 21 2012 Not an exact copy.

spudsmom
05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Awesome paint along class today, Jo! I ended up with a fairly decent painting and will try to take a photo tomorrow in better light.

It's my birthday and I got to spend it just the way I wanted...painting with Johannes!:clap:

Thank you!
Sherri

Sgourlayart
05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Painted along today in my Stillman & Birn Beta journal. The painting is only 5" x 6" so it's nowhere near as detailed as JV's. I stopped before most of the finishing details because they'd have cluttered this little thing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2012/70184-5-21-2012-Bridge-Scene.jpg
Bridge Scene
5" x 6"
Acrylic on 180lb watercolor paper (Stillman & Birn Beta journal)
Photo reference by Johannes Vloothuis, painted during Paint Along session on May 21 2012 Not an exact copy.Nice painting Robert. Stu

sue.w
05-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Robert - good job!

I have to keep reminding myself if I'm going to paint small to leave out the details.
I had been painting the follow along session on either 11 x 14 or 9 x 12 and even that size made it difficult as I felt I was trying to cram in too much detail so for today's session I decided to match Joe & go for the 16 x 20 - wow what a difference it has made, and I'm surprised that I was able to keep up fairly well. - A BIG Brush helped!

Sue

paintncook
05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Nice painting Robert. I can really feel the sun. I missed the last half due to having to leave for San Luis Obispo. Now I anxiously await instructions and a link so I can download today's class. I brought my paints with me to SLO.

paintncook
05-20-2012, 09:47 PM
I was unbable to get into paint along. A code that was email me got me to goto meeting than nothing. but that wasn't the place to go. no other info for password.
I had a terrible time too until I figured it out.
#1 Be sure you confirmed your registration with Northlight. When you do they send you an email with the secret password in it.
#2 When you go to Ustream be sure you are signed or logged in. Where your name is at the top there is a drop down screen. Go to 'Crowds and Notifications'. There you will see the Wetcanvaslive screen. Click on it and everywhere it says to enter the secret password sent to you by Northlight, you enter it. Then the video should start.

I had trouble because I didn't realize you had to go to that drop down screen to get to the place to enter the password. I kept entering Wetcanvas and only got a black screen that said offline. Took me forever to figure out there was a drop down screen under my sign on name. I hope this helps, but maybe I'm the only clueless one in the crowd.
Kathy

chalet_dor
05-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Beautiful painting Robert......I am so happy for you.................dor:))

painterted
05-20-2012, 11:27 PM
This was a great class today Jo. This is the first time that I painted along with you and found it interesting and enjoyable. When I first saw the picture for todays class, I said wow this looks like it's going to be hard to paint but after we got going it was actually easy. You do a great job in teaching.

ted

nougat
05-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks for a great paint along Johannes.
for the first 1&1/2 hours the video was constantly cutting sound, freezing and blacking out so i had to give up my hopes of painting along.
HOWEVER after you adjusted the settings...YAY!!! it was near perfect!!!
i REALLY ENJOYED watching - but i could not stay till the end cos it was getting late here - and i had to get to bed.
i sooo look forward to getting the download and hopefully having time to give it a go.

nougat
05-20-2012, 11:52 PM
robert your painting is lovely!!