PDA

View Full Version : Heart's Content

judithj
06-03-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey there!

Here is one of my latest paintings.

It is acrylic on canvas 20" x 24"

You cannot see it here, but I have been using the pearl and silver paint so it shimmers a little.

This is the reference for the owl: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=9894&papass=&sort=1

Thanks for looking, Judith

kare
06-03-2003, 10:27 PM
i really love the colour in this piece! owl is beautiful, moon looks great- creating a rippled effect in the sky. love the arch also.

surreal
06-03-2003, 11:03 PM
The colors are exquisitely beautiful.

judithj
06-03-2003, 11:17 PM
HI ciarrai!

I am very glad you like this peice - I had lots of fun doing it. It went through lots of incarnations and adventures before I got the 'done' feeling.

I really worked on the moon - my sweetheart is an amature astronomer and I really wanted to try to get the moon - correct so I got lots of help with reference - I didn't have enough space to do an accurate portrait of the moon with craters and all - perhaps the next one...;)

Surreal - I am so glad you like the colour. I am a colour pig and just love bright and saturated colours - I think I have a little rainbow goblin in me...

Some folks find my work garish for that reason - for me - they just cannot be bright enough - love incandescant and floresant paint too.

-Judith

sassybird
06-04-2003, 02:36 AM
The colors in the owl are bold yet subtle among the night background. The swirls around the moon are effective. Your limited pallete gives a punch to this subject.

Adrienne
06-04-2003, 07:46 AM
Wow - is this a continuation of the one that was on your other thread, or a whole new owl? Either way, very other-worldly in the coolest way!!! Really electric and watery and mysterious.

rapolina
06-04-2003, 08:40 AM
i like it!
why the title?

ciao, rapolina.:)

judithj
06-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Hi rapolina - The title comes out of the shape of the owl's face - there is a heart there - and this piece really does make me happy

Hi Adrienne - It is a continuation of the old one - I just got real brave and tried something way different - I really wrestled with this one - I had to make a few sacrifices to make the work gel. But I really had a blast with the whole process - When I put the ultramarine blue in the background - it was such a delight to watch that colour drip up the canvas - (I turned it upside down to get the sense of the drips growing up like trees)

Hi sassybird Bold and subtle at the same time - that's gotta be cool. I got the yinyang happening here.

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

-Judith

marc
06-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Ooh, I like this better now :D Major changes for sure, all that stuff in the background is like a velvet nightfall and the owl is standing in the entrance. I love those blue and green colours, very soothing. I'm still trying to appreciate some of the other ones.. the green mixing with the red and the brown hues in the owl more specifically.. but I like being challenged with variations that seem off to me within contexts that seem right.. if that makes any sense ;)

The moon does look very real and it provides a nice interplay with the owl.

judithj
06-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks Marc - I am glad you like it better now.

-Judith

Tamana
06-06-2003, 01:27 PM
The integration of the greens, violets et all give it an aquarium feel under neon lights that I would've liked to have seen continue across vs. within the archway over the owl. Glowmoon vibrations are like watching the ripple effect after it's hit the water. I am sure the shimmering adds the nocturnal touch. Goodly done. Yay for goodly!

Shalom,

Tam :)

judithj
06-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Gee Tam

Thanks for your kind words. -- Under water - I never thought of that but it does look like under water now that you mention it - I love aquariums. I find them very peaceful.

The arch was a bit of an after thought.

Have you posted any of your art recently?

-Judith

amanda
06-18-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by surreal
The colors are exquisitely beautiful.

Ditto from me. Lovely colour choices.

judithj
06-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Hi Amanda - thanks for your kind words - colours sure are fun.

-Judith

Nisha
06-18-2003, 11:26 AM
This is gorgeous!
I really love the way the colours almost emanate from the owl in the darkness of the night. Beautiful!
Lovely, deep colours and there is definitely heart in this one! :D

Nisha:D

boo
06-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Your use of colour is fantastic. The moon and its surround are great also

boo

judithj
06-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks for your kind words Nisha - the owl is kind of glowing isn't he.

Speaking about glowing - I got a brand new to me colour in acrylic paint yesterday called Interference Blue - I've never used it before - it is very shimmery I just love it - I kind of want to daub it over some of these finished works.:)

But exercising great restraint and better judgment - I'm going to wait to use it on a new one.

Thanks Boo - I really am glad you like the colours.

Warmest Regards, Judith

deevaa
06-19-2003, 12:54 AM
Wonderful colours!

judithj
06-19-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by deevaa
Yummy
Wonderful colours!

Thanks deevaa

I love colour too and when I get a painting that looks good enough to eat I figure that I'm onto something.

Rainbow Goblins... ;)

-Judith

jaymarvin
06-19-2003, 05:45 PM
It glows and is soft at the same time. The moon is just great!

Jay

judithj
06-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by jaymarvin
It glows and is soft at the same time. The moon is just great!

Jay

Thanks Jay - I'm glad you like this one.

-Judith

lizzy
06-22-2003, 04:54 AM
rad

judithj
06-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by lizzy
rad

Thanks Lizzy!