PDA

View Full Version : color pallet questions

Gutshot
06-03-2003, 06:19 PM
I posted this in figure drawing as well. Anyone have recomendations on color selections to have for figure drawing? I'd like to give it a try as all my figure drawing up until now has been graphite or charcoal. I just don't quite know where to start when it comes to color selection.

CarlyHardy
06-03-2003, 06:31 PM
You might like to check out several manufacturers that put together sets of pastels. They have portrait sets available.

This is the direction I took when I first began with pastels and wanted a variety of colors for landscapes. After painting with a Sennelier and an American Artworks set, I now know better which individual sticks that I need to replace. Certain colors I use more and others less. I think you'll find this true of portrait painting as well.

Check out some of the portraits by other artists here in the forums...many share colors within the individual threads.

carly

jackiesimmonds
06-04-2003, 03:37 AM
Buying a portrait set to begin with is a great idea. Introduce yourself to colour gradually - if you start with a tonal rendition (shades of browns thro to pale oranges and creams) you will be less nervous about it. There is quite enough to tackle with a figure without breaking your head over colour!

Gradually, when you start to become familiar with the way to use pastel, you can begin to introduce more adventurous colour - blues and green and purples in the cool areas, and hotter colours where the light strikes. So long as you are true to the tones (values) you see on the body, you can use just about any colour you want.

Jackie